Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 16, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #406 of 16,931
Quote:
That TS-9002 looks quite interesting, and sports an uncanny resemblance to the Marantz HP101.  Thanks for introducing us to what seems like yet another great phone from Fischer.

Not seeing the Marantz for sale anywhere in the US though I've definitely heard the HP101 name before (just never saw what they looked like). There's also a Kanen model (thanks, jant) with the same housings but I'm not seeing that anywhere either. It'll probably be cheaper than the Fischers if it surfaces but as for the sound - who knows. 

Quote:
The Marantz HP101 would certainly be an earphone you should review. Been around for a while tbh, but still rather unknown. I can easily buy it here but go other commitments money wise I've afraid lols.

Just out of curiosity, what's it cost?

Quote:
Small note: The Denon C700 benefited going to a bi-flange tip.  I might suggest you try that out with the C710 as well.  It helps get rid of the midbass and treble bumps and flattens out the response.  A foam tip can help with this too.  The small single flange tip just isn't a good choice for the C700 and it may not be for the C710 either.

The C700 is a straight housing IIRC so that might work with bi-flanges, but the angled C710s really don't, at least not for me. Deep-fitting tips make them intrusive and they're a bit heavy and not exactly flush with my ears in the first place. Comply T(x)400s worked great but of course just add extra cost to the earphones in the long run. UE singles worked fine for me - the Denon stock tips seemed a little less soft/flexible. The treble really isn't offensive - not in the way something like the Grado iGi is.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #407 of 16,931
The Marantz hp101 typically goes for around $100 or so but then you would need some place that ships to US or someone to buy it for you in Japan and ship it to you.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #408 of 16,931
Mr. ljokerl, I registered to this forum for the express purpose of thanking you for your time invested & wealth of information you have provided in these reviews.

Admittedly, much of the terms & descriptions of audio were beyond me; nonetheless, I learned more about what I was looking for in an IEM & you have provided much food for thought. 

As it stands, I believe my choice comes down to the Soundmagic PL50 vs. Brainwavz M1.

Unfortunately I may need to start upgrading my audio files to a higher quality...

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #409 of 16,931
Quote:
The Marantz hp101 typically goes for around $100 or so but then you would need some place that ships to US or someone to buy it for you in Japan and ship it to you.

Ah thanks. Just as I thought - others are feeling justified to charge more for these housings and I can see why. Hopefully I'll get my hands on more budget-level Fischer phones in the future. Their designs are excellent and so far all three Fischer IEMs I've heard have been pretty darn good value for money.

Quote:
Mr. ljokerl, I registered to this forum for the express purpose of thanking you for your time invested & wealth of information you have provided in these reviews.

Admittedly, much of the terms & descriptions of audio were beyond me; nonetheless, I learned more about what I was looking for in an IEM & you have provided much food for thought. 

As it stands, I believe my choice comes down to the Soundmagic PL50 vs. Brainwavz M1.

Unfortunately I may need to start upgrading my audio files to a higher quality...

Thanks, I appreciate that. Just an FYI - the head-fi audio glossary might help you out in terms of the lingo and the IEM guide by ClieOS is a must-skim. Both are linked to in the first phone. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either the PL50 or M1. If it matters, I think the PL50 is slightly more forgiving of low bitrates but upgrading your tracks is a good idea either way.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #410 of 16,931
I am going for the phiaton ps210. I think it gives me too things I want! Not claustrophobic IEM and low isolation earbud.
I hope I get a way to get them in europe 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Added Denon AH-C710 and Fischer Audio Toughstuff TS-9002.

I wouldn't say the DDM sounds particularly open and it can be pretty tough too fit unless you're very comfortable with IEMs in general. I was thinking something along the lines of the Phiaton PS210 / ATH-CKS70/90 and Yamaha EPH-50. I'm sure there are others but these come to mind first. I only have the Yamahas and they really don't feel like IEMs at all - more like earbuds with a nozzle. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #412 of 16,931
Do you mean the bass is too much for you? Because I can't imagine it's the highs that are the problem.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #414 of 16,931
Quote:
I got Eterna's v1 some days ago and I hate them,they are too harsh and aggressive for me. What neutral/slightly warm IEM would you recommend to me? Budget is ~40£.

I would give the Eternas more time. The treble really shouldn't be very harsh. It's not soft but it falls pretty much square in the middle of the spectrum. If you want something more laid-back than that, you'd probably be after relatively rolled-off earphones with softer everything (i.e. ViSang R03). 

If you just want something inoffensive and balanced in that budget take a look at the Soundmagic PL50. They are so gentle that they can be downright boring at times. Wouldn't call them particularly warm but they lean towards the warmer side of neutral. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #415 of 16,931
Hi

I see you comparing the UE triple fi 10 to many IEMs in your list!
Now I am thinking about selling my triple fi 10. do you have a guess for how it would score in Sound quality?

I have bought a ck9, have you heard it? does it compare to any headphone on your list?

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #416 of 16,931
Quote:
I see you comparing the UE triple fi 10 to many IEMs in your list!
Now I am thinking about selling my triple fi 10. do you have a guess for how it would score in Sound quality?

High to very high - I don't mind the TF10 sound - only the fit. The TF10 does a lot of things well. Maybe not $400 well but well enough for the current US price. It's still one of the better bass-heavy multi-armature setups I've heard.

Quote:
I have bought a ck9, have you heard it? does it compare to any headphone on your list?

Sorry, never heard the CK9. It's a pretty old model and just as an FYI there are fakes of them floating around.

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #417 of 16,931
well, I took a punt and tried the eterna's version2 and so far was very disappointed by the package - the tips are terrible that come with them (very soft and small ) and what is with the bag?  They should have sprung for a cheap case.  

The sound....well I think I will let them burn in a little longer.  On first listen, with no burn in, the bass is not as "there" as I thought it would be.  With complex music (a lot going on), the eterna's just can't keep up, losing coherency.  I am using UE tips as well as their biflange tips (at the moment) as they work so much better than the ones supplied (toss them away).  

However, they fit perfectly in my ears.  they do not sit deep, but the housing of the phone sits great in the outer part of my ear, and the cables hang great behind my ears without the cable ear guides.  Everything that |joker| said was correct, just waiting on the sound to improve.  They sound very "safe" in comparison to my re0's and UE superfi 5pro's (both of which I prefer far more at the moment).  However, they are much more comfortable to wear.  

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #418 of 16,931
Give them at least 50 hours of burn-in before making final judgements with any dynamic IEM. 100 hours is ideal and you should have the final sound signature then. They can change rather drastically in ways you would not expect, like the MTPC did for me. Changed from something I hated to something I actually rather liked, which I thought would be impossible at the start.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #419 of 16,931
Thanks Ethan, will do.  Funnily, they already sound better today.  Oh, and thanks for sending them off so quick, got them sooner than I expected 
bigsmile_face.gif
.  Got to have a talk to Fischer about their accessories, though.  Those tips are really poor.  A small plastic case would also be welcome, and probably cost the same as the little 'baggy' they put in.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #420 of 16,931
No problem, glad you're happy with the service.

As poor as the tips may seem, they've been improved from the originals.
I agree with you, a hard case would be nice.
However, I think their philosophy is more of being minimalistic and not adding fancy unnecessary accessories. Reading the writing on the back of the box of the Master series IEMs/headphones explains that.

I have considered looking into supplying cases myself, and if people would like that, I may do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back