**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #961 of 3,203
Actually these were the dog pads - I just got information. Anyway, from experiance I think new angled pads could have influence for better separation, clarity maybe but what about bass. I found some ppl complaining at it and Im not basshead at all. Maybe there is someone at planet earth who got both HE5LE and Mad Dogs?:)

I do (albeit the rev 3.0 which didn't receive the bass improvement of the rev 3.2)
I never complained about the bass on the MDs, even next to the 5LEs.
The 5LEs aren't a bass monster like the LCDs or the HE-6 anyway :wink:

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #962 of 3,203
Quote:
I do (albeit the rev 3.0 which didn't receive the bass improvement of the rev 3.2)
I never complained about the bass on the MDs, even next to the 5LEs.
The 5LEs aren't a bass monster like the LCDs or the HE-6 anyway :wink:

The LCDs and HE-6 are bass monsters? 
eek.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #963 of 3,203
I dont really care and look at price because its not always up to pair with SQ. I just shared some thoughts after comparision in my system but wasnt quite sure if result is objective.
Anyway I would still like to hear other impression of latest version compared to HE5LE which I know very good if theres such opportunity.
As EU resident its hard to buy Mad Dogs in blind having Hifimans.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #964 of 3,203
Could someone upload an attachment with the MrSpeakers newsletter that was sent out at the end of April ?

Any subsequent newsletters would be interesting too, but evidently that one has a lot of helpful information.

Thanks !

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #965 of 3,203
The LCDs and HE-6 are bass monsters? 
eek.gif

As far as planars go, yes.
When bass quality is requested, the LCDs are the first that come to mind. Now the TH-900 is out, people who like a fun U-shaped bass response would put it ahead of the LCDs, probably.
The 6s are often overlooked when it comes to bass but they have very nicely extended/balanced/linear bass also.
Neither the 5LEs/MDs nor the th-600 can touch it here.
YMMV

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #966 of 3,203
This for sure. I have the PB2 that kskwerl had. It is excellent with the MDs, SE or balanced.

Aaron has all my gear he he :p

but yea I still think to this day that the PB2 is the best pairing I've had with the MDs on a portable amp by a long shot, even against ALOs The International (I literally paused for a split second to think whether or not Aaron had my ALO amp LOL)

quick question Aaron, have you ever compared the O2 to the PB2 using the MDs? I am using the O2 now and I feel like something is missing but can't put a finger on it when compared to the PB2

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #967 of 3,203
Quote:
As far as planars go, yes.
When bass quality is requested, the LCDs are the first that come to mind. Now the TH-900 is out, people who like a fun U-shaped bass response would put it ahead of the LCDs, probably.
The 6s are often overlooked when it comes to bass but they have very nicely extended/balanced/linear bass also.
Neither the 5LEs/MDs nor the th-600 can touch it here.
YMMV

Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation and information. I should probably give the 5LE a go and the 6 another go. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #968 of 3,203
Quote:
I dont really care and look at price because its not always up to pair with SQ. I just shared some thoughts after comparision in my system but wasnt quite sure if result is objective.
Anyway I would still like to hear other impression of latest version compared to HE5LE which I know very good if theres such opportunity.

Same here.

I am extremely impressed with the HE-5LE bass, but if there is better, for a reasonable price, I am interested.  Bass is tricky though- one persons bass monster is another's bloat.

I am more on the articulate/accurate side when it comes to low-end extension, especially when the vast majority of what I listen to barely has anything going on below 40 Hz.

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #969 of 3,203
Aaron has all my gear he he :p

but yea I still think to this day that the PB2 is the best pairing I've had with the MDs on a portable amp by a long shot, even against ALOs The International (I literally paused for a split second to think whether or not Aaron had my ALO amp LOL)

quick question Aaron, have you ever compared the O2 to the PB2 using the MDs? I am using the O2 now and I feel like something is missing but can't put a finger on it when compared to the PB2

I have, and I agree. The PB2 just has a bit of something. I've never changed the opamps from whatever you had in it, and likely won't. It sounds great. The O2's I've heard didn't excite me as much.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #970 of 3,203
@Zibra..

Like the Clemmaster said...  The HE-5LEs are that good.  The HE-4s are a small step down IMO but at the same price as the HE-5LEs.  However, the Mad Dogs vs. the HE-4s may be a better contest.  Although both are very different as well.  Bright (not in a bad way) HE-4 - Dark (not in a bad way) Mad Dogs.

