Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,906 of 8,051
I don't like the thought of gluing down new pads (especially if they cost $80) can you just use the left over sticky residue and press them on? Even it works for a short period until printed mods come around? I might just use adhesive pads, since then I can just peal them off.

The audeze pad comes with a double sided cut out ring adhesive to make it easy

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,909 of 8,051
I don't like the thought of gluing down new pads (especially if they cost $80) can you just use the left over sticky residue and press them on? Even it works for a short period until printed mods come around? I might just use adhesive pads, since then I can just peal them off.

Ah yeah, I've had good luck with that cheap scotch double sided tape (not the foam type) for temporary stuff

Edit: oh nice, saw your reply a few posts back

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,910 of 8,051
for those that need to try the tweezers pinch method, I wasn't able to find any tweezers (within household at least) to do it, so i just used a tooth pick and applied (light) pressure like this             ---> (  ) <---  and my problem went away both sides!!!!!!!!!! i'm so happy now. praying the wood doesn't crack. i think maybe if you have a mechanical pencil with the metal tip may work as well. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,912 of 8,051
  I'm literally spamming refresh on fedEx to see when I get mine, should be today!!! 
So excited!!!

Careful. FedEx has AI algorithms that detect that, then send alerts to the drivers to delay the delivery

:)

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,913 of 8,051
I have already seen some mention of this in the thread.  But, here is more talk about the Tidal Force headphones that seem to share the same DNA.  Or something like that :D

http://www.avsforum.com/tidal-force-debut-premium-hdmi-cables-wave-5-planar-magnetic-headphones/

I still have my M560.  As soon as the M1060 was on sale, I had it in my cart.  Just could not do it.  Now I wish I had, darn it.  Sounds like the M1060 may have been worth it.  But my experience with the M560 is why I was hesitant.  It was just too darn bright for my ears.  Even with a tube amp, and even after hours and hours of break-in.  

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,914 of 8,051

I wanted to chime in as the PM-3 comparison is exactly what I was looking at and in the end the 1060's went back. The 1060's and the PM-3s sound very similar when doing A/B over several days. I wasn't impressed the the soundstage on the 1060 from the moment I put it on and it only slightly improved over the PM-3 depending on recording and amp. The biggest difference in sound was lower mid, to upper base that was just missing on the 1060's. The highs were better on the 1060 as the PM-3 sounds like the highs are rolled off. 
    My first comments on the PM-3 was that the bass was lacking and I say that about the 1060's but over burn in the bass came in much better on both and in the end the extension and feel on both were very similar, a planar bass.
    I was also comparing with the Sennheiser HD700 that I was hoping the 1060 would replace. That also showed me that Sennheiser has got the whole "Sound stage" thing down. It's Large, accurate though somewhat 2 dimensional but better than 1060. Funny enough both have high peaks in similar spots though the 1060's are a little more sparkly. And the HD700s have a dip in the upper mids, to lower highs, hence why I was looking to replace.
    But I think it was the build quality that did it. I tend to keep my stuff in good shape over long periods of time and I don't feel like the 1060 will hold up over time. In ten years I felt like the 1060's would have shaken apart. Picking up an putting on the HD700s or PM-3s was a much more satisfying experience with a better overall fit. The 1060's are massive and a little unwieldy but once on they did seem to disappear. 
    And getting these LZ A4s in the mail from Massdrop made it all good. They sound fantastic. And also have mmcx connectors that I'm not even going to compare to the 1060s.

So comparing to HD700, which has better holographic sound and which one has better separation and details? Thanks

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,915 of 8,051

So comparing to HD700, which has better holographic sound and which one has better separation and details? Thanks

I'm interested in this as well. HD 700s are ridiculously cheap right now--$419  from multiple reputable dealers. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,916 of 8,051
Has anybody mentioned on how the grills on these things are like razor blades? I keep forgetting about it and when I go to grab them I get small cuts on my hands. No blood yet, yet my skin is broken in many places on my figures and hands. I'm 99% sure with all these build issues that everything except the drivers were rushed.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,917 of 8,051
Has anybody mentioned on how the grills on these things are like razor blades? I keep forgetting about it and when I go to grab them I get small cuts on my hands. No blood yet, yet my skin is broken in many places on my figures and hands. I'm 99% sure with all these build issues that everything except the drivers were rushed.

