Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 11, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #4,396 of 16,931

Quote:

For the amount of bass that it has, I think the E10 has excellent clarity but in the budget segment you can't quite have it both ways. For what it's worth the E10 is reasonably quick and has decent enough dynamics so it doesn't sound bloated. If you're a vocal lover you might find it a bit too v-shaped but then again if your Resonance isn't delivering enough bass, the ProAlpha won't do it either. Have you considered jumping to the Brainwavz M2 or Xears TD-III? They are both mid-forward and bassy while retaining decent enough treble and presentation.

I'm in Europe and E10/M1/ProAlpha/TD-III (All Xears models) are in the same pricerange. M2 (€45) is even more expensive than any Xears model (€38). Since I already have 2 Xears models, the Resonance and XSR330PRO I wanted to try out a IEM from a different brand. But by reading your reviews i'm not sure I should go for other brands. Unfortunately I don't think you have tried the XSR because it's not a sound signature I like. I feel the bass it produces dominates a bit too much and the vocals are too much in the front, that even sometimes some words are just too hard to hear. I like them a bit further away. Maybe it's because of the XSR that I find the Resonance bass light. When I first got them I don't think they were THAT bass light, now whenever I use them again they are devoid of any bass :/

The M2 scored lower than the TD-III and in it's turn it scored lower than the XE200PRO. This one and N3i are your highest scoring Xears models. Shouldn't I go for one of these instead? Though the XE200PRO is sold out atm and will be available in a walnut version later on.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #4,397 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

For the amount of bass that it has, I think the E10 has excellent clarity but in the budget segment you can't quite have it both ways. For what it's worth the E10 is reasonably quick and has decent enough dynamics so it doesn't sound bloated. If you're a vocal lover you might find it a bit too v-shaped but then again if your Resonance isn't delivering enough bass, the ProAlpha won't do it either. Have you considered jumping to the Brainwavz M2 or Xears TD-III? They are both mid-forward and bassy while retaining decent enough treble and presentation.

I'm in Europe and E10/M1/ProAlpha/TD-III (All Xears models) are in the same pricerange. M2 (€45) is even more expensive than any Xears model (€38). Since I already have 2 Xears models, the Resonance and XSR330PRO I wanted to try out a IEM from a different brand. But by reading your reviews i'm not sure I should go for other brands. Unfortunately I don't think you have tried the XSR because it's not a sound signature I like. I feel the bass it produces dominates a bit too much and the vocals are too much in the front, that even sometimes some words are just too hard to hear. I like them a bit further away. Maybe it's because of the XSR that I find the Resonance bass light. When I first got them I don't think they were THAT bass light, now whenever I use them again they are devoid of any bass :/

The M2 scored lower than the TD-III and in it's turn it scored lower than the XE200PRO. This one and N3i are your highest scoring Xears models. Shouldn't I go for one of these instead? Though the XE200PRO is sold out atm and will be available in a walnut version later on.

actually the M2 are $50 at mp4nation

btw, how would you describe the XSR330PRO  signature? and also is it comfortable?

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #4,398 of 16,931

Quote:

btw, how would you describe the XSR330PRO  signature? and also is it comfortable?

Doesn't it take ages before those mp4nation earbuds arrive?

XSR is bass heavy, a bit dominating imo. Vocals are too forward, sounds so close, like it's pushing into your brain, it loses detail, but with other songs the vocals sounds okay. With the resonance/all the other IEM I own I never had any problems with the vocal placement, but with the XSR it seems to be hit or miss, depending on the song. And soundstage could be bigger for my taste. But there are impressions from other people who really likes them, so ymmv.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4,399 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't it take ages before those mp4nation earbuds arrive?

XSR is bass heavy, a bit dominating imo. Vocals are too forward, sounds so close, like it's pushing into your brain, it loses detail, but with other songs the vocals sounds okay. With the resonance/all the other IEM I own I never had any problems with the vocal placement, but with the XSR it seems to be hit or miss, depending on the song. And soundstage could be bigger for my taste. But there are impressions from other people who really likes them, so ymmv.

is not a must, but it can take a lot. for example my B2 took about 10 to arrive the country but another 10 to arrive from the post office

as for the XRS. thanks for the info. i asked at xears.com about those and they said they were good with vocals and not bass-heavy. but after what you said, i wont get them for sure.
i hope the TD will be better

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #4,400 of 16,931

Quote:

is not a must, but it can take a lot. for example my B2 took about 10 to arrive the country but another 10 to arrive from the post office

as for the XRS. thanks for the info. i asked at xears.com about those and they said they were good with vocals and not bass-heavy. but after what you said, i wont get them for sure.

