MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,358 of 9,071

Look forward to your impressions having read your HD800 and TH900 postings

Add the Mad Dog and LCD-3 to that list as well. Lots of listening to come. 

Which one is the TH900 I can't tell the difference?

Similar coating, but of course the urushi wood is still the most stunning finish I've ever seen. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,359 of 9,071
Yah all of these people with their Alpha Dogs and only 1 person posted impressions. -_-

I'd imagine that most are taking time to listen critically to the headphones between work and other responsibilities. And the people in the first wave are known for their reviews so I'm sure they're making sure to give us the full rundown. It'll just be a bit more patience before we see some fully formed reviews coming out. I wouldn't be surprised to see mostly short impressions here and there over the next week with reviews slowly trickling in during that time and throughout the month as more and more people get theirs. I used to hold a job in game journalism and I could only put out about 2-3 reviews and a handful of news articles a week when I did nothing but play and write for a full time job.

I fully expect the wait to be worth it on these reviews. :wink:

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,360 of 9,071
  Apples and oranges.

You were referring to a "baseline", MLE is referring to "liking".

From what I have read, my guess is that MLE does most of his listening to music that has no "reference point".  A popular and famous example of what I mean is Daft Punk.  All of the sounds are either entirely electronic or else highly processed.  So, if you listen to ten different headphones, it's really not possible to say that any particular reproduction is "what Bangalter intends it to sound like".   For that sort of music, a choice of system components is all about what you enjoy when listening.  So, you can say "these headphones are more enjoyable than those, on the music that I like".  And really, this is the most important thing.

But there is also the concepts of "baselines" and "reference points".  Suppose you go to a wedding reception, and they have a string quartet playing Mozart.  This gives you a reference point as to what a violin actually sounds like in person (as well as a viola, cello and bass).  If someone recorded that performance, that would be a great "baseline" to use for checking systems.  Any way in which playback of that recording of the string quartet sounds different from what you heard, is a "distortion" of the recording.

Ultimately, purchasing the most enjoyable product is still the best, but a system that sounds close to the actual sound of instruments, will sound good on everything.

None of this makes any sense.

From my understanding, the 3.2 is tuned to have a little less midrange emphasis than the 3.0, in exchange for more bass heft and treble clarity. I don't see how either one is flawed. Does the 3.0 not sound like a Mad Dog?

Still, all of this is moot. I won't discuss the matter anymore to avoid any possible escalations.

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,361 of 9,071
^ lol what does moot mean
popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,362 of 9,071
  Hi, gelocks. I visited your page and saw that you have a C421 and I am not sure whether you still keep that portable amplifier or not, but if it ok please try to pair the Alpha dog with C421 because I have a C421 too and I would like to know you thought. Thanks a lot. However, you have X3 too. Nice.

Sorry.
I no longer own the C421.
But I can say that the Mad Dogs sounded a bit underwhelming with that amp. I liked it with my Leckerton UHA-6SMKII and for some songs it still lacked a bit of ooommpphh. I'm thinking the Alpha Dogs are similar so...

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,363 of 9,071

Apples and oranges.

You were referring to a "baseline", MLE is referring to "liking".

From what I have read, my guess is that MLE does most of his listening to music that has no "reference point".  A popular and famous example of what I mean is Daft Punk.  All of the sounds are either entirely electronic or else highly processed.  So, if you listen to ten different headphones, it's really not possible to say that any particular reproduction is "what Bangalter intends it to sound like".   For that sort of music, a choice of system components is all about what you enjoy when listening.  So, you can say "these headphones are more enjoyable than those, on the music that I like".  And really, this is the most important thing.

But there is also the concepts of "baselines" and "reference points".  Suppose you go to a wedding reception, and they have a string quartet playing Mozart.  This gives you a reference point as to what a violin actually sounds like in person (as well as a viola, cello and bass).  If someone recorded that performance, that would be a great "baseline" to use for checking systems.  Any way in which playback of that recording of the string quartet sounds different from what you heard, is a "distortion" of the recording.

Ultimately, purchasing the most enjoyable product is still the best, but a system that sounds close to the actual sound of instruments, will sound good on everything.

None of this makes any sense.

From my understanding, the 3.2 is tuned to have a little less midrange emphasis than the 3.0, in exchange for more bass heft and treble clarity. I don't see how either one is flawed. Does the 3.0 not sound like a Mad Dog?

