Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Feb 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3,616 of 4,841
  Copy and paste from PM:

EM32 still has the house sound of ear sonics.
It has a very clever tuning. Overall it's very balanced.

Pros:

The mid is neutral and laid back compared to EM6, so it's not mid forward anymore. 
I think I mentioned somewhere EM6's treble extension can challenge 5 way's, EM32 do that to a even "further" extent (definitely extends further than NT6, not as far, and linear as SE5) The resolution, amount of detail is very high. Transparency and clarity is great too. The bass is powerful and dynamic with decent depth. Soundstage is pretty accurate with great depth and imaging. 

Cons:
1. Bass is as impactful as EM6, it also has lifted subass (starting from 80-90Hz), mid-upper bass is very neutral and certainly doesn't bleed to the mids. But the subbass rumble can be too much on some songs. IMO the bass is not as well controlled as EM6, can be bloated at times.
2. The upper treble (14-16K Hz), this region is a little bit lifted. I think ES try to over exaggerate the micro detail just a little bit on EM32. So it make some songs sound shimmer ,dry and too detailed if you know what I mean. However the boost passes the treble region of sibilance, brightness and harshness, so overall it still sounds very smooth and musical. 
3. Lower treble is not as recessed as EM6, but the air and space width can still be improve a little more.

Overall it's a warm, smooth CIEM, but the boost in the upper treble balances the warmth a little. It's basically a thinner, more detailed version of EM6.

very interesting, thank you ! Yes there more sub-bass than what I mean for "neutral sounding", but it's in place, that don't bleed. To my mind the EM32 has a more coherent soundstage than the EM6 and a better sense of depth and width. If you have time to compare both NT6 and SE5 with the EM32 it would be nice
smile.gif
there is a dedicated thread for the EM32 here

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #3,617 of 4,841
One of the most obvious clues for bad fit is if the bass response sounds lacking, or if there is more bass response in one ear than the other.
However, please understand that CIEMs do not have decent bass response, even with a proper seal, unless they are being driven by a DAP or amp with very low output impedance (ideally less than 2 ohms, and the lower the better). This can make a substantial difference to the quality of CIEM bass and treble.

Also, if you can, try to be somewhere very noisy when you're wearing them, and this should tell you if they are not sealing properly, if they don't block out the noise properly.  No CIEM will completely block out loud noise, but it should be quite obvious if the seal is poor.

Initially your first custom may feel a little strange.  Give it some time for the ear to adjust (especially with a tight fit).  If it's properly fitted it will become more comfortable for you over the first few hours you're using it.

I have had a few customs, and this is my take: if it is too tight it will hurt. It might hurt a bit but nothing serious and then you will get to it, but if you feel excessive pressure in a given area, it is better to have it adjusted, because it can seriously irritate you ear. Beyond hurting, too good a seal can create a strong suction feeling in the ear, like on the plane or underwater. If the fit is good, you can easily remove this pressure by moving around your jaw or pulling on your earlobe. If this feeling stays no matter what, the fit is too tight.

No if it is too small, i.e. you have a bad fit that does not allow for a good seal, you will feel it and the sound will be off. The is a good test at Sensaphonics' site. You play two tones, one high and one low, and if the seal is bad, the high tone is louder. Of course, you need to check first that your source plays these tones well.

Read the sticky by joker. It is really hard to put them In at first. You think it's in but it's not
You need to put them in and out a few times and make it seal good.
And there is definitely a learning g curve to it. Post issues and you will get
Answers. Do not alone in this.

Al

Thanks guys!

Seal is not an issue. Bass is not an issue. Thankfully haha.

Raising earlobes is a cool trick lol. I've had enough experience with custom come universal style IEMs that twisting it in feels like second nature.

I am trying to get my ears accustomed to them before making any decisions regarding fit. Day 2 has been much better than day 1, but I think I need a bit more time to see if fit could be better. I feel like I need to fiddle with one side more than the other ATM to get acceptable comfort on fit (other than just getting used to the fit of customs in general), so I'm gonna give it another day.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #3,618 of 4,841
  Cons:
1. .... it also has lifted subass (starting from 80-90Hz), mid-upper bass is very neutral and certainly doesn't bleed to the mids. But the subbass rumble can be too much on some songs. IMO the bass is not as well controlled as EM6, can be bloated at times.