Did he really say that? He told me they had SUPER BASS lol. It's even advertised on his site as having clubsound. There are other members here who also said the vocals are quite forward, but still likes the overal sound quite a bit. I think the XE200PRO has a good balance between vocals/ vocals distance/bass and treble. Too bad I went with Thomas' recommendation of XSR. I don't think you should decide to buy them or not by only reading my impressions. I am not even within 1% of Joker's professionalism in reviewing IEMs. But I did try to be as honest as possible.

Here's a early impression from another member, Nuckinfutz:

Quote:
Build quality is not as good as the XT2 Pro or Brainwavz. The earphones themselves, being made from plastic, do feel cheap I must admit but the cable is very nice I definately prefer this to the braided version that tends to tangle, and maybe even preferable to the twisted version on the Brainwavz.

Fit is good.  Being made of plastic is a slight advantage here I think, they are very light so they stay put nicely.  I'm not having much joy wearing them over-the-ear though, can't seem to get a consistant seal.  There is driver flex, like most Xears as I understand.

Sound is very nice, extends at either end.  Not detected any sibilance yet, which is great as I have zero tollerance for it.  Bass is, well, huge but not overpowering.  At first I was listening to them on the same EQ as my ProAlphas and was like standing next to the bass bin at a rave!  A wee tweak here and there and I'm now getting a nice balanced sound out of them.  A/B comparison with the ProAlpha is fun, if a little unfair as PA have 100's of hours on them. The XSR has significantly more bass but it seems well controlled and not flabby at all.  Treble is nice and smooth, as mentioned no sibilance, a bit more sparkle than the Alpha so far.  The mids i'm unsure about, further forward than the Alpha.....or that may be a result of the soundstage - one area that I love in the Alpha's...XSR is definately smaller, more in-your-head.

The ProAlpha has less bass than the XSR but I wouldn't call them light, just not pronounced.  They are also tight and it doesn't colour the mids.  The treble is very similar I think, neither are sibilant, and sound nice and smooth to me.  Some people may prefer more sparkle.  As already mentioned the mids are more forward on the XSR, the ProAlpha are more recessed and smooth.  I definately prefer the mids on the Alpha's as well as the soundstage. 

I've been hitting the XSR with all types of heavy music so far today and been enjoying them.  Listening to Skrillex now and they sound great, more impacting than the Alpha.  Heavy rock and metal sound good, listening to Korn on the XSR is great for Fieldy's bass playing.  More mellow tracks show the XSR to be revealing, listened to some How to Destroy Angels and the clarity is excellent but, again, I'm not sure about the vocal placement....a little too forward for me.  I'm hoping they may change and 'open up' a little.  Not sure if soundstage is something that gets better with time?  Anyone?

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4,401 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Did he really say that? He told me they had SUPER BASS lol. It's even advertised on his site as having clubsound. There are other members here who also said the vocals are quite forward, but still likes the overal sound quite a bit. I think the XE200PRO has a good balance between vocals/ vocals distance/bass and treble. Too bad I went with Thomas' recommendation of XSR. I don't think you should decide to buy them or not by only reading my impressions. I am not even within 1% of Joker's professionalism in reviewing IEMs. But I did try to be as honest as possible.

Here's a early impression from another member, Nuckinfutz:

Quote:
Build quality is not as good as the XT2 Pro or Brainwavz. The earphones themselves, being made from plastic, do feel cheap I must admit but the cable is very nice I definately prefer this to the braided version that tends to tangle, and maybe even preferable to the twisted version on the Brainwavz.

Fit is good.  Being made of plastic is a slight advantage here I think, they are very light so they stay put nicely.  I'm not having much joy wearing them over-the-ear though, can't seem to get a consistant seal.  There is driver flex, like most Xears as I understand.

