Most ridiculous tweak?
Aug 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #151 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, what PC transport is good? Servicable, sure, but GOOD???

Secondly, every cable hater here is talking about how it's all power supply, power supply. What kind of a power supply does a PC have?

This is assinine. I have a gaming rig that is close to $10,000 by Voodoo PC. It's probably one of the best built computers you can get. EVERY part is top of the line. It sounds NOTHING like my main rig.

Yes, good. The purpose of a transport is to get the bits from the CD to your DAC. A computer is excellent at this. Actually, I will go a step further. A computer is designed to do this.

Furthermore, why do you think that all the features in a $10K gaming PC have anything at all to do with this? A Quad-SLI setup or a Quad-core CPU means nothing when it comes to audio.

Also, about power supplies. If you think your power supply is introducing so much noise that it introduces unacceptable errors in a measly 24/96 audio signal, how can you possible trust it to run any other component in your computer? Your CPU is probably running at 2GHz+, and some Bus lanes even faster.

The amount of engineering that goes into your ordinary computer is astronomical. I don't get why people think that a measly digital audio signal is somehow harder then, let's say, a load balancer being fed by a 10Gbps fibre connection.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #152 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, good. The purpose of a transport is to get the bits from the CD to your DAC. A computer is excellent at this. Actually, I will go a step further. A computer is designed to do this.

Furthermore, why do you think that all the features in a $10K gaming PC have anything at all to do with this? A Quad-SLI setup or a Quad-core CPU means nothing when it comes to audio.

Also, about power supplies. If you think your power supply is introducing so much noise that it introduces unacceptable errors in a measly 24/96 audio signal, how can you possible trust it to run any other component in your computer? Your CPU is probably running at 2GHz+, and some Bus lanes even faster.

The amount of engineering that goes into your ordinary computer is astronomical. I don't get why people think that a measly digital audio signal is somehow harder then, let's say, a load balancer being fed by a 10Gbps fibre connection.

Some very good points indeed.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #153 of 162
Quote:

First of all, what PC transport is good? Servicable, sure, but GOOD???

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Quote:

Secondly, every cable hater here is talking about how it's all power supply, power supply. What kind of a power supply does a PC have?

Go to the benchmark forum or even the main benchmark thread here in head-fi.

Quote:

This is assinine. I have a gaming rig that is close to $10,000 by Voodoo PC. It's probably one of the best built computers you can get. EVERY part is top of the line. It sounds NOTHING like my main rig.

What a joke.

Reading your last post, I can no longer take you seriously.

Oh, another thing, re-read Chu's last post. Alteast he seems to know What he's talking about.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #154 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha. Voodoo is FAR from the best. You pay much much more than needed. Build yourself a real computer, like someone who is actually into computers would do, and then speak.

People who refer to their computer performance by price are ridicolous and often don't know the first thing about them, most likely why you bought pre-built.

Voodoo PC's use far from top of the line parts. They use decent parts, but nothing better than a midrange custom machine built to OC/bench.

So you should give up on that argument, since computers are definitely what I know much more than you about.

And computers have much more going for them then most. Use a good quality DAC and play back bit-perfect FLAC files, and you have a great source.

Cool. Could you give me your company's website? I'm always on the lookout for new computers, and it sounds like you have a successful business building them. Can I find ads for your company in the computer magazines? I'm sure you've probably received some great reviews; I'd love to see them.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #155 of 162
Quote:

Cool. Could you give me your company's website? I'm always on the lookout for new computers, and it sounds like you have a successful business building them. Can I find ads for your company in the computer magazines? I'm sure you've probably received some great reviews; I'd love to see them.

Self built computers are MUCH better than pre-built.

When you get into overclocking you get performance you can't buy.

Take a look at www.xtremesystem.org

The people you will find there are much more knowledgeable than any person at voodoo or the likes.

It is where all of the big guys in the industry are.

But, your response shows your ignorance about computers even more.

Don't worry though that you aren't able to build your own computer or mod/overclock it. I've only been doing it since I was 14. Guess thats why you believe in snake oil though.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #156 of 162
Quote:

I honestly can't decide if you're a troll or completely ignorant.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #157 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, your computer is designed to do this AND 25 other things at the same time. Now, I'm not a highly paid computer designer with a successful business that dwarfs Voodoo PC like you guys are, but unless I'm mistaken, there is no modern operating system that is dedicated to only producing music. Well, no operating system other than that in a CD player, but that's besides the point
wink.gif
. Sure, there are computers with multiple CPUs, but you have to have software designed to take advantage of this, and I don't think there is any such software dedicated to playing music. In the absense of this, your operating system is switching back and forth between playing music, checking to make sure the antivirus program is working, sending a signal to the video card, running 15 redundant Microsoft programs, etc. I'm sure that on paper it is possible to do this with no hiccups, but in reality, how many operating systems do you know that don't constantly have issues? They don't issue patches and drivers for no reason. Also, as your system ages and operating systems get more complicated, it's going to get slower. I'll still be listening to my Opus 21 thirty years from now. I guarantee that by that time you will have spent ten times more money keeping up with upgrades than I spent on my CD player.

Maybe it's not important for you to have a perfect reproduction of the music. But it is for me. If you really believe in A/B testing, I don't know why you can't accept that I own a nice computer and a nice stereo and I know for a fact that one sounds better than the other. Do you guys have both, or are you just parroting what others tell you?

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #158 of 162
Quote:

Also, as your system ages and operating systems get more complicated, it's going to get slower

Umm, people can also either stay with the OS that is suitable for their aging hardware or upgrade the hardware to run the more "complicated" OS.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #159 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm, people can also either stay with the OS that is suitable for their aging hardware or upgrade the hardware to run the more "complicated" OS.

That's true, I guess. I don't think most people want to stick with old stuff, though. I loved Windows95, I think it was the most stable version that I've ever run, but it would be a nightmare trying to run that OS right now. Nothing would work.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #162 of 162
Quote:

Now, I'm not a highly paid computer designer with a successful business that dwarfs Voodoo PC like you guys are, but unless I'm mistaken, there is no modern operating system that is dedicated to only producing music.

Actually, this is not strictly true. BeOS was pretty much designed with multimedia in mind. I honestly don't know much more about it then what's on the wiki page, but supposedly a lot of the OSX kernel was based on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back