**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #946 of 3,203
Leckerton works perfectly for me and sounds great. I'd have to nearly max out the volume on certain albums, but I always had plenty of room to play there. I also had the 209 opamp, which I would recommend.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #947 of 3,203
Quote:
I had the PB2 and it was awesome. The Leckerton not so much, don't get me wrong its a great amp but I literally had no room left on the pot to increase volume.

You should look for someone on the For Sale forum or do you not want something used?

Indeed, size vs power. Most of the smaller portable amps are not going to have much power, in other words you won't have much play on the pot. Although both the E12 and Arrow drove my MDs well beyond normal listening levels and there was still some play, so keep that in mind. For your budget, the variety of powerful portable amps are limited. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #949 of 3,203
my Yulong D100 MKII is here :3 but don't know which is better for my Mad Dog, the low or high input :/  where should i plug it? 

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #952 of 3,203
am i in the burning phase now? cause i am still not WoWed yet,  i changed everything maybe thats why it is kind of strange, moved from UM miracle , dacport lx , uha-6S.mkii.  1 hour and half so far on the new system.   

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #954 of 3,203
Quote:
I wasn't necessarily wowd by them as I was seduced by them.

THIS!

I mentioned before, I found the Mad Dogs super underwhelming at first. After my ears got used to their sound though, there was no going back. Still think this is one of the best buys at $300!

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #955 of 3,203
i will update you guys after i give it at least a week, i remember when i got UM miracle and HD650 , both wasn't as good as after the burning in, which kept getting better and better over time.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #956 of 3,203
Anyone compared new version to Hifiman HE5LE? I had opportunity to listen to Mad Dogs with some normal pads (Shures?), maybe some kind of first version? Biggest problem was bass which had much worse extension than Hifimans and worse texture and detail. Second negative was worse clarity and resolution and some kind of messy sound in music with a lot of "action".
Overall I found it very nice sounding HPs but still wonder if that was problem with "first batch" or just HE5LE is that good.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #957 of 3,203
Quote:
Anyone compared new version to Hifiman HE5LE? I had opportunity to listen to Mad Dogs with some normal pads (Shures?), maybe some kind of first version? Biggest problem was bass which had much worse extension than Hifimans and worse texture and detail. Second negative was worse clarity and resolution and some kind of messy sound in music with a lot of "action".
Overall I found it very nice sounding HPs but still wonder if that was problem with "first batch" or just HE5LE is that good.

The Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads are MUCH better.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #958 of 3,203
Actually these were the dog pads - I just got information. Anyway, from experiance I think new angled pads could have influence for better separation, clarity maybe but what about bass. I found some ppl complaining at it and Im not basshead at all. Maybe there is someone at planet earth who got both HE5LE and Mad Dogs?:)

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #959 of 3,203
Jul 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #960 of 3,203

The 5LEs are THAT good :wink:
They are a league above (or two). But you're comparing a $700 open can to a $300 closed one.
They both offer a very good value in their own tier.

The new Mad Dogs w/ Alpha pads are much better than the previous version. I'm yet to upgrade my 3.0 to the latest rev.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back