Sound is very nice, extends at either end.  Not detected any sibilance yet, which is great as I have zero tollerance for it.  Bass is, well, huge but not overpowering.  At first I was listening to them on the same EQ as my ProAlphas and was like standing next to the bass bin at a rave!  A wee tweak here and there and I'm now getting a nice balanced sound out of them.  A/B comparison with the ProAlpha is fun, if a little unfair as PA have 100's of hours on them. The XSR has significantly more bass but it seems well controlled and not flabby at all.  Treble is nice and smooth, as mentioned no sibilance, a bit more sparkle than the Alpha so far.  The mids i'm unsure about, further forward than the Alpha.....or that may be a result of the soundstage - one area that I love in the Alpha's...XSR is definately smaller, more in-your-head.

The ProAlpha has less bass than the XSR but I wouldn't call them light, just not pronounced.  They are also tight and it doesn't colour the mids.  The treble is very similar I think, neither are sibilant, and sound nice and smooth to me.  Some people may prefer more sparkle.  As already mentioned the mids are more forward on the XSR, the ProAlpha are more recessed and smooth.  I definately prefer the mids on the Alpha's as well as the soundstage. 

I've been hitting the XSR with all types of heavy music so far today and been enjoying them.  Listening to Skrillex now and they sound great, more impacting than the Alpha.  Heavy rock and metal sound good, listening to Korn on the XSR is great for Fieldy's bass playing.  More mellow tracks show the XSR to be revealing, listened to some How to Destroy Angels and the clarity is excellent but, again, I'm not sure about the vocal placement....a little too forward for me.  I'm hoping they may change and 'open up' a little.  Not sure if soundstage is something that gets better with time?  Anyone?

yes, he did said that, and even twice i think. i do like fwdd vocals but not that much. let's say the pl50 fwdness is a bit too much. the main singers sound too loud while the backgroung voices are almost null

yea and thanks for that impression quote

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #4,402 of 16,931

Quote:
yes, he did said that, and even twice i think. i do like fwdd vocals but not that much. let's say the pl50 fwdness is a bit too much. the main singers sound too loud while the backgroung voices are almost null

yea and thanks for that impression quote

Hi peeps.  I have updated the Xears thread with my thoughts.  I'm not certain my description of forward mids is neccessarily accurate, I think it's more a result of the very narrow soundstage that places vocals in your head that gave me this impression....it really needs someone like Joker to clarify. 

On that note, Joker you are a legend!  You have been thanked a thousand times but once more won't hurt
smily_headphones1.gif
I appreciate your efforts so much and enjoy reading your reviews very much...thanks!  It was based on this thread and your portables thread that I purchased the ProAlpha and the CAL!  They are both bang on the sound I like.

You may get a pair of XSR's in the post
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #4,404 of 16,931
Whilst I'm here, Joker can you give me some advice.  I mentioned on the Xears thread I would like to try:

Dunu Trident
Fischer Audio Eterna
Fischer Audio Genesis
Xears TD-III
Xears Resonance
HiSoundAudio Popo
Brainwavz M2

Based on myexperience with the XT2 Pro and XSR I think Xears may not be my thing.  I guess I'm after something similar to the ProAlpha but with more extention either end. I don't want anything with a narrow soundstage as I'm finding the Xears. I know you will say M2, and I will get them somewhen, but I would like to try other manufacturers.  I've left off Meelectronics from that list.....was looking at the SP51.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4,405 of 16,931

Quote:
Whilst I'm here, Joker can you give me some advice.  I mentioned on the Xears thread I would like to try:

Dunu Trident
Fischer Audio Eterna
Fischer Audio Genesis
Xears TD-III
Xears Resonance
HiSoundAudio Popo
Brainwavz M2

Based on myexperience with the XT2 Pro and XSR I think Xears may not be my thing.  I guess I'm after something similar to the ProAlpha but with more extention either end. I don't want anything with a narrow soundstage as I'm finding the Xears. I know you will say M2, and I will get them somewhen, but I would like to try other manufacturers.  I've left off Meelectronics from that list.....was looking at the SP51.

Thanks in advance.

i got the PoPo, and imo they're pretty heavy bass. just like the m11+, and maybe a bit more. but mids are definetly not recesed as with the m11+

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #4,407 of 16,931
Hey, ljokerl, (or anyone else who can answer this) do you think the GR07s would be a suitable upper-midrange upgrade from the A151's? I listen to mostly Indie/Alternative Rock, with some classical and miscellaneous stuff thrown in... Thanks for your work on this extremely helpful thread, btw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back