Hmmm... not for me, then. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,619 of 4,841
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a custom IEM that can sound great without amping. I come from GR07 and I want to upgrade. I'm considering DUNU DN-1000 or any custom IEM under 300. Been watching the Music Two so far, but not sure whether I will like it or not. I listened to rock, alternative and indie musics. I will be using it with my iPhone basically. 

Or maybe, you guys have another suggestion?

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #3,622 of 4,841
  Hi guys,

I'm looking for a custom IEM that can sound great without amping. I come from GR07 and I want to upgrade. I'm considering DUNU DN-1000 or any custom IEM under 300. Been watching the Music Two so far, but not sure whether I will like it or not. I listened to rock, alternative and indie musics. I will be using it with my iPhone basically. 

Or maybe, you guys have another suggestion?

In this price range, there is not much besides what Custom Art has to offer I think. Unless you want to buy only one CIEM.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #3,624 of 4,841
Feb 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #3,625 of 4,841
Here is my review of the EarSonics S-EM6 universal fit CIEM.  To see where it is on the table, check the "Show other types of headphones for reference" checkbox and click search.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,626 of 4,841
Here is my review of the EarSonics S-EM6 universal fit CIEM.  To see where it is on the table, check the "[COLOR=555555]Show other types of headphones for reference[/COLOR]" checkbox and click search.
I had the S-EM6 on a loan for a while, and while I could not fault it technically (could have had more sparkly trebble but nothing major), it did not do much for me. It was smooth and clear and easy on the ears, but lacked something to grip me. The SE5 has this exceptional note weight makimg the music so visceral, the NT6 has the exceptional clarity and liquidity of the sound, the 1plus2 has this awesome airy stage and punchy bass...and the S-EM6 was just...nice. But maybe that's just me.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #3,627 of 4,841
I had the S-EM6 on a loan for a while, and while I could not fault it technically (could have had more sparkly trebble but nothing major), it did not do much for me. It was smooth and clear and easy on the ears, but lacked something to grip me. The SE5 has this exceptional note weight makimg the music so visceral, the NT6 has the exceptional clarity and liquidity of the sound, the 1plus2 has this awesome airy stage and punchy bass...and the S-EM6 was just...nice. But maybe that's just me.

If you are a SE5 owner, the S-EM6 is probably not something you need because, as you stated (and as it says in my comparison of the two :wink:), the S-EM6 doesn't perform as well and is more mid-centric.  Just like with so many products, the sound signature is unique, and I can appreciate the way the mids are the focus, but without giving up a thing in other departments.  Most implementations of a mid-centric sound signature leave something to be desired, but the S-EM6 is at the top of that game.  The FitEar PS-5 is somewhat similar, but still very different in a way that the presentation has more thickness to it and you have to dig deeper to get to the detail.  Of course, the SE5 still sits atop the chart.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,628 of 4,841
If you are a SE5 owner, the S-EM6 is probably not something you need because, as you stated (and as it says in my comparison of the two :wink:), the S-EM6 doesn't perform as well and is more mid-centric.  Just like with so many products, the sound signature is unique, and I can appreciate the way the mids are the focus, but without giving up a thing in other departments.  Most implementations of a mid-centric sound signature leave something to be desired, but the S-EM6 is at the top of that game.  The FitEar PS-5 is somewhat similar, but still very different in a way that the presentation has more thickness to it and you have to dig deeper to get to the detail.  Of course, the SE5 still sits atop the chart.
The 846 is also kind of mid centric and it caught me more...just saying that, to my ears, the S-EM6 lacked a spark of...magic.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,630 of 4,841
So, the 846 might be better with a similar sound sig?  I will have to put "listen to 846" on my to-do list.
Well maybe it is not as good as S-EM6 technically. I have not compared. Many people seem to say the 846 lacks trebble extension...it did not shock me with bright filters. But the bass is awesome and the mids oh so sweet, while keeping a good overall balance in the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back