MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2,551 of 2,843
  Hi i just recently purchased Ether with Onkyo DP-X1 DAP(all are coming soon)
so want to know is that DAP good enough to drive that headphone or need to add an amp?
if need which one you guys recommended?
thank you

Just yesterday I ordered a TRRS cable for the ETHER. It surprises me, sure the desktop setup will give more "meat" but the punchiness is not that different a healthy amount of sub-bass is there. The background is super clean and every details is presented really well. Soundstage is really good also and this is purely coming out of DAP only and I intend to keep it that way for my portable setup.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #2,552 of 2,843
I'm currently trying to decide between the Ether and Ether C. I have heard the Ether C has better slam in the lowest octaves, which is something I want. However, I also prefer a warmer sound and one that is more open and natural sounding. Apparently the Ether is warmer and more airy than the Ether C. I personally mainly listen to EDM and female vocalist music. Any recommendations?
I don't really care about open/closed back, I will be using them in an environment where there is noone around me.

How does the Ether/Ether C pair with the Chord Mojo?

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #2,553 of 2,843
I listen to drum and bass, I can't comment on the C. The ETHER can be tuned but once you really appreciate the fine detail you hadn't heard before the bass becomes a natural part of the process,rather than making up for what's never heard.
Not an issue on bass. A simple felt mod and angled pads really bring all together. If this is a first time TOTL choice, I was leaning towards the HEX LCD3 for bass. The abyss HIFIMAN 560 have more slam I hear but this does all things well. The others need a perfect set up to drive correctly or more expensive gear.

I am glad I picked the Ether and they keep getting better. No issues on the Mojo from what people say

Do the research but don't worry about weak bass. Others are more a one trick pony and you can miss out.

Just my opinion, get others more experienced views. Mr Dan speakers did a very good job.

Good luck
Dave

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #2,554 of 2,843
  I'm currently trying to decide between the Ether and Ether C. I have heard the Ether C has better slam in the lowest octaves, which is something I want. However, I also prefer a warmer sound and one that is more open and natural sounding. Apparently the Ether is warmer and more airy than the Ether C. I personally mainly listen to EDM and female vocalist music. Any recommendations?
I don't really care about open/closed back, I will be using them in an environment where there is noone around me.

How does the Ether/Ether C pair with the Chord Mojo?

I've never heard the C, but I believe it is a little "warmer" while the open Ether is airier. 

If you are going to be pairing with the Mojo, I think Ether might make a little better combination, because the Mojo is already a slightly warm DAC. 

But, really, from what I've heard, the differences are fairly slight and you can't go wrong either way. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,555 of 2,843
Ether:

*mids have wonderful tone and are very convincing

*overall spectrum is pretty even

*very open sounding, with good air around instruments and voices, good positional cues and transient response

*slight bump in the mid-bass, gives it a nice musical/slightly warmer presentation

*comfort king, weighs a little less than EC

*great for acoustic, jazz, folk, singer-songwriter and to a large degree classical

*very easy to drive even from a DAP

*doesn't clamp much but rather just "floats" on your head

Ether C:

*mild "u" shape signature somewhat ameliorated with 1.1 upgrade, but still more bass and treble than Ether

*very open sound staging, best that I've heard from a closed headphone

*good sub bass response and some sparkle on the treble

*angled pads lend themselves to better clamp and fit for me

*a little harder to drive than Ether (3-4 db) but still fine from a good DAP like qp1r

*best genres are electronic, pop, modern music

*incredibly comfortable but slightly less so than Ether

Both of these headphones have appreciable scale from better gear, both the amp and the DAC. If you own either of these (or both) but have never heard them from a world class amp/dac (yggy/liquid gold) prepare to be shocked and subsequently addicted to the sound of the Ethers. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #2,556 of 2,843
Ether:

*mids have wonderful tone and are very convincing

*overall spectrum is pretty even

*very open sounding, with good air around instruments and voices, good positional cues and transient response