Still, all of this is moot. I won't discuss the matter anymore to avoid any possible escalations.

The difference between the 2.0 and the 3.0 was the Alpha Pads.  This made a significant difference in the sound.  So, Dan re-tuned the Mad Dogs to take into account the differences, and the result is that the 3.2 was the best sounding Mad Dogs yet.

When I had the 3.0, I read statements like the above, but I was skeptical.  I ended up getting a 3.2 in addition to the 3.0 and so had a chance to compare them, and IMHO the 3.2 is all around better.

Here is what some may be missing.

Every midrange and bass sound has overtones in the frequencies above.  If you cut off all the sound above the midrange, you don't just lose the treble instruments (like cymbals), you also lose part of the sound of the midrange and bass instruments.

No escalation of anything needed, I am not arguing, just clarifying some sound science...

PS to Grizz -  "Moot" means "things have changed and it no longer matters"

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,364 of 9,071
  Add the Mad Dog and LCD-3 to that list as well. Lots of listening to come.

That's crazy to have so many even if they offer different things (have demoed all the top tiers myself). But looking forward to reading where you consider the AD to sit and whether they scale to compete with the big boys

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2,365 of 9,071
  ^ lol what does moot mean
popcorn.gif

moot
mo͞ot/
adjective
adjective: moot
    subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty, and typically not admitting of a final decision.

"whether the temperature rise was mainly due to the greenhouse effect was a moot point"
    synonyms:debatable, open to discussion/question, arguablequestionable, at issue, open to doubt, disputablecontroversialcontentious, disputed,unresolvedunsettled, up in the air More  

1. having no practical significance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.

"it is moot whether this phrase should be treated as metaphor or not"

The red part is how I meant it in this context

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,366 of 9,071
Quick Overview:

Just like what happens to me every time I switch from Dynamic to Planar, sound was a bit underwhelming at first...
Letting my brain get the "hang" of it again...

I have to say, I really thought the Alpha Dogs would sound VERY similar to the Mad Dogs just with a wider stage and more air... that's not really the case based on this initial listen...
The main difference I'm listening right now (bare in mind that I have the MDs 3.0), is that the Alpha's are less warm with less bass impact and presence! Sub-bass is mostly similar but mid-bass is a bit less impactful (probably due to MD's bump and the increase stage and treble energy). Also, there seems to be another bump up a bit higher in the mids because somehow male vocals seem a bit more forward now... unless this is being brought up due to having less mid-bass impact.

I'm going through my usual playlist and have both Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs connected to my Lehman BCL (next thing to buy is a new amp! :wink:) so I'm actively comparing during songs. As of now, I'm enjoying them which really, this is the important thing. :wink: 

BUT, I've received a few PMs asking specifically for bass, although I haven't played with the manual settings (Very-bass tuning), if you are looking for IMPACT/SLAM and a healthy quantity, then, no, these wont provide it (especially if you are a basshead). But what it provides is decent enough to enjoy tracks from Kaskade, Netsky and similar acts.

I will provide a bit more later on, but since a lot of people seem "thirsty" for information, these are my initial impressions.
Note though, usually my initial impressions don't change... I guess I've gotten used to comparing headphones and catching their differences rather quickly... (I should by now darn it after spending all I have spent these past few years!! LOL).

Check.

P.S. Loving this song with the Alphas... this Salsa "band" is actually made up from Rockers... so their Salsa has a bit of "pop" on it, especially the progressions. Pretty good.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,368 of 9,071
Can somebody confirm if it's worth upgrading if I like the mad dogs musical and lush sound. it will cost me so much to upgrade from the uk $300 plus shipping and customs fees so probably nearly $500!

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,370 of 9,071
What freq does the bass adjustment play with?
Just curious as I like the idea of a more neutral headphone from mid to trebble, but I guess from an audiophile standpoint, (which I am not one of), I am a bass head. I like punchy but clear controlled bass, however in saying that, only when the music calls for it.
Eg. Bass drum in hotel California from the hell freezes over tour. I am most unhappy if I don't feel that drum.
Same for being able to really get into cello, feeling that string without bloat.
Something I was spoilt with by the lcd2r1. However its trebble was rolled off a little much for me I loved it still

Users who are viewing this thread

Back