Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #421 of 16,931
That sound magic semi hard case is pretty cheap and would be an improvement over most cases in the market today imo of course. I definitely don't think that a case is unnecessary. I think it's absolutely necessary since most earphones are for portable use and having a case would help if you need to put it in your bag. This one from ebay looks like it's the same thing as the sound magic or shure case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrying-Hard-Case-Storage-Bag-hold-Earphone-Headphone-/150448688663?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item230770ce17

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #422 of 16,931
Absolutely, I did not mean to say cases are unnecessary. I use cases for all my valuable items, like phones, iPods, and IEMs. I've had a hard plastic case on my iPod touch 1st gen ever since they came out, and I've abused the *bleep* out of it so much over 3 years (dropping it from 4ft on concrete for demonstration as well as real life abuse) and the case is still intact and there is barely a scratch on the iPod. The case may well outlive my iPod the way things have been going.

That case looks like a good option. I just need to find somewhere that can get me 200 of them without costing me $200, that's the main problem.

Oh, and please do contact FA if you would like to voice your opinions on accessories, it's good for them to see the consumer's reaction too as well as me voicing my opinions (which don't have that much weight unless there is proof, which you guys can help with). Worldwide isn't their primary market at the moment, being a small company that's traditionally been focused on Russia, and sometimes we aren't well enough represented when it comes to these matters as people not in Russia.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #423 of 16,931
Not sure how I missed this exchange but ethan is right - giving yourself time to adjust as well as running the earphones through for a few more hours is step one for any IEM troubleshooting. 

The case rawrster linked is a nice cheap option if you must have one (2nd cheapest to an altoids tin, probably. If you want a slightly larger case there's the ECCI/Cyclone case which is square in shape and also fits a small DAP (e.g. Sansa Clip) or a 2nd pair of earphones very comfortably. As for pocketable plastic cases, they really aren't very common. UE includes one that is quite close to perfection with their Metro/SuperFi earphones but they want $10+shipping for it if purchased separately, which is quite excessive.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #424 of 16,931
If you want something like that ethan you probably will have to go through some manufacturer or wholesale of those cases if you can find something like that. Although $1 a case is a lot better than most cases out of the market.

$10+shipping is almost as bad as the case that UE makes for the triple fi which is imo the best protecting earphone case. I wish I still had that but I had to include it when I sold them and theres no way I'm paying $15+shipping for that if that's still the price.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #425 of 16,931
Quote:
If you want something like that ethan you probably will have to go through some manufacturer or wholesale of those cases if you can find something like that. Although $1 a case is a lot better than most cases out of the market.

True. Also, I'm sure that if a protective hard case was an extra $1.50 option at checkout, many people would grab one for convenience. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #426 of 16,931
Best cheap hard case ever! Bought one about a week back because it looked to be a decent size for coiled IEM's and it turns out to be perfect. The lid seals tight, the case is plenty big and it allows you to easily place a coiled roll of IEM+cable in it safely and comfortably. To top it all off I think it costs $1.99 or $2.99 at your local Trader Joe's store. Oh and you get some Espresso candy things 
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #427 of 16,931

Quote:
Best cheap hard case ever! Bought one about a week back because it looked to be a decent size for coiled IEM's and it turns out to be perfect. The lid seals tight, the case is plenty big and it allows you to easily place a coiled roll of IEM+cable in it safely and comfortably. To top it all off I think it costs $1.99 or $2.99 at your local Trader Joe's store. Oh and you get some Espresso candy things 
eek.gif

Does that make them smell like chocolate? 

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #428 of 16,931
Nice case.

well I have sold my triple fi 10. I liked them but poverty and high end headphones are not so friendly to each other.
Well I bought a ck9 and so far I LOVE THEM. Very clear, and I am starting to think I don't like much bass, it seems to cover anything else. With triple fi the bass was a bit too much for me. These have weak bass, but with bass booster on iPod it does well.
These are definetly a keeper. 
The ck9 I have is great. No microphonics at all, and no feeling of being closed or vacuum. feels great, great comfort also.

I hope I'll have money soon enough to grab a rp-hje900 as I expect to reinvest the money from triple fi 10 in many heapdhones lol.
Do you guys know whether the rp-hje900 is less claustrophobic than triple fi?

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #429 of 16,931

Quote:

Does that make them smell like chocolate? 

Not if you wash the case out first!....although I got to admit a chocolate smell might be nice 
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #430 of 16,931
Apparently these are made in Japan.

In any case, that eBay price is cheaper than anything else I've found so far, even wholesale. I might just talk to that eBay seller and see if they'd like to work out a deal.

