MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #227 of 9,071
Quote:
And what exactly would give you the idea that you speak for the majority when many of the comments here have expressed the opposite?

That being said, Dan, like any other manufacturer, can choose whatever color he wants. I wouldn't expect that he would change his plans mid-stream, but he may find this feedback helpful for his future plans.  Right now, the color is the only thing giving me pause from pre-ordering (although I may go ahead and order anyway 
wink.gif
)

It's interesting to note that changing color with a printer is simple and you can print a couple of dozen blacks, followed by red, followed by white.  It sounds like however he is 'post printing' painting which probably leaves a much better finish.  The matte black would be straight out of the printer..........hmm, that would be very understated like the TH600.   I've only seen two different printers results and the output sort of needed post printing treatment - in other words, it's not like injection molding with flawless surface right out of the mold. 

It's up to the main man Mr Dan if he wants to go through that hassle.  I wouldn't blame him if he did what Henry Ford did in 1930 - "you can have any color as long as it's black".  Mass production does not like variation - coming from a certified Lean Manufacturing guy, I get it. 100%. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #228 of 9,071
Think I would prefer natural white unpainted but lightly sanded with stainless or black adjusters.  I would especially appreciate the unpainted version if it was discounted.  Single 1/4" connector and single cable entry.  Would be real nice if he had an option to 3D print the owner's name on the inside of the cups.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #229 of 9,071
Quote:
Wondering if Dan considers upgrade program for existing Mad Dog users, similar to what he had for newer revision of MD.

Dude really...?

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #230 of 9,071
Quote:
And what exactly would give you the idea that you speak for the majority when many of the comments here have expressed the opposite?

It is a well-known fact that people are much more likely to comment on a product if they have a problem with it. If you're content with something, you're much more likely to enjoy it quietly. If you're dissatisfied, you want to let the manufacturer know. A big problem with online stores these days is encouraging buyers to write product reviews, since those who write reviews (especially of fairly inexpensive products) tend to be those who've become disenchanted for one reason or another. It's why many online stores incentivize the review process.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #231 of 9,071
Quote:
Wondering if Dan considers upgrade program for existing Mad Dog users, similar to what he had for newer revision of MD.

Upgrades

Continuing our tradition of allowing users in our installed base to upgrade, we are pleased to offer our best upgrade program yet:

For Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads (any version) the upgrade price is the difference between the current list price of your model and the Alpha Dog.  That comes to only $300 for Mad Dog owners, or $200 for Balanced or Universal Mad Dog owners plus shipping
For Mad Dogs with 840 or Dog Pads the upgrade price is the difference between the current list price of your model and the Alpha Dog plus a pair of Alpha Pads: $360 plus shipping

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #232 of 9,071
Quote:
Upgrades

Continuing our tradition of allowing users in our installed base to upgrade, we are pleased to offer our best upgrade program yet:

For Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads (any version) the upgrade price is the difference between the current list price of your model and the Alpha Dog.  That comes to only $300 for Mad Dog owners, or $200 for Balanced or Universal Mad Dog owners plus shipping
For Mad Dogs with 840 or Dog Pads the upgrade price is the difference between the current list price of your model and the Alpha Dog plus a pair of Alpha Pads: $360 plus shipping

Thanks, I should have RTFM first.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #236 of 9,071
Quote:

Dan offering this upgrade is I think the single coolest things I've seen in my five years of headfi. Kudos, Mr. Speakers. 

+1

And if he didn't offer it this entire thread would be overrun by people whining and complaining. He honestly had no choice. Either become the most beloved man on Head-Fi or the most hated. LOL.

I think the color is fine the way it is, and the adjustment sliders go with the current color. It's the not the first color I would have chosen from a line up, but I think it's fine. I don't get all this black color obsessiveness on Head-Fi. Everything must be black. Amps, Dacs, Headphones and of course their cup sliders. Insecurity? I'm surprised people don't anodize their own head black. Matte of course, God forbid shiny anything.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #238 of 9,071
Quote:

Thanks for the exhaustive impressions dB. How would you rate the "openness" of the sound?

I don't mean the headstage or the imaging capabilities, but rather, would you close your eyes with these cans on, and be able to go "sounds like an open headphone"?

Quote:
@jerg...

yes, when I close my eyes with the AD on I can easily get a sense of openness and space of a decent open back hp. They are at least on par with the hd650 IMO for sound stage and instrument separation which in itself is an incredible feat. 

agreed - not closed sounding at all ..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back