*slight bump in the mid-bass, gives it a nice musical/slightly warmer presentation

*comfort king, weighs a little less than EC

*great for acoustic, jazz, folk, singer-songwriter and to a large degree classical

*very easy to drive even from a DAP

*doesn't clamp much but rather just "floats" on your head

Ether C:

*mild "u" shape signature somewhat ameliorated with 1.1 upgrade, but still more bass and treble than Ether

*very open sound staging, best that I've heard from a closed headphone

*good sub bass response and some sparkle on the treble

*angled pads lend themselves to better clamp and fit for me

*a little harder to drive than Ether (3-4 db) but still fine from a good DAP like qp1r

*best genres are electronic, pop, modern music

*incredibly comfortable but slightly less so than Ether

But of these headphones have appreciable scale from better gear, both the amp and the DAC. If you own either of these (or both) but have never heard them from a world class amp/dac (yggy/liquid gold) prepare to be shocked and subsequently addicted to the sound of the Ethers. 

I agree with everything you just said. And my wallet is whimpering in fear, because I get to demo the Liquid Gold, in two days, lol. Please have a great day Matt and thanks for your keen descriptions of the ETHER and ETHER C headphones.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2,557 of 2,843
I agree with everything you just said. And my wallet is whimpering in fear, because I get to demo the Liquid Gold, in two days, lol. Please have a great day Matt and thanks for your keen descriptions of the ETHER and ETHER C headphones.

Thank you sir! Very jealous of your audition with the Lau. I'd appreciate your thoughts on it with the ETHERS when you've had a chance to put it through it's paces. I keep hoping that you'll show up at one of the Nashville meets. And don't forget about Canlanta on May 21. I'm hoping that Dan will have Ether stat there to audition. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799320/canlanta-2016/30#post_12475688

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,558 of 2,843
Thank you sir! Very jealous of your audition with the Lau. I'd appreciate your thoughts on it with the ETHERS when you've had a chance to put it through it's paces. I keep hoping that you'll show up at one of the Nashville meets. And don't forget about Canlanta on May 21. I'm hoping that Dan will have Ether stat there to audition. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799320/canlanta-2016/30#post_12475688

I hope this fall I can go to the Nashville meet and I will see about CanAtlanta in May. I love Atlanta and would be great to attend a head-fi meet there.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #2,560 of 2,843
  Hi i just recently purchased Ether with Onkyo DP-X1 DAP(all are coming soon)
so want to know is that DAP good enough to drive that headphone or need to add an amp?
if need which one you guys recommended?
thank you

It should be ok.  I was trying the Ether with a variety of sources at CanJam and they seemed pretty easy to drive.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,562 of 2,843
  Has anyone had the chance to listen to the Ether's on a DNA Stratus? Could be a great combo.

The Stratus specifically, or are you wanting a general idea of how Ether behaves on SET tube amps?  Once I get my Ethers I can chime in on the latter, I have a single-ended 45 amp that's going to be the Ether's primary dance partner.  It's in the same wheelhouse as amps like the Stratus and EC BA or 445.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,563 of 2,843
The Stratus specifically, or are you wanting a general idea of how Ether behaves on SET tube amps?  Once I get my Ethers I can chime in on the latter, I have a single-ended 45 amp that's going to be the Ether's primary dance partner.  It's in the same wheelhouse as amps like the Stratus and EC BA or 445.

Was looking at the Stratus specifically as I have one on order, but getting any thoughts on how the Ether works with tubes would be awesome.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,564 of 2,843
Was looking at the Stratus specifically as I have one on order, but getting any thoughts on how the Ether works with tubes would be awesome.

I rolled many sets of tubes with Ether and mjolnir 2. Ether LOVES tubes. IMO it gave it a more organic and warmish tone, beautiful. Telefunken ecc88 and 74 reflectors were the real standouts. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,565 of 2,843
Just recently joined the club with E1.1 :3 Dig it!
Has anyone tried the Ether C pads and if yes, what difference does it make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back