Hard to compare.  I like the HE-6, HE-5LE and the HE-4s for it's "IMO" good treble and airy nature...Very well extended and smooth.  

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #971 of 3,203
Quote:
@Zibra..

Like the Clemmaster said...  The HE-5LEs are that good.  The HE-4s are a small step down IMO but at the same price as the HE-5LEs.  However, the Mad Dogs vs. the HE-4s may be a better contest.  Although both are very different as well.  Bright (not in a bad way) HE-4 - Dark (not in a bad way) Mad Dogs.

Hard to compare.  I like the HE-6, HE-5LE and the HE-4s for it's "IMO" good treble and airy nature...Very well extended and smooth.  

Funny, I was just thinking this very comparison as I have both. In the end, what you have is not actually a winner but one of the best sets of complementary hp's on the planet!! It's really an end game set of hp's for me. I don't think that either hp has truly gotten the recognition for how good they really are. The MD are coming into the limelight now. The he-4 was sadly somewhat overlooked. I suspect because of the amping requirements that it takes. All in all, two truly impressive hp's. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #973 of 3,203
Quote:
Could someone upload an attachment with the MrSpeakers newsletter that was sent out at the end of April ?

Any subsequent newsletters would be interesting too, but evidently that one has a lot of helpful information.

Thanks !

Our apologies if this is a duplicate.  For some reason the newsletter only went to about 1/3 of the subscribers, and to resend I have to send it to everyone.

MrSpeakers in the News
We received several positive mentions after the New York Audio Show and the New York Head-Fi meet, where our latest version was on display.  You’ll see write-ups from:
  1. The Absolute Sound
  2. Audiophilevoice
  3. The Frugal Audiophile
  4. Stereophile
  5. Sound+Vision
My favorite was “find of the show” from Brent Butterworth at Sound+Vision.  Given the show’s plethora of high-end gear, this was very high praise.  Also, 6Moons is reviewing the phones. 
Check out the news coverage of the version 3.2 (see below on versions) at www.mrspeakers.com on the News and Reviews tab. 

New Product!
You asked for it, here it is.  The Balanced Mad Dog.For the last six months, I’ve gotten a steady stream of requests to do a balanced headphone.  It’s more complex, as we have to rewire and reterminate the headphone, and also build a custom cable.
We expect the phones to ship in late May.  Pre-orders are available now, at $349, once shipping starts the price is probably going to be $399, but this is not yet certain. 
This will include the Alpha Pads, velvet bag, and our own custom 6’ 4-pin XLR cable. An option will be available for current owners to convert to balanced operation.  Details and price are TBD.

New Service: Mad Dog Tune Ups!
It is probably safe to say most people expect us to ship our best, and we make every effort to do so. Our goal is to create the best value headphone on the market, and that is a journey, not a destination, so we roll out improvements when we find them. 
After all, who would want us to know how to improve the product but not to do it?  Of course, the flip side is it can be frustrating to purchase a product and have a new version come out. 
To allow us to innovate, and to provide investment protection for our customers, I am pleased to offer a service that allows you to tune up your headphones any time you think we’ve made an improvement you’d like to hear. 
Our pricing for the “Tune Up Service” is only $29.99 plus shipping.  Tune ups don’t include new ear pads, cables, or other hardware updates, though these will usually be available as an option.  The service includes:
  • Voice and tune your phones to the latest configuration. 
  • Retest and check your phones to verify performance is optimized
  • A sticker on top of the leather comfort strap with a version number and date so it’s easy to tell what revision you have  
Note: to reduce waste and keep cost low we plan to reuse packing materials if they are in good shipping condition, we’ll replace packaging if needed or requested.
I know this is different, but in talking with a number of you about this idea, I’m certain most of my customers will appreciate the concept of continuous improvement with upgradability vs the normal practice of stagnation and obsolescence.  We’re committed to always delivering the best we can, and to giving users a convenient and affordable path to upgrade at their convenience should an upgrade be of interest.   
For customers overseas, we will be marking these as warranty service so you don’t have to pay duties a second time.  Of course some countries charge import fees not related to price, etc, so I’m also exploring an option to have an authorized service center in the EU to perform regional upgrades to , shorten turn around time and keep costs down.

