Most ridiculous tweak?
Aug 25, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 162
Now we're way off topic, but people who tend to advertise their religion tend to be "off." Back in college two friends of mine were wiccan but just didn't really advertise the fact. They ended up getting married and are doing pretty well out in society.

As for them believing in "nonsense" I never really brought it up, because from a logical perspective it's really not that much more strange then believing in the god of Abraham once you take away the judgment of society.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for them believing in "nonsense" I never really brought it up, because from a logical perspective it's really not that much more strange then believing in the god of Abraham once you take away the judgment of society.

That's why I'm agnostic. I believe there is a good chance there is a god, but don't know whether he looks like Jerry Garcia or a frog
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #33 of 162
It is funny how by this same logic, many people find those tweaks absurd, becasue we can not find any scientific explantion, nor common sense to explain them (neither do I, so do not think that I'm on the opposite side), but OTOH you do beleive in others. Others that IMO carry the same load of BS, and lack the same way of scientific explanation/evidence as well. IF youl ook closer, some of those tweaks by the laws we know, and have now, that BTW, will be not too different IMO from the ones we will have in the next 20 from now, (as they have not changed in more than 50 years, so chances are that nobody will try to do it in the near or long term future) can not be explaned, and just because others had stated, they do hear differences...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 162
OMG

Quote:

It is also advantageous to place a strip of Silver Rainbow Foil specifically over the word 'disc' (part of the Compact Disc symbol).

A strip of Silver Rainbow Foil should also be placed specifically over the number 33 1/3 rd or 45 which is usually printed on both labels of a vinyl record to indicate the speed.

OK, this is a joke, right???

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is funny how by this same logic, many people find those tweaks absurd, becasue we can not find any scientific explantion, nor common sense to explain them (neither do I, so do not think that I'm on the opposite side), but OTOH you do beleive in others. Others that IMO carry the same load of BS, and lack the same way of scientific explanation/evidence as well. IF youl ook closer, some of those tweaks by the laws we know, and have now, that BTW, will be not too different IMO from the ones we will have in the next 20 from now, (as they have not changed in more than 50 years, so chances are that nobody will try to do it in the near or long term future) can not be explaned, and just because others had stated, they do hear differences...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Occam's razor. The Tweak Works vs. Perceptial Distortion. We have a tool to get rid of this effect, it's called ABX. Unfortunately that topic is banned here, so, what can you do?

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #36 of 162
Quote:

Occam's razor. The Tweak Works vs. Perceptial Distortion. We have a tool to get rid of this effect, it's called ABX. Unfortunately that topic is banned here, so, what can you do?

Just keep being skeptical in all those claims, till they are scientifically proved, instead of going and play the same game with those voodoo beleivers, and try to hear those differences due to those claimed non scientific tweaks, that in good margin are just due to placebo, or to due other circumstantial things...but whatever makes one happy is waht should matter to them...if you feel that a power cable works wonders, and that any equipment burn in is real, and that a capacitor needs 200 hours to perform its best, and that biwiring will benefit your speakers, and that an LP sounds better than a CD just because it is analog, disregarding all otherl imitations of the media, and that you can hear the jitter errors, but not the surface noise on an LP, and that tubes are better than SS, and, and, and...what else???? makes you happy, that is what counts....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #37 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just keep being skeptical in all those claims, till they are scientifically proved, instead of going and play the same game with those voodoo beleivers, and try to hear those differences due to those claimed non scientific tweaks, that in good margin are just due to placebo, or to due other circumstantial things...but whatever makes one happy is waht should matter to them...if you feel that a power cable works wonders, and that any equipment burn in is real, and that a capacitor needs 200 hours to perform its best, and that biwiring will benefit your speakers, and that an LP sounds better than a CD just because it is analog, disregarding all otherl imitations of the media, and that you can hear the jitter errors, but not the surface noise on an LP, and that tubes are better than SS, and, and, and...what else???? makes you happy, that is what counts....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

We're talking about things that are scientifically disproven. A lot of these tweaks are thus completely outside of the realm of science, and in the realm of faith.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #38 of 162
Actually, faith isn't even the right word. Science cannot comment on the existence of god because it's not a testable hypothesis. These tweaks are testable, it's just people don't like the results.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #39 of 162
Quote:

We're talking about things that are scientifically disproven. A lot of these tweaks are thus completely outside of the realm of science, and in the realm of faith.

Some of the ones I mentioned above have also been disproven by science, and some people still insist in believing in them...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

I have noticed that in this snobophile world, errrr, I mean, audiophile world, sorry, while someone wants to beleive in something, there is no force in earth or scientific evidence good enough to convince them otherwise. Just see around in the few cases while the "banned test" have been implemented, all what the believers stated after (never before, just after the results offer something that they do not like) are the flaws of these tests, but they never come with a better solution for the test, nor to implement one to prove the opposite, of course not!!!! They believe in that and period, they do not need such an evidence, the rest to them are just so stupid, that are trying to prove it...
wink.gif
....and this way they keep on believing what they want, and the rest that are looking for an answer will never see the light...
confused.gif

So why someone ask me my opinion about one of those controversial topics, I take into consideration if the person really wants to know about them, and wants a scientific explanation, or at least my honest point of view, of the phenomena in question, or if the person wants only to confirm what they beleive one more time.
In the first case I try to invest my time and try to explain them what they are looking for, the best way I know off, or at least give them my honest opinion in the subject, given my limited experience, but in the second case, I just play dumb and ignorant, as I will not waste my time in arguments...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #40 of 162
What these blocks do is to block some resonance from your speakers to dampen some frequencies. it's for making your accoustics better in your listening room. It's the same princaple as the wood panels in studio's etc. You can do that too with tapestry and carpets on the floor and on the wall, even curtains will help.

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #42 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but they're about 1" tall. Please explain how they work and why Pt works better than Au works better than Ag works better than Cu.

Why don't you ask the maker of the things, much easier.
tongue.gif
cool.gif
blink.gif

oh end, you might do some research yourself, you always ask people to do that for you, i noticed!

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #43 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What these blocks do is to block some resonance from your speakers to dampen some frequencies. it's for making your accoustics better in your listening room. It's the same princaple as the wood panels in studio's etc. You can do that too with tapestry and carpets on the floor and on the wall, even curtains will help.

You're putting words into their mouth. A direct quote from their site:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioExotics.hk
Its primary function is to tackle standing waves created by excessive bass energy

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #44 of 162
It sounded ridiculous to me but my stoner friend in high school swore that a joint of Maui homegrown bud allowed him to go deeper into Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon at the local planetarium.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #45 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you ask the maker of the things, much easier.
tongue.gif
cool.gif
blink.gif

oh end, you might do some research yourself, you always ask people to do that for you, i noticed!

It's a valid question. By their own admission the purpose of the product is to cancel unwanted sounds. But then they go on to describe the beneficial acoustic properties of each metal.

In other words, the beneficial acoustic properties of sounds you don't hear. It's ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back