Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jul 2, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #541 of 1,920

The Yggy arrives tomorrow but I'll be leaving it on and untouched until next week, it'll have had 120 hours to warm up by then. A couple of days or so later (after some long listening sessions) I'll offer some feedback.

I've compared the Ragnarok, by the way. It was paired with the Hugo. I detested the sound; harsh, clinical and soulless. The 430 HAD in comparison is musical (still revealing), and coherent. Far more engaging and goosebump generating. For what it's worth, I favour the LCD-3F over the LCD-X. That's usually a good simple indicator of sound preference :¬)

The convenience of this 430HAD is off the charts (also using it as a pre-amp with KEF LS50s and Burson Timekeeper). One box that does it all. Can't wait to put the DAC up against the Yggy.

Side note: I love your avatar :¬)

I notice you keep saying how much you didn't like the Ragnarok when paired with a dac you hate...  I guess if you hate the dac, you can't really properly judge the Rag... Maybe Yggy + Rag = Awesome, but for you Hugo + anything = yuck, so maybe the Rag is actually quite good, it just couldn't undo what the hugo has done...  Maybe...

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #542 of 1,920

I notice you keep saying how much you didn't like the Ragnarok when paired with a dac you hate...  I guess if you hate the dac, you can't really properly judge the Rag... Maybe Yggy + Rag = Awesome, but for you Hugo + anything = yuck, so maybe the Rag is actually quite good, it just couldn't undo what the hugo has done...  Maybe...

Absolutely, that's why I always state it was with the Hugo.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #543 of 1,920
Yggy is here.

It's incredibly easy to A/B it with the internal DAC (less than one second to swap audio over), so I've been testing a bit this morning, swapping back and forth during songs, and also critically listening to 5 second passages of audio to compare specific qualities.

As it stands, I would fail miserably at a blind A/B test. While certainly no badge of authority, I'm one task from completing the Philips Golden Ears test, so I'm not tone deaf :¬)

Will test again after 150 hours Yggy warm up time.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #544 of 1,920
  Yggy is here.

It's incredibly easy to A/B it with the internal DAC (less than one second to swap audio over), so I've been testing a bit this morning, swapping back and forth during songs, and also critically listening to 5 second passages of audio to compare specific qualities.

As it stands, I would fail miserably at a blind A/B test. While certainly no badge of authority, I'm one task from completing the Philips Golden Ears test, so I'm not tone deaf :¬)

So far what - no difference at all?

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #545 of 1,920

So far what - no difference at all?

The Yggy does seem to have slightly sharper edges, as they say. I've not given it too much time so I'm not ready to go into specific detail, I'll do that after the 150 hour warm up. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #546 of 1,920

The Yggy arrives tomorrow but I'll be leaving it on and untouched until next week, it'll have had 120 hours to warm up by then. A couple of days or so later (after some long listening sessions) I'll offer some feedback.

I've compared the Ragnarok, by the way. It was paired with the Hugo. I detested the sound; harsh, clinical and soulless. The 430 HAD in comparison is musical (still revealing), and coherent. Far more engaging and goosebump generating. For what it's worth, I favour the LCD-3F over the LCD-X. That's usually a good simple indicator of sound preference :¬)

The convenience of this 430HAD is off the charts (also using it as a pre-amp with KEF LS50s and Burson Timekeeper). One box that does it all. Can't wait to put the DAC up against the Yggy.

Side note: I love your avatar :¬)

Thanks for the feedback and avatar compliment.  I also preferred the LCD-3F to the X, but when I tried them, it was off my old Concero HP which I don't think had enough current to drive it properly.  But for me, the HD800 is still my top choice personally.  It is a tough choice for me deciding to go back to solid state or not.  My previous solid state amp and still most preferred of ones I've heard, is the Burson Soloist.  But the Super 7 easily outclassed it for my tastes.  Now I think I'm addicted to the sound of quality tube amps (like Eddie Current) and I'm skeptical if there is a solid state amp that can do it for me.  

I should note that I don't necessarily prefer a "warm and romantic" sound of tubes, but rather the holographic sense of soundstage they can bring with the HD800 in particular.  My modded Super 7 is exceptionally fast and clean for a tube amp being solid state rectified, and with the upgraded caps.  Still, the 430HA does interest me, even if the price does put it in tough company like the Liquid Glass, and higher end EC amps.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #547 of 1,920
  Yggy is here.

That's what my wallet wanted to hear

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #548 of 1,920
Slightly warm SS amp with low bandwidth,sounds like V281..... did anybody heard both? Comparsion between these two I would be very thankfull

this,new mcintoch and upcomming pass labs headphone amp are kinda in same category in my eyes,a high end speaker amp makers doing head amps

edit : ooops I meant Mcintosh not Macintosh :D ( facepalm )

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #549 of 1,920

That's what my wallet wanted to hear

The 430HAD is plugged directly into my (very powerful) hackintosh using the iFi iPOWER (with Gemini cable), itself powered by a linear power supply.

The Yggy is connected to the SMS-100 music server - removing a PC/Mac from the audio chain entirely.

Making it an even better accomplishment by the onboard DAC. There is a lot to be said for one box solutions.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #550 of 1,920
Yggy is here.

That being the case it may be best to return it if you can. I doubt it will do much more for you at 150 hours.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #551 of 1,920
Like I said in the review, we are reaching a limit for detail. I am always up for amazing new gear. But the quality the Moon DAC unit provides at its price is top end.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #552 of 1,920
  Like I said in the review, we are reaching a limit for detail. I am always up for amazing new gear. But the quality the Moon DAC unit provides at its price is top end.

The internal Moon DAC is ridiculous value for money. An extra £600 over the non DAC version. Less than half of the Hugo price, and annihilates it sonically :¬)

@negura - it will be going back, unless it has changed somewhat when I return after this weekend away.

I'm going to invest in a tube setup, Egoista 845 and perhaps the Numerico or TotalDAC if I can get a home audition. I'll make sure I have a Yggy at hand to test with another amp.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #553 of 1,920

The internal Moon DAC is ridiculous value for money. An extra £600 over the non DAC version. Less than half of the Hugo price, and annihilates it sonically :¬)

@negura - it will be going back, unless it has changed somewhat when I return after this weekend away.

I'm going to invest in a tube setup, Egoista 845 and perhaps the Numerico or TotalDAC if I can get a home audition. I'll make sure I have a Yggy at hand to test with another amp.

I would encourage you to consider the ALO Audio Studio Six for a tube amp option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back