Quote:
That sound magic semi hard case is pretty cheap and would be an improvement over most cases in the market today imo of course. I definitely don't think that a case is unnecessary. I think it's absolutely necessary since most earphones are for portable use and having a case would help if you need to put it in your bag. This one from ebay looks like it's the same thing as the sound magic or shure case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrying-Hard-Case-Storage-Bag-hold-Earphone-Headphone-/150448688663?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item230770ce17

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #431 of 16,931
Quote:
Well I bought a ck9 and so far I LOVE THEM. Very clear, and I am starting to think I don't like much bass, it seems to cover anything else. With triple fi the bass was a bit too much for me. These have weak bass, but with bass booster on iPod it does well.
These are definetly a keeper. 
The ck9 I have is great. No microphonics at all, and no feeling of being closed or vacuum. feels great, great comfort also.

I hope I'll have money soon enough to grab a rp-hje900 as I expect to reinvest the money from triple fi 10 in many heapdhones lol.
Do you guys know whether the rp-hje900 is less claustrophobic than triple fi?

Audio-Technica replaced the CK9 with the CK10 so I would imagine their signatures wouldn't be polar opposites of each other. 

The HJE900 is pretty easy-going in terms of fit. They are ported so air can escape out the bottom (or front - I can't quite remember where the vent is). But I don't really find the TF10 that bad in terms of intraaural pressure so I can't say anything comparative.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #432 of 16,931
Well, did as Ethan said and sent off a message to Fischer audio on my impressions of their Eterna earphones.  Did it from the message app form on their website.  Not sure what the effect will be, probably nothing.  However, I am a big believer in letting people who provide a good or service know how well they are doing - not enough people do it if you ask me.  How will things change if we don't let them know, good or bad?

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #433 of 16,931
Just ordered two of those cases that you guys pointed out on ebay, thanks very much.  Hopefully they turn out to be just what I need for my re0's and eterna's.  

Further update on the sound sig of the eterna's; they have definitely improved but I find myself adding a little bass from my mp3 players - something that I thought I would not have to do.  The tips definitely make a big difference, at the moment using biflange tips (not sure if they are UE or Hifiman ones, got them mixed up in a bag).  They give me the best seal but I feel that they are too deep.  It is definitely a different type of insertion in comparison to the rest of my phones, UE superfi 5pro's included.  I rarely lose seal and they feel comfortable but I want to try different tips to see if I am losing out on something with the sound sig.  Definitely a bigger soundstage in comparison to my other ear canal phones, works well with some music but doesn't work with others.  Sometimes I wonder if it is not a case of burn in but just a case of you acclimatizing to the sound sig.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #434 of 16,931
Oh, something really big that I haven't noted before. If you're shoving the stock bi-flanges in - you may want to try not doing so. It took me a couple weeks to figure it out, but I noticed that insertion depth plays a big part in the sound with those tips. Try putting them in as normal and then slowly pulling them out. You'll hear it when you're at the sweet spot. The biggest flange should be resting just barely totally in the ear, not deeper in the canal. That is, with my ears at least. Most bi-flanges do rest like that, but these ones are easy to just shove in farther than the average bi-flange.

EDIT: Noticed you weren't sure which tips. Since it sounds similar to what I'm describing, maybe try it anyways and see what you can find.

And yeah, that's exactly what I mean! You find yourself hearing things you'd never think were possible before burn-in.

I say burn-in nay-sayers are people that simply haven't experienced it. It's fairly clear that it does exist - plugging something in for 250 hours straight, without a listen since unboxing and hating it then, and loving the IEM post burn-in can't lie.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #435 of 16,931

I can't figure out how to break apart a quote, so I'll just add my response in blue.
Quote:
Oh, something really big that I haven't noted before. If you're shoving the stock bi-flanges in - you may want to try not doing so. It took me a couple weeks to figure it out, but I noticed that insertion depth plays a big part in the sound with those tips. Try putting them in as normal and then slowly pulling them out. You'll hear it when you're at the sweet spot.

Interesting. I use the meelelec biflange for my right ear with my VBs, so I'll play around with insertion depth and see how it works. Will report back tomorrow on my results. Thanks for the advice.
biggrin.gif

I say burn-in nay-sayers are people that simply haven't experienced it. It's fairly clear that it does exist - plugging something in for 250 hours straight, without a listen since unboxing and hating it then, and loving the IEM post burn-in can't lie.

I'm sorry, but saying burn-in experience can't lie is about as accurate as saying the cable change experience isn't a lie. I'm not saying people don't hear a difference, because they very well might. The power of our minds and suggestion and confirmation bias is amazing. But to claim there's any physical change occurring after 250 hours(!) is just a little hard to swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back