Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #346 of 16,931
Quote:
The sheath appears to be a carbon/kevlar weave.  Any chance you might get some Zagg buds to review?  I found out that they use Invisible shield on their cables which would default them to the most durable cables on the market bar none.  Not considering stress reliefs, etc. 

Actually I had a chance to review the original Zagg buds a while ago but a fellow head-fier told me that I would regret listening to them ('cannot be unheard' I believe was the exact phrasing). I was busy anyway so I passed on them. I won't pass on them if I get another shot if the cables are really that good. Might make a good donor cord...

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #347 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
The sheath appears to be a carbon/kevlar weave.  Any chance you might get some Zagg buds to review?  I found out that they use Invisible shield on their cables which would default them to the most durable cables on the market bar none.  Not considering stress reliefs, etc. 

Actually I had a chance to review the original Zagg buds a while ago but a fellow head-fier told me that I would regret listening to them ('cannot be unheard' I believe was the exact phrasing). I was busy anyway so I passed on them. I won't pass on them if I get another shot if the cables are really that good. Might make a good donor cord...

I only heard the Zagg buds for about 40sec outside in the parking lot at CES.  All I can recall is the Monster Beats Headphones left a far worse impression from what I recall.  For those unfamiliar w/ Zagg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcv3ETEQdM

I have the stuff on my smartphone.  So do all the US helicopter rotor blades in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #348 of 16,931
Invisible shield on their cables..how does that work or rather how do they get that on the cables?

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #349 of 16,931

Quote:
Invisible shield on their cables..how does that work or rather how do they get that on the cables?

No idea.  If its ever in a liquid state then they could just dip it and cure it.  Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #352 of 16,931
I was wondering when these would be up. Nice write ups :) I was always interested in the Eternas but never got around to buying them

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #353 of 16,931
Awesome to read another review of the Eterna's, making the wait to get mine even harder to handle! Glad I scooped up a pair of the V1 of them as well. Can't wait to hear their very distinct and unique sound sig.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #355 of 16,931
The Zagg Z-buds are NOT good sounding earphones - not with any tip, not compared to any good, cheaper headset. When I reviewed them, they cost 80$ and I think I wasn't harsh enough on them. Now, at a cheaper price, they are thinkable, but.... only barely. If the iBud headset was sealed, I'd take it over the Zagg z-Bud.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #356 of 16,931

Quote:
Bass-stravaganza!

Added the Sennheiser IE8, Future Sonics Atrio M8, Hippo VB, and Fischer Audio Eterna.

Great review as always joker.
Though  I have to say, for an analytical listener like yourself, going back to your ck10 after all this bass will likely feel like a breath of fresh.
wink.gif
Hope you enjoy them more now after the review.

Edit: About the VB, I think that they might actually sound better at low volumes unlike the majority of dynamics. Most of the edginess in the treble is gone, while the bass still hits hard, but not distractingly so like it can sometimes to when you blast the things.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #357 of 16,931
It's always hard going back to those type of phones after a bass heavy. When I had the Coppers the neutral phones in my collection felt like they had no bass in comparison..

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #358 of 16,931
'excellent bass depth and texture' 

in the IE8 review - 

are you sure.....cuz damn the IE8 has a strong mid-bass hump and tbh, I feel even the JVC FX500 beats it in terms of the bass quality. Of course the FX500 can't compare with the mids or treble of the IE8 and yes, the IE8 has a fantastic soundstage, I must admit. But in terms of the bass, I feel the FX500 offers a much better experience and have little doubt the upgraded FX700 model will do too.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #359 of 16,931
Quote:
Ha this should make a lot of users happy :wink:
Well done as always.

Quote:
I was wondering when these would be up. Nice write ups :) I was always interested in the Eternas but never got around to buying them

Thanks 
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
that was a great read
by the way are you planning to review phiaton ps 200?

Yep, the PS200 should be up next week or the week after. The complete list of planned reviews can be found in the section entitled 'incomplete list of planned reviews' in post #8.

Quote:
The Zagg Z-buds are NOT good sounding earphones - not with any tip, not compared to any good, cheaper headset. When I reviewed them, they cost 80$ and I think I wasn't harsh enough on them. Now, at a cheaper price, they are thinkable, but.... only barely. If the iBud headset was sealed, I'd take it over the Zagg z-Bud.

Hmm no, I don't think you were very hard on them at all. With a cursory read, I could've though that you actually felt positively towards them.

Quote:
Great review as always joker.
Though  I have to say, for an analytical listener like yourself, going back to your ck10 after all this bass will likely feel like a breath of fresh.
wink.gif
Hope you enjoy them more now after the review.

Edit: About the VB, I think that they might actually sound better at low volumes unlike the majority of dynamics. Most of the edginess in the treble is gone, while the bass still hits hard, but not distractingly so like it can sometimes to when you blast the things.

Hah, very true but to be honest, I did not feel like I was missing much in the treble with the IE8, which was my breath of fresh air in this test group. I need to take a couple of detours before returning to the CK10s though, mainly over to the portable thread 
wink.gif
. I don't doubt that if I were to switch back now, the lack of bass body would be jarring.

And yeah, I agree - the VBs are one of the better dynamic IEMs to use at low volumes. I think I made a note of it towards the end. And I generally found them far less sibilant then expected, which makes me wonder why it took so many months for people to start saying that the Klipsch S4 is sibilant (and not that they "just need 200 more hours of burn-in") but the VBs were tagged as such from the outset. 

Quote:
'excellent bass depth and texture' 

in the IE8 review - 

are you sure.....cuz damn the IE8 has a strong mid-bass hump and tbh, I feel even the JVC FX500 beats it in terms of the bass quality. Of course the FX500 can't compare with the mids or treble of the IE8 and yes, the IE8 has a fantastic soundstage, I must admit. But in terms of the bass, I feel the FX500 offers a much better experience and have little doubt the upgraded FX700 model will do too.

Yep, the IE8 has a mid-bass hump. But it doesn't detract from the depth. I could easily differentiate very low notes with the IE8 - sounds that are reduced to a very feint and unitelligible 'thump thump thump' with something like the ViSang R03 or Klipsch S4. It should be noted that I've never tried the FX500 or FX700 and have no clue how they compare. I've actually stayed pretty far away from bass-heavy IEMs with the exception of the Atrios, which I've owned for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back