Been mentioned many times early on, but not anyone with "small cuts". Dang !!!

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,918 of 8,051

I'm interested in this as well. HD 700s are ridiculously cheap right now--$419  from multiple reputable dealers. 

I will let you guys know when I get my 1060 today. The HD 700 has great imaging and seperation but lacks some body compared to high end planars.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,919 of 8,051
  I have already seen some mention of this in the thread.  But, here is more talk about the Tidal Force headphones that seem to share the same DNA.  Or something like that :D

http://www.avsforum.com/tidal-force-debut-premium-hdmi-cables-wave-5-planar-magnetic-headphones/

I still have my M560.  As soon as the M1060 was on sale, I had it in my cart.  Just could not do it.  Now I wish I had, darn it.  Sounds like the M1060 may have been worth it.  But my experience with the M560 is why I was hesitant.  It was just too darn bright for my ears.  Even with a tube amp, and even after hours and hours of break-in.  

This was my exact experience.. Along with some "thinness" to the sound and a somewhat lacking low end, the brightness is my main complaint with these.

Even today, I just got my new O2+ODAC combo in and while proper amping has helped with the sound for me (having only been running it out of my laptop and Sony A17+Fiio A3 before), the changes were not all that drastic.

Improved bass response and a slightly better "fullness" to the sound were the main benefits, but I found myself having to turn them down to avoid some rather bright highs. I've broken them in for hours as well, but it's not enough.

Although my opinion has improved on the M560s now that I've tested them with some more power, they're still not for me. In the end I'm still going to give them to my girlfriend because she likes them a lot.

One way to describe the M560s for me is how I described them to her earlier today:

"They're like a movie that you get hyped up for because of the trailers and the cover art, but when you finally see it in theatre, it's just not as good as you expected. You probably don't feel like you outright wasted your money, because you did still enjoy the experience, but you feel like you could have spent it better elsewhere and come away happier."

The build? Superb. The efficiency? Really good. The sound? ....Notttt quite there imo.

As a side note, one of the songs I tested today with the new amp and the M560s (and my T40RP MK3's that I'm deciding if I want to keep) was Glass Animals' 'Flip' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BPPSoo0A7c).

The bass in this song is simply fantastic, and while the M560s got a bit more ummmph to them with the O2+ODAC, they could not compete at all with the T40RPs. With all the reports coming in about the M1060's bass response, I want to hear this track on those now
mad.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,920 of 8,051
This was my exact experience.. Along with some "thinness" to the sound and a somewhat lacking low end, the brightness is my main complaint with these.

Even today, I just got my new O2+ODAC combo in and while proper amping has helped with the sound for me (having only been running it out of my laptop and Sony A17+Fiio A3 before), the changes were not all that drastic.

Improved bass response and a slightly better "fullness" to the sound were the main benefits, but I found myself having to turn them down to avoid some rather bright highs. I've broken them in for hours as well, but it's not enough.

Although my opinion has improved on the M560s now that I've tested them with some more power, they're still not for me. In the end I'm still going to give them to my girlfriend because she likes them a lot.

One way to describe the M560s for me is how I described them to her earlier today:

"They're like a movie that you get hyped up for because of the trailers and the cover art, but when you finally see it in theatre, it's just not as good as you expected. You probably don't feel like you outright wasted your money, because you did still enjoy the experience, but you feel like you could have spent it better elsewhere and come away happier."

The build? Superb. The efficiency? Really good. The sound? ....Notttt quite there imo.

As a side note, one of the songs I tested today with the new amp and the M560s (and my T40RP MK3's that I'm deciding if I want to keep) was Glass Animals' 'Flip' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BPPSoo0A7c).

The bass in this song is simply fantastic, and while the M560s got a bit more ummmph to them with the O2+ODAC, they could not compete at all with the T40RPs. With all the reports coming in about the M1060's bass response, I want to hear this track on those now :mad:

The O2 and O dac make for a rather neutral/ bright pairing and since you said the m560 sounds bright it might not be the right synergy for you. Have you tried it with warmer amps or tube amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back