Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jul 13, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #572 of 1,920
They power the Abyss at loud levels quite easily  :¬)

Wonderful control and range at lower volumes too, something that stood out at me straight away. It's an amazing SS amp!

The background is inky black. If you listen in a quiet room you're really in for a treat.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #573 of 1,920
+1. No issues with the Abyss. Plenty of power for them.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #574 of 1,920
  What genres of music do you listen to? If you were inclined to crank it up, would the Neo be able to run your HE-6's loudly?

Yes - the 430HA can drive the HE6 to deafening levels if that is your thing. Not mine, but it will do it. I run my gain at around 55/60 for the HE6 - it goes up to 80 and you will hit a pain threshold at around 70. 65 is LOUD (to my ears, anyway).

I listen to a wide variety of pop/rock/folks/jazz kind of thing. Mostly vocal-centric.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #575 of 1,920

Yes - the 430HA can drive the HE6 to deafening levels if that is your thing. Not mine, but it will do it. I run my gain at around 55/60 for the HE6 - it goes up to 80 and you will hit a pain threshold at around 70. 65 is LOUD (to my ears, anyway).

I listen to a wide variety of pop/rock/folks/jazz kind of thing. Mostly vocal-centric.

Thats the exact same levels I use on the Abyss, 55-60 / 80.

65 if it's a quieter song (i.e. properly recorded with better dynamic range) and I'm in the mood for serious loudness for a song or two :¬)

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #577 of 1,920

Thats the exact same levels I use on the Abyss, 55-60 / 80.

65 if it's a quieter song (i.e. properly recorded with better dynamic range) and I'm in the mood for serious loudness for a song or two :¬)

I never pushed it beyond that either with the Abyss.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #578 of 1,920
I would love to hear either amp Moon or Headtrip) with the Abyss. My only experience with it, was at Canjam with a salesman from another company talking loud over my left shoulder.

basshead.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #579 of 1,920
  I would love to hear either amp Moon or Headtrip) with the Abyss. My only experience with it, was at Canjam with a salesman from another company talking loud over my left shoulder.

basshead.gif

They are two of the the three best I have heard with the Abyss. The third was the Liquid Gold. Plenty of quality power from all three. Specifically talking about the Abyss, the Headtrip was my favorite with them. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #580 of 1,920
I was fortunate enough to have borrowed demos of the Headtrip and Lau in my setup, and I found that the Headtrip produced cleaner details and the Lau was darker in the bottom end. Slightly more compressed. …and, when driving two difficult headphones at the same time, (HE1000 and HE-6), the Lau ran out of steam and the Headtrip was just getting started.

They are both wonderful amps, but the more expensive Headtrip had a 10% increase in performance. I would love to get the Neo in that matchup to compare.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #581 of 1,920
  I was fortunate enough to have borrowed demos of the Headtrip and Lau in my setup, and I found that the Headtrip produced cleaner details and the Lau was darker in the bottom end. Slightly more compressed. …and, when driving two difficult headphones at the same time, (HE1000 and HE-6), the Lau ran out of steam and the Headtrip was just getting started.

They are both wonderful amps, but the more expensive Headtrip had a 10% increase in performance. I would love to get the Neo in that matchup to compare.

We would never see you again! Truly a lot of top of the mountain headphone awesomeness with that group. The Headtrip is a beast. Jeff produced an top level amp. As you experienced though, each has their particular points. The Neo is in between the other two sonically. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #582 of 1,920
As it is now…I am losing too much sleep listening to music before bed at night. 
smile.gif

When the music is really good, I still hear it in my dreams, like a soundtrack.

My son listens with me while I am playing Mr. DJ, and he keeps saying, "just one more…just one more".
He's got a serious case of "one more-itis"!

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #583 of 1,920
smile.gif

My son listens with me while I am playing Mr. DJ, and he keeps saying, "just one more…just one more".

Kinda like us and the next new audio toy...
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #584 of 1,920
smile.gif

Back when I was a kid I used to love driving with my father. My favourite track he had on the tape player was Everybody Wants To Rule The World. I used to ask him to play it over and over again.

Today it remains a favourite of us both, reminding us of those times.

As I'm sure you are already, savour that wonderful time with your son, you're creating memories :¬)

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #585 of 1,920
^ It is indeed, a precious bonding moment with a teenage son. It's usually so hard to get them to sit in one place
and get them to concentrate seriously on any one thing. When I see him close his eyes and start to sway, I know he's 
got it and it reminds me that he does actually have some of my genes in him 
smile.gif

But…and this is a big but…I warn him to breath it all in, because we will most likely never hear music sound this good at
any times later in our lives. It's all down hill from here unless we come across a windfall of unclaimed money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back