Most ridiculous tweak?
Aug 25, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of tweaks out there that fall under the heading of "ridiculous." (Remember the green markers you were supposed to use on the edges of your CDs to stop the light from getting out?)

What's your favorite? I'll start the ball rolling with my nomination, a $485 wooden volume knob that:

485 dollars is robbery; anybody with the right tools could make such a knob for a few dollars.

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 162
Quote:

And the "teleportation tweak" apparently has "burn in time" associated with it, according to at least one reviewer! Hilarious...someone is clearly having a good laugh, though it's not clear that these tweaks are any more ridiculous than CD degaussers or $100+ power cables.

Actually, i use a degauser cd and it actually works, after the 3 minutes it sounds much better but in a week or so you'll have to do it again.

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 162
Sounds like Chinese food!

See ya
Steve

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 162
You know the problem with German food? It fills you up but then 30 minutes later you're hungry for power.

About CD degaussers, I've never been able to figure out where the magnetic part of a CD is. Also, I get bit-perfect copies out of my CD-ROM drive using EAC. I am not sure how the degaussed bit-perfect copy is any better. Maybe the ones and zeros are a little bit bigger? A little sharper on the edges?

[size=medium]0001000101010111000001[/size] (before)

[size=large]0001000101010111000001[/size] (after)

580smile.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 162
Quote:

About CD degaussers, I've never been able to figure out where the magnetic part of a CD is.

I think it's the steel plate in the skull of the person who buys into snake oil like this!

See ya
Steve

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 162
The people who believe these things are absurd.

It is amazing how people let themselves be ripped off because they choose to believe such crap.

Why people that believe things that defy physics and logic amazes me.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, i use a degauser cd and it actually works, after the 3 minutes it sounds much better but in a week or so you'll have to do it again.

I use the degausser on my PS Audio P500 power regenerator and it does work. Can't speak to the CD, but at least the degaussing principle seems sound.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #24 of 162
Anything by machina-dynamica. The fact all their products get such glowing reviews on "trusted sites" really makes me question what is really driving the audiophile world
frown.gif

Intellegent Box. Basically an LED inside a wood box for $400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6moons
Because we still have no 100% explanation for how these light treatments work on the physical disc itself, we will keep searching for that elusive answer. In the meantime, zap away. That part isn't in question at all.

Brilliant Pebbles. A box of pebbles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6moons
Think it over. Could be the best twenty nine bucks you spend this year.

Clever Little Clock. This one is just insane. It's your average $10 electric alarm clock with a sticker on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by positive-feedback
Machina Dynamica sells the clock direct for $199, and it's well worth the price.

When this site first started it was an admitted parody. Even the very name is a play on blind faith!

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 162
Quote:

The fact all their products get such glowing reviews on "trusted sites" really makes me question what is really driving the audiophile world

Thanks, Chu. I feel the same way. It's quite maddening. And the brilliant pebbles not only improve sound when placed in the room, they can be tied to speaker cables to improve their performance.

It's obviously, transparently a hoax, a joke (and a brilliant one) but it is taken quite seriously!

I know all about a fool and his money soon parting, but I'm wondering how so many fools seem to have accumulated so much money in the first place!

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 162
Oh man, looking at these things stokes my hatred for humanity
rolleyes.gif
Quite funny that one would put so much money aside for one of these 'tweaks', rather than something else. I can think of millions of things I'd rather do with $1500 than buy a block of wood with a little bowl on top ; )

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #27 of 162
It's not what people do with their money, it's what want me to do with my money. As an example, I've been extremely interested in the HeadAmp GS-1 based on their work with Gillmore's designs. Small problem, the most quoted review is this one. The same site that tells me that buying a box with a LED in it for $400 is a fabulous deal.

So what exactly does it mean when people who recommended the GS-1 point me there? Same with every conceivable headphone, HD650, Stax, G1000, they're all on there and referenced by people on this site all the time.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #28 of 162
Yeah, I wouldn't consider 6moons reputable at all. From the looks of the couple from 6moons, they appear to be wiccan, or some other beliefs that have alot of "magic" crap surrounding it.

They hardly appear able to make a fair logical and scientific review, and their reviews themselves confirms it.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #30 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I wouldn't consider 6moons reputable at all. From the looks of the couple from 6moons, they appear to be wiccan, or some other beliefs that have alot of "magic" crap surrounding it.

Spot on, my man! I lived in San Francisco for 8 years and was surrounded by Wiccans. It's amazing how uneducated educated people can be
cool.gif
. There were vendors making a mint off of selling polished rocks to doctors and lawyers as "healing stones" or some other such nonsense. I actually really liked San Francisco, but the hippies came pretty close to ruining it for me.

Los Angeles isn't much better, though. My company, in an obvious move to placate aging hipsters searching for the meaning of life, actually has an absence policy in which you can take as many sick days as you want if they are approved by an acupuncturist
blink.gif
. The fact that I have to show up to work while someone else gets to stay home because their "chi" is off just infuriates me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back