Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #376 of 16,931
Quote:

[size=medium]
I continue to enjoy reading your review.  Due to the IE8's bass over-riding their nice but relatively recessed mids and highs, I felt that the Monster Turbine Pro Gold were a little better than the IE8.  Amp synergy was important with the IE8 to me, and only with the ALO Amphora amp did the IE8 sound truly phenomenal (to the point that I could not believe what I was hearing it was so good).  I think they sounded just as you described, but I thought the MTPG's superior bass control and improved balance vs the mids and highs outweighed the IE8's bigger soundstage.  Still, someday I hope to get another IE8 just for listening with the Amphora.  Cheers!
[/size]

Thanks. I really like the balance of the Golds - it is far better than some reading indicated believe before I got them. The mid-bass hump isn't nearly as big as it is on the IE8s but sub-bass is just as present. But I've never really gotten used to the Golds' treble. While technically proficient and very smooth, it just lacks... character. I am a bit of a treble fanatic so something with a bit more bite jives better with me. I have a few other issues with the Golds, especially when a track starts getting busy. Definitely curious to try the Coppers or even the Monster MDs
smile_phones.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #377 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]
I continue to enjoy reading your review.  Due to the IE8's bass over-riding their nice but relatively recessed mids and highs, I felt that the Monster Turbine Pro Gold were a little better than the IE8.  Amp synergy was important with the IE8 to me, and only with the ALO Amphora amp did the IE8 sound truly phenomenal (to the point that I could not believe what I was hearing it was so good).  I think they sounded just as you described, but I thought the MTPG's superior bass control and improved balance vs the mids and highs outweighed the IE8's bigger soundstage.  Still, someday I hope to get another IE8 just for listening with the Amphora.  Cheers!
[/size]

Thanks. I really like the balance of the Golds - it is far better than some reading indicated believe before I got them. The mid-bass hump isn't nearly as big as it is on the IE8s but sub-bass is just as present. But I've never really gotten used to the Golds' treble. While technically proficient and very smooth, it just lacks... character. I am a bit of a treble fanatic so something with a bit more bite jives better with me. I have a few other issues with the Golds, especially when a track starts getting busy. Definitely curious to try the Coppers or even the Monster MDs
smile_phones.gif

Yeah, the highs on the Gold can be a little soft, but it makes listening to low bit-rate music a whole lot easier too.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #378 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]
[/size]

smile_phones.gif

Joker, the Coppers would be a good listen for you since you are more of a treble energy kind of guy.  The Bass is just a smidge short of the Golds and MD's for weight and decay.  The Coppers are also faster than the Golds and MD's so you shouldn't have the same issues when things get 'busy' and they are more accurate.  The MD's for me are like an improved, more sophisticated Gold.  Imagine the Golds but move the smooth and rich Mids forward a bit, present a slightly less warm presentation, a more transparent upper range and maintain the euphonics of the Golds to play anything in pleasing fashion.

Quote:
Yeah, the highs on the Gold can be a little soft, but it makes listening to low bit-rate music a whole lot easier too.

I don't listen to low bit stuff but sometimes a poorly mastered track is unfixable by user settings.  IMO, IEM's like the Golds and MD's make it so any content is acceptable.

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #379 of 16,931

Quote:
i must say im surprised you rated the IE8 so highly, i did say they they had quite great treble on them too.

did you try them with an icon mobile at all? (the two are somewhat made for each other)

I am surprised too, since so many people bashing IE8 for its infamous mid-bass hump.

I believe I am one who doesn't get bothered by the mid-bass hump of IE8. Parting my IE8 for several weeks (I loaned them to my friend and now he won't return them to me...), I listened to them again a few days ago with a brief comparsion with SM3, and surprisingly the midrange clarity of IE8 isn't far behind from SM3, and no mid-bass hump to my ears.

I think my pair of IE8 has undergone some unusual 'process' (like droping or playing too loud at times) that the mid-bass hump has gone. Or is it my dumb ears to be blamed? My crappy iPod?

Thanks joker as always.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #381 of 16,931
KLS, I think the SM3 also has a bit forward lower mids, and as a result, I think you got accustomed to it so that when you came back to IE8, the midbass hump didn't bother you anymore.
I got the same feeling. That's why I would say that SM3 are not totally neutral, either.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #382 of 16,931
KLS, the mid bass hump to me tends to be more obvious when you have the bass knob dialed in at the minimum whereas as you increase the variable bass, I find that the mid-bass hump smooths itself out. I currently have mine just a little below three as I am running some tests of SQ with the ACS custom tips on the IE8s.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #383 of 16,931
Photofan1986, glad that I am not alone :) To my ears there is something weird in the lower midrange of SM3 too. However I don't have my IE8 with me now so I can't compare.

cravenz, I have been using IE8 with bass dial set to maximum for more than half a year I think. Then I changed the bass dial to the minumum and I am happy with it :)

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #384 of 16,931

Quote:
Photofan1986, glad that I am not alone :) To my ears there is something weird in the lower midrange of SM3 too. However I don't have my IE8 with me now so I can't compare.

cravenz, I have been using IE8 with bass dial set to maximum for more than half a year I think. Then I changed the bass dial to the minumum and I am happy with it :)

you go get those IE8s back ya hear me?!
biggrin.gif
lol.

yeah, I'm trying to figure out what I like, I had the bass dialed in at minimum and the middle for most of the time, but had the bass at max the last couple of days, it sounds awesome for some songs, but for the vast majority, I'd prefer the bass at minimum, but I might put it at one cos' after using the bass at max for the last couple of days, minimum is almost anemic! lol. but I'll gradually switch back and get used to the sound again at minimum at some point, it's what I call, ear burn in.
dt880smile.png

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #385 of 16,931
Just got my Eterna v1's this morning after a fun bike ride out to the post office. Been listening to them for about 30min now and the unconscious tap your foot, sing along and nod your head is in full effect. These iem's are not the most clear/precise/micro detailed iem's I have heard but you know what? I don't care! They are just that much fun. I don't need to hear the singers lips open slightly before the words if I'm that enthralled with the feeling of the music and the general rock out vibe they give.

If I get a chance might write up a review although I know some amazing reviews are already out there for them.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #387 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the review, ljokerl. Very well-written and insightful as always 
smile_phones.gif

beerchug.gif

Quote:
These iem's are not the most clear/precise/micro detailed iem's I have heard but you know what? I don't care! They are just that much fun.

Yep, that pretty much sums them up. Glad you like 'em.

Quote:
Great thread, I always keep coming back to this one for the comprehensive reviews.

What I'd like to see next:

Westone 2
Westone UM3X

Me too! But only one of those is currently on my plate.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #389 of 16,931
TY joker, just got the JVC ha-fxc80.  Decided to get those because they have the bass, but also the strong treble.  I've always had phones with strong bass but less clarity so I want to see what its like to turn into a treblehead (maybe).

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #390 of 16,931
Quote:
TY joker, just got the JVC ha-fxc80.  Decided to get those because they have the bass, but also the strong treble.  I've always had phones with strong bass but less clarity so I want to see what its like to turn into a treblehead (maybe).

Funny - going to the FXC80 from bass-heavy earphones is equivalent from jumping from red to violet on the color spectrum - probably about as far as you can get. Interested in your impressions
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back