Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 27, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #3,586 of 4,841
Regarding the useful life of impressions: Sensaphonics (and almost all our Gold Circle audiologists) uses the pink, and we have a great track record for accurate fit with our clients.

Impressions do exhibit slight shrinkage over time. Generally, we will not re-make products with impressions more than 18 months old. However, your ear canals can also change. Physical maturity can be a factor. Significant weight change (up or down) can cause your canals to change size/shape. In short, there are only guidelines and YMMV.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,587 of 4,841
My hope is so high for EM32 now after listening to Stage 2 and 3
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #3,589 of 4,841
My hope is for the Custom Art flagship now I have the lovely EM32 :) hope is bad for the wallet :p

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,593 of 4,841
Who cares about the wallet, I do not intend to die rich :wink:

Haha, some serious food for thought there.

[rule]

So I'm going to finally get to try on my first custom, the UERM, later today and was hoping to get the collective wisdom of the people here on what to look out for in terms of good and bad fit. Kind of worried that I wouldn't even know I have a bad fit until it's too late.

I know it's probably been beaten to death in this thread but I would really appreciate a quick few words from anyone without me going through 200+ pages.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #3,596 of 4,841
So I'm going to finally get to try on my first custom, the UERM, later today and was hoping to get the collective wisdom of the people here on what to look out for in terms of good and bad fit. Kind of worried that I wouldn't even know I have a bad fit until it's too late.

One of the most obvious clues for bad fit is if the bass response sounds lacking, or if there is more bass response in one ear than the other.
However, please understand that CIEMs do not have decent bass response, even with a proper seal, unless they are being driven by a DAP or amp with very low output impedance (ideally less than 2 ohms, and the lower the better). This can make a substantial difference to the quality of CIEM bass and treble.

Also, if you can, try to be somewhere very noisy when you're wearing them, and this should tell you if they are not sealing properly, if they don't block out the noise properly.  No CIEM will completely block out loud noise, but it should be quite obvious if the seal is poor.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3,597 of 4,841

I know it's probably been beaten to death in this thread but I would really appreciate a quick few words from anyone without me going through 200+ pages.

Initially your first custom may feel a little strange.  Give it some time for the ear to adjust (especially with a tight fit).  If it's properly fitted it will become more comfortable for you over the first few hours you're using it.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #3,598 of 4,841
Read the sticky by joker. It is really hard to put them In at first. You think it's in but it's not
You need to put them in and out a few times and make it seal good.
And there is definitely a learning g curve to it. Post issues and you will get
Answers. Do not alone in this.

Al

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #3,599 of 4,841

[rule]

I have had a few customs, and this is my take: if it is too tight it will hurt. It might hurt a bit but nothing serious and then you will get to it, but if you feel excessive pressure in a given area, it is better to have it adjusted, because it can seriously irritate you ear. Beyond hurting, too good a seal can create a strong suction feeling in the ear, like on the plane or underwater. If the fit is good, you can easily remove this pressure by moving around your jaw or pulling on your earlobe. If this feeling stays no matter what, the fit is too tight.

No if it is too small, i.e. you have a bad fit that does not allow for a good seal, you will feel it and the sound will be off. The is a good test at Sensaphonics' site. You play two tones, one high and one low, and if the seal is bad, the high tone is louder. Of course, you need to check first that your source plays these tones well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #3,600 of 4,841
Anybody heard of this?

http://www.ownfidelity.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back