Revision History for the Mad Dog
I want to be transparent as possible about changes to the product, so we’ll share information on updates in our newsletter, which should go out once a quarter. 
We’ll be using versions going forward, so it should be much easier for people to discuss their experience online.
  1. Version 1-Shure 840 Pads
  2. Version 2-Dog Pads
    1. Smoother and more balanced sound
    2. Improved comfort and isolation
  3. Version 3-Mad Dog with Alpha Pad purchased before March 17 or Dog Pad units upgraded to Alpha Pads
    1. Even better comfort, isolation
    2. Smoother neutral/dark signature
    3. Warmer lower mids
  4. Version 3.1-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased between March 17 and April 12
    1. Increased bass extension (slightly) and increased upper mids and treble to make the phone less dark (still dark/neutral)
  5. Version 3.2-Mad Dog with Alpha Pads purchased April 13 and on
    1. Still more sub-bass extension
    2. Also a bit more upper mid energy for more presence, reduced congestion, and more air up top.  Cymbals have more brass to them, and strings are more airy and natural sounding
Version 3.2 is certainly the version I am most proud of and satisfied by.  The sound is extremely neutral, just a tiny bit dark, and incredibly lively and dynamic.  The phones sound even more “open” and mids are cleaner and less congested at higher volumes or in more complex passages.  The phone is never shrill or sibilant, and the bass is flatter, more powerful and stronger, but never over-bearing. 

Who should upgrade?
  • Anyone with 840 pads should consider moving to Alpha Pads when it comes time to replace their pads or if they want a smoother presentation and better isolation and comfort.  You will also need to purchase Alpha Pads.
  • Owners with Dog Pads: yup, this is a worthwhile upgrade.  Yes you’ll need pads and a tune to get the most.  You can upgrade the pads yourself, and get a sonic and comfort upgrade to version 3.0 level, or send them for a tune up and pads to 3.2.
  • Dog Pads already upgraded to Alpha Pads: it’s optional and worth considering if you’d like more top end air and more midrange presence or more punch down low (not bass head, bass lover!  The bass hits harder, is better filled in between 60-90Hz, and goes down to about 12Hz, but it’s not going to THUD like a bass head phone). It’s optional, but if you ever wish your phones were a little less dark or had more energy in the upper mids and highs with more solid lows, this is worth consideration.
  • Update not recommended if you purchased Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads after March 17 the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 will be noticeable, but I suggest you wait at least 6-12 months before considering a tune up.
And remember, if you love your phone as-is, leave them alone.  The service is available any time.
I believe the phones are at a point where we will likely be making fewer and fewer changes.  I love the pads and am not changing them, and am not doing any testing to change the sound.  Instead, we’re working on new efforts like the balanced phone.  But improvements aren’t predictable, and new products can sometimes trigger updates to the current product, so this service is there to ensure you get the most from your Mad Dogs.

Discontinued Product
Due to lack of demand, we’re discontinuing the Mad Dog with Dog Pads. 

Feedback
I’m always interested to know how we’re doing, as well as to hear your experiences with different amps, etc.  Drop a note to dan@mrspeakers.com to share your feedback.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #974 of 3,203
Thanks !

In return, some information for the Mad Dog fans... the best place for information on Vintage Receivers is Head-Fi's Vintage Receiver thread ! Which is at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

And everyone is very friendly there (except to your wallet, of course).

Back in the analog-only days, I had audiophile gear, and my amp of choice was a Pioneer Integrated Amplifier (and a separate FM tuner of different make).

By the way, I am ordering a Mad Dog 3.2 "Universal" Version with the balanced connector and a "single ended" cable, and will report back on my impressions on that setup, including comparing it to a 3.0 Alpha and an HE-400.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #975 of 3,203
Quote:
i will update you guys after i give it at least a week, i remember when i got UM miracle and HD650 , both wasn't as good as after the burning in, which kept getting better and better over time.

I don't particularly believe burn-in has much of an effect on headphones (at least not most of them), but this is especially true of the T50RP. I've not seen any benefit from burning it in.

Most burn-in is just psychological burn-in, IMO. Even if that means you listened for 5 minutes, set them to burn-in for hours on end, and then came back to them.

With the alpha pads, I've found that they can take a few minutes to really warm up and fit/seal really nicely, though usually I can get a solid fit and seal right away. The pads also get squished easily and can take some time to regain their proper shape.

I was a bit underwhelmed with modded T50RPs when I got into them. All I can say is to give yourself some time with them exclusively, or even consider taking a few days break from headphones (or most other audio gear) before coming back to them. They have some characteristics that I wasn't quite used to at first as well. However, the Mad Dog 3.2 took no adjustment time personally...really like how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back