MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jun 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #7,501 of 9,071
Thoroguhly enjoying my Alpha Dog at work. One problem though, and it's actually been a problem since my AD's were MD's. It seems that the right cup doesn't seal on my head as well as the left cup, and it feels awkward. I think I may have bent the headband unequally; is this a likely diagnosis? A current band-aid solution is lowering my right cup further than my left, which makes it feel more even.

here's a picture of the AD's on their stand, where the imbalance is apparent:

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #7,503 of 9,071
  I hope this doesn't sound stupid but have you considered whether your ears aren't level? I know that mine aren't...

Uhh... wow... I actually never considered this one, haha. Not stupid at all, quite insightful actually.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #7,506 of 9,071
Alpha Dog measurements on Innerfidelity for the curious.  Alpha Dog

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #7,507 of 9,071
Jun 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #7,510 of 9,071
  I am curious as to if he used the black felt discs with the AD measurement. At the little talk with Dan & Tyll is when he tested he enjoyed the ADs with one disc more than no disc and 2 discs

Yes, he played with the vent and the treats.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #7,511 of 9,071
I'm happy to see Tyll's measurements on these.  I'm curious which setup this one corresponds to (most likely one disc).

I've compared Tyll's frequency response of the Alpha Dog to some other measurements in his database and find that the Alpha Dog's matches that of the pre-fazor LCD-2v2 quite closely except for the very extremes.  The Alpha Dog has a bit more mid- and sub-bass (+4dB or so), and the Alpha Dog rolls off after 10kHz -- these are the two main differences.  The midrange and lower treble of the Alpha Dog is close to all of the Audeze offerings, in fact.  

I also call your attention to the graph NEXT to the frequency graph -- the one titled "Isolation".  That curve is one of the best in Tyll's database if sound isolation is your goal. In fact, it rivals the Howard Leight Sync which is a passive-only isolation-first headphone with a ragged frequency response (although the Sync does isolate better in the midrange).  Two thoughts come to mind:  1)  With a little DIY electronics, the Alpha Dog could turn into an incredible active noise cancellation headset from an acoustic isolation point of view (not saying anything about the sound -- usually such systems mess up the system fidelity IMO).  2)  Even without any active noise cancellation, the Alpha Dog is a great isolating headphone.  It makes me think I should take it to the racetrack the next time I attend a race.  The size of the headphone is not a problem there, and the automotive paint would even fit the venue.  

EDIT:  I just checked the difference, and Audeze LCD-2 ver 2 and Alpha Dog come to within +/-4dB of each other from the subbass to 10kHz -- and this is without any measurement smoothing on Tyll's data.  If smoothing is applied, I would think the difference would fall to within +/-3dB, which many would recognize as the old-school similarity tolerance for frequency response.  When I first heard the Alpha Dog, I told Dan that I don't think it needs any EQ.  Given that my own sonic signature preference falls squarely within the Audeze camp, now I have some confirmation as to why.   I have both of these headphones, I listen to both, and I keep the EQ flat on both. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #7,512 of 9,071
  I'm happy to see Tyll's measurements on these.  I'm curious which setup this one corresponds to (most likely one disc).

I've compared Tyll's frequency response of the Alpha Dog to some other measurements in his database and find that the Alpha Dog's matches that of the pre-fazor LCD-2v2 quite closely except for the very extremes.  The Alpha Dog has a bit more mid- and sub-bass (+4dB or so), and the Alpha Dog rolls off after 10kHz -- these are the two main differences.  The midrange and lower treble of the Alpha Dog is close to all of the Audeze offerings, in fact.  

I also call your attention to the graph NEXT to the frequency graph -- the one titled "Isolation".  That curve is one of the best in Tyll's database if sound isolation is your goal. In fact, it rivals the Howard Leight Sync which is a passive-only isolation-first headphone with a ragged frequency response (although the Sync does isolate better in the midrange).  Two thoughts come to mind:  1)  With a little DIY electronics, the Alpha Dog could turn into an incredible active noise cancellation headset from an acoustic isolation point of view (not saying anything about the sound -- usually such systems mess up the system fidelity IMO).  2)  Even without any active noise cancellation, the Alpha Dog is a great isolating headphone.  It makes me think I should take it to the racetrack the next time I attend a race.  The size of the headphone is not a problem there, and the automotive paint would even fit the venue.  

EDIT:  I just checked the difference, and Audeze LCD-2 ver 2 and Alpha Dog come to within +/-4dB of each other from the subbass to 10kHz -- and this is without any measurement smoothing on Tyll's data.  If smoothing is applied, I would think the difference would fall to within +/-3dB, which many would recognize as the old-school similarity tolerance for frequency response.  When I first heard the Alpha Dog, I told Dan that I don't think it needs any EQ.  Given that my own sonic signature preference falls squarely within the Audeze camp, now I have some confirmation as to why.   I have both of these headphones, I listen to both, and I keep the EQ flat on both. 

Nice insight. I like that it measures very closely to the LCD-2v2 which puts it in the ballpark to play with the flagship headphones. A very nice $600 headphone that matches my sound preference.

I do wonder though how the Alpha Dog would sound with active noise cancellation. A marketing idea to break into the mainstream? Eep scratch that idea anything related to the Beats market makes me sick to my stomach.

Maybe an audiophile's dream upgrade from the Bose QC 15?

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #7,513 of 9,071
  Nice insight. I like that it measures very closely to the LCD-2v2 which puts it in the ballpark to play with the flagship headphones. A very nice $600 headphone that matches my sound preference.

I do wonder though how the Alpha Dog would sound with active noise cancellation. A marketing idea to break into the mainstream? Eep scratch that idea anything related to the Beats market makes me sick to my stomach.

Maybe an audiophile's dream upgrade from the Bose QC 15?

The DIY project in my mind is to forget about pumping high quality sound through the ANC circuit and focus on making the best active isolating earmuffs one could make.  The Alpha Dog is a good start because it isolates the high frequencies of the outside world so well -- ANC is only effective at low frequencies due to physical wavelengths, and usually below 500Hz. 

Although I like ANC and use it when I fly at times, I think it is a bit at odds with high fidelity sound in the way it is implemented in consumer products.  

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #7,514 of 9,071
One day there was a fire alarm in my company and people started leaving office. However I had Alphas on my ears and my eyes completely focused on computer screen. I didn't hear the alarm! If didn't suddenly look away from monitor I would have been the only person who stayed in the office. Dangerous Alphas ... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back