MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,537 of 2,843
I don't have a fixed budget but I would like to keep it under $1000 for a desktop setup.

I was looking for a DAC as well since I'm sure my PC output isn't doing these headphones justice.

Helps to know your budget, and if you want desktop or portable.  Also, it's generally best to use a DAC as well, PC DAC = not good.

For the amp look for Liquid Carbon

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,538 of 2,843
I don't have a fixed budget but I would like to keep it under $1000 for a desktop setup.

I was looking for a DAC as well since I'm sure my PC output isn't doing these headphones justice.

If you can swing $1100 for an amp, then get the DAC later, I recommend the MicroZOTL2. It's a tube amp that is amazingly clear and musical. The synergy with the Ether is, to my ears, incredible. FWIW. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,539 of 2,843
If you ask you may get a discount on the new Burson V2+ USB headphone Amp and DAC + pre. The indiegogo campaign just finished. They said they would honour waiting to get units at local dealers. I supported the campaign because the custom way they make the units and they reduced the price by 25% from the old cost. Have a look.
Schitt do good stuff but an all in one may be a way forward. My second hand OPPO ha1 makes my Ethers sing and give Dan's work justice but you always want more....

Always about money you have now.. or my Oppo would be upgraded to the Burson V2+.

Or a Dave my Favourite headphone Amp.

Kind regards and good luck

Dave...

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #2,541 of 2,843
I suppose we could throw anything from 2013 at you. Have a look at people's current set ups clicking thier avatar.
Might give you some ideas from what ETHER thread owners use.
Took me a year to choose the ETHER.

Good luck.
Oh ask and look on the Ether C thread also if you haven't already..

8^)

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,542 of 2,843
Unfortunately, I only heard the Ether with the micro iDSD, but I just got a Chord Mojo to use with my LCD-X, and it's quite the significant upgrade over the iDSD in my humble opinion.... 

How would you say the Mojo is an upgrade to the micro idsd?

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,543 of 2,843
Is this the "dum" cable... imho it seems kind of kinky and will not lay flat.  I know what is on the inside counts but...

My friend had that kinky cable.
I mine had the newer cable which is much better and never kinked liked that!

Also,
I don't get it with previous posts suggestions.

The Ether ran well off every dam amp I tried , either tube or solid state.
The issue is the neutrality and almost agressively dampened drivers being so alive.

You will hear your systems signature thru these headphones.

So if you hear any brightness,
I would look at your setup.

The only issue to pick at the Ether has been resolved with the 1.1foam.
Although I prefer to cut a diamond shaped hole in center of mine,
To keep that treble air..

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,544 of 2,843
I love my Ether C with my ALO mk3--b+ amp because the amp has a variable bass adjustment that I can dial in to exactly what I like no mater what I am listening to.
Sounds great on my Franken Ember setup too.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,546 of 2,843
How are the Ether and Ether Cs on pop, country and rock? Particularly from the 1980s, but also more recent as well? I also like Christian music and some jazz.

I would be pairing it with a Questyle QP1R.

Is it worth getting both as I could find uses for  both open and closed headphones dependent upon if I am by myself or around my wife.

Also, is the cable removable from the Ethers?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,547 of 2,843

Is it worth getting both as I could find uses for  both open and closed headphones dependent upon if I am by myself or around my wife.

Definitely a good buy - much cheaper than replacing the wife :)

The Ether sounds fantastic across many genre, this is one aspect of these cans which repeatedly blow me away (although I always had fun with grados specifically for rock - not sure why).  The cable on the Ether does indeed detach. 

Sorry, wish I could speak to the QP1R, but can't.

Good luck!

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #2,548 of 2,843
Hi i just recently purchased Ether with Onkyo DP-X1 DAP(all are coming soon)
so want to know is that DAP good enough to drive that headphone or need to add an amp?
if need which one you guys recommended?
thank you

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,549 of 2,843
  Hi i just recently purchased Ether with Onkyo DP-X1 DAP(all are coming soon)
so want to know is that DAP good enough to drive that headphone or need to add an amp?
if need which one you guys recommended?
thank you

I haven't heard the Onkyo, but specs say that it should work. The qp1r is brilliant with the Ether. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back