MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,351 of 5,796
Hi all...  It's been a little hectic with the Hong Kong show then on to London CanJam, and I am behind in PMs, if I'm not responding nothing personal, I'm just behind.  

For upgrades we're working on the order page, it's complex to setup within our store due to the options and permutations.  Once that's done, we'll notify the first 40 and give the "two weeks to order" window.  After that, we need to allow time for everyone to send in their headphones.  

To run the upgrades effectively we have to have a large number on hand to process in lots or we can't match drivers.  So for timing, expect 2 weeks after notification for everyone to order, another 2 weeks to receive all headphones for the lot, and about a 2 week turnaround for the lot.  So Peter's about right as to when upgrades will actually start, e.g. late September.

For new headphones, our packaging vendor had committed to deliver to us by the 21st, but he's now saying it may be the 24th, however we're building headphones and will have a large number ship when the packaging arrives. If the vendor does deliver the 24th as promised shipments will begin in volume the 25th.  

Awwsome, thanks for the update Dan

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,354 of 5,796
Now to decide open or closed .

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,355 of 5,796
  Hi all...  It's been a little hectic with the Hong Kong show then on to London CanJam, and I am behind in PMs, if I'm not responding nothing personal, I'm just behind.  

For upgrades we're working on the order page, it's complex to setup within our store due to the options and permutations.  Once that's done, we'll notify the first 40 and give the "two weeks to order" window.  After that, we need to allow time for everyone to send in their headphones.  

To run the upgrades effectively we have to have a large number on hand to process in lots or we can't match drivers.  So for timing, expect 2 weeks after notification for everyone to order, another 2 weeks to receive all headphones for the lot, and about a 2 week turnaround for the lot.  So Peter's about right as to when upgrades will actually start, e.g. late September.

For new headphones, our packaging vendor had committed to deliver to us by the 21st, but he's now saying it may be the 24th, however we're building headphones and will have a large number ship when the packaging arrives. If the vendor does deliver the 24th as promised shipments will begin in volume the 25th.  

Much obliged for the update, Dan.  As always, best of luck on the impending launch.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,356 of 5,796
Tyll says these have a mild v-shaped sound to them, I guess the search for an endgame continues :frowning2:
But I'll still stay updated for more reviews

From the review I read it seems 'mild' is the key word, and in relation to the new standard set by the new flagship Focal headphones. It reads to me like the ETHER Flow sets a new overall standard over the HE1000 and HD800S, according to Tyll's tastes. Personally, I'm very excited to receive mine based on Tyll's review.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,357 of 5,796
Tyll says these have a mild v-shaped sound to them, I guess the search for an endgame continues :frowning2:

I heard all three of the headphones Tyll mentioned in his review this last weekend... I personally didn't like the Elear and felt the Flow was a much better headphone.. IDK the Elear was just not my cup of tea... The Utopia though was breathtaking..

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,358 of 5,796
I heard all three of the headphones Tyll mentioned in his review this last weekend... I personally didn't like the Elear and felt the Flow was a much better headphone.. IDK the Elear was just not my cup of tea... The Utopia though was breathtaking..
I have to agree the Utopias were all that. Power went out before I could hear the Elear's though. Still leaning of making my C's open flows.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,359 of 5,796
Tyll says these have a mild v-shaped sound to them, I guess the search for an endgame continues
frown.gif

If you want a pair of mid-forward planars, it's pretty much the Audeze LCD-XC, which sound rather what I'd expect if Audio Technica (the kings of mid-forward designs) made a planar headphone.  

What I think Tyll was referring to would be like you get if you fold a piece of paper in half, then unfold it and try and lay it flat.  It wont sit completely flat, and that's more or less what you get in frequency response with the Ethers. I find them pretty good at expressing the size of a recording venue without over- or under-doing it.

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #1,360 of 5,796
I really didn't hear "mild V shape" when I auditioned them. Nothing against Tyll but to my ears these headphones are quite neutral. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,361 of 5,796

If you want a pair of mid-forward planars, it's pretty much the Audeze LCD-XC, which sound rather what I'd expect if Audio Technica (the kings of mid-forward designs) made a planar headphone.  

What I think Tyll was referring to would be like you get if you fold a piece of paper in half, then unfold it and try and lay it flat.  It wont sit completely flat, and that's more or less what you get in frequency response with the Ethers. I find them pretty good at expressing the size of a recording venue without over- or under-doing it.

I am not looking for a planar specifically, but just a mid forward flagship with a good soundstage and image. I will look into how emphasized the bass response of the lcd-x is

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,362 of 5,796

I am not looking for a planar specifically, but just a mid forward flagship with a good soundstage and image. I will look into how emphasized the bass response of the lcd-x is

The LCD-X and XC are different -- the latter is a closed-back headphone. The consequence of adding the closed ends is that the mid-bass drops down significantly, but the mids are left forward. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,363 of 5,796

The LCD-X and XC are different -- the latter is a closed-back headphone. The consequence of adding the closed ends is that the mid-bass drops down significantly, but the mids are left forward. 

Open backs have more mid-bass? 
blink.gif

I will compare the lcd-xc to the original ether c and the koss esp950, then decide on which to get

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,364 of 5,796
  Open backs have more mid-bass? 
blink.gif

I will compare the lcd-xc to the original ether c and the koss esp950, then decide on which to get

The original Ether C 1.1 is mid-treble forward with big soundstage even though a closed headphone although it might lack punch and quantity in the bass. The imaging is insanely accurate IMO. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,365 of 5,796
  The original Ether C 1.1 is mid-treble forward with big soundstage even though a closed headphone although it might lack punch and quantity in the bass. The imaging is insanely accurate IMO. 

Bass is not that important to me, how does the soundstage compare to your HD598? So I think it goes down to ether c or esp950

Users who are viewing this thread

Back