MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #931 of 5,796
Is anyone here from Nashville?  Just wondering where I could have a listen in the Nashville area.
There is a meet twice a year in Nashville . Out of the 4 times I have been there Dan has been there 3 times.
Not to say he will be there at the fall meet just saying he makes a a showing .

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #932 of 5,796

No reason not to give 5 Stars?

How about they need up-grading, for starters?    

Geez, Amos, company's stuff that needs improvements shouldn't get top ratings.     

Of course Mr.Speakers is a darling of the headphone industry, maybe even one of our favorite "come from behind" guys.  He's even a wonderful person to meet.  

His products are lovely but still they are not "stable" products, they become stale as soon as the "outfit" dreams-up a new version.  

William Z.Johnson of Audio Research Corporation in Minnesota was Famous ( infamous ) for repeatedly pulling this trick, starting with the SP6 Preamp ( in the early 1980s ), he did 5 or 6 major upgrades on it ( I took a SP6E in trade, once ).   The guy kept his company afloat by building "New" stuff that was claimed to be "better".   His faithful following continued to buy enough to keep ARC going all these years. 

On the other hand, Schiit did one major upgrade to the Asgard and says they have no plans to upgrade it again!  My kind of company, for gods sake. 

I'm hopeful in Focal and their headphone offerings being stable, I've always had the feeling the European guys like to build their own stuff "in-house" and design it to have a long Market Life. 

Perhaps our lovely Mr.Speakers guy is on a learning curve here or perhaps he's taken with the ARC business model of releasing products that need improvements.

So-far, Mr.Speakers isn't building confidence. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.   We in the Auto Industry have Egg on our Faces over this upgrade issue, we're as guilty of this "Sin" as the next guy!!!

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #933 of 5,796

Geez, Amos, company's stuff that needs improvements shouldn't get top ratings.     

Of course Mr.Speakers is a darling of the headphone industry, maybe even one of our favorite "come from behind" guys.  He's even a wonderful person to meet.  

His products are lovely but still they are not "stable" products, they become stale as soon as the "outfit" dreams-up a new version.  

William Z.Johnson of Audio Research Corporation in Minnesota was Famous ( infamous ) for repeatedly pulling this trick, starting with the SP6 Preamp ( in the early 1980s ), he did 5 or 6 major upgrades on it ( I took a SP6E in trade, once ).   The guy kept his company afloat by building "New" stuff that was claimed to be "better".   His faithful following continued to buy enough to keep ARC going all these years. 

On the other hand, Schiit did one major upgrade to the Asgard and says they have no plans to upgrade it again!  My kind of company, for gods sake. 

I'm hopeful in Focal and their headphone offerings being stable, I've always had the feeling the European guys like to build their own stuff "in-house" and design it to have a long Market Life. 

Perhaps our lovely Mr.Speakers guy is on a learning curve here or perhaps he's taken with the ARC business model of releasing products that need improvements.

So-far, Mr.Speakers isn't building confidence. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.   We in the Auto Industry have Egg on our Faces over this upgrade issue, we're as guilty of this "Sin" as the next guy!!!
Just find a deferent headphone.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #934 of 5,796
I guess people post stuff like this with hopes they'll find like minded individuals ... well, I count two or three. Maybe they'll exchange phone numbers and enjoy their echo chamber . The rest of us embrace the continual "I can make it better" modus operandi of MrSpeakers.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #935 of 5,796
I guess people post stuff like this with hopes they'll find like minded individuals ... well, I count two or three. Maybe they'll exchange phone numbers and enjoy their echo chamber . The rest of us embrace the continual "I can make it better" modus operandi of MrSpeakers.

+1. Graciously awaiting my "new and improved" Ether C Flow.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #936 of 5,796
Nothing lasts forever... :) We have to verify the upgrades are reliable and to the standard of new product and that we don't loose money doing them.

Good point on ETHER pads, silly of me to not address that. I have to think about that...

Maybe just add in the cost of the new pads? That's what I was wanting to do in the first place, basic upgrade and purchase new pads.

Me too since i can't compare Flow and C Flow before upgrading

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #937 of 5,796

+2 I hope i will be able to get to the 40 lucky ones

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #938 of 5,796

I didn't give the original Ethers 5 stars. I gave the Ether Flow, which I don't feel needs anything to be better, 5 stars. However if Dan finds a way to make them even better still, then great!

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #939 of 5,796
Is there an upgrade form on their website yet????

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #941 of 5,796

I didn't give the original Ethers 5 stars. I gave the Ether Flow, which I don't feel needs anything to be better, 5 stars. However if Dan finds a way to make them even better still, then great!

I think more folks need to have these in hand to truly understand. I'm no authority on anything but I'm absolutely thrilled with the Ether Flow. Coming from Ether C 1.1 and HE-560 before that it isn't like I wasn't already into some pretty great cans. Pairing Ether Flow w/ my iPod+Mojo stack is just amazing. Soon others will get it.

BTW, I'd only had my Ether C 1.1 in hand for a little over a month when the upgrade was announced so I could have gotten upset however with the upgrade program and knowing how the tech world is, what's the point? There's always going to be something better just over the horizon and at least Dan has given us a reasonable path to upgrade if we are so inclined.

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #942 of 5,796

Mr.Amos,

Even better could then be 6 Stars!   

By the way, I don't think that you're easy to impress, just "not" taking the "Long View".  

Then again, you have a group of "eager" consumers to nudge and the job of nudging.  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  I seen some of the closets of active headphone guys who've bought a whole lot of headphone gear, these last 3 years, I never had 2 Channel customers buying compulsively as you're bunch. 

ps. 2,  I just checked Ebay for used Mr.Speakers.  I found a few Dog types but only one of the newer from someone in the far-East ( sold for a bit more than $1,000, sealed-New )

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #943 of 5,796
There is a meet twice a year in Nashville . Out of the 4 times I have been there Dan has been there 3 times.
Not to say he will be there at the fall meet just saying he makes a a showing .

I hope to be there this fall although I might take the train or fly. :)

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #945 of 5,796
Mr. Reddog,

How you been?   

Tony in Michigan..., soon to be in Venice

Hi Tony I am doing better. My heart is getting stronger and I think I found another place to move to ( still in east Bradenton). Venice is a great little city,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back