Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #1,291 of 3,105
Mod House is way too young to even consider a sell out and I highly doubt, Ryan has that on his mind as a future plan. I am pretty convinced that he is visualising a ZMF-like future. It only makes that notion stronger if you remember they are friends with Zach.
The Sony/Audeze deal was on a much higher scale. Ryan has years ahead to build his business and the start could not have been more promising and successful.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #1,292 of 3,105
The problem is that if he hires people that already know how to do what he does, they're gonna charge for it and that it's going to increase the cost of the headphone, if he grabs people that don't have a lot of experience with what he needs help with, he may not need to increase the cost of the headphones but he needs time to train these new apprentices, so there's really no good solutions here, is either time or money or both.
I made this very point much earlier on in this thread when talk about waiting initially came up. The more people he hires the more accessories he offers the more finishes he displays the more variants he supplies will vastly increase the overall cost. Remember, you will never see this price again. The new model whenever that arrives will commence at above 2K for the base model. Buy now, be patient and you will be rewarded...........................and don't bother him with emails.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #1,293 of 3,105
Hi, do guys think Flux FA-22 would drive them or look for something stronger?
1705490054124.png

Flux FA-22

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #1,295 of 3,105
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #1,300 of 3,105
Gonna have to look elsewhere then, save my dime for the Tungsten, figure out how to drive them after I place my order... :wink:
I'm hoping somebody releases some new amps designed with driving the Tungstens in mind while I wait for mine..
Does anyone know what the color of these grills is? I am hoping to order a SS version with this grill color / material / etc. Can't tell if it's wood or just a wood-like color paint.

Pretty sure it is wood. I thought about it but I passed because the wood grills are very thin and fragile. You push it a bit and it can easily collapse in.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #1,301 of 3,105
I'm hoping somebody releases some new amps designed with driving the Tungstens in mind while I wait for mine..

Pretty sure it is wood. I thought about it but I passed because the wood grills are very thin and fragile. You push it a bit and it can easily collapse in.
I think that happened to Zeos in his video of the demo product and it only happened because that particular wood grill had not been "reinforced" which is fixed in the production version. At least that's what I understood about it. I wonder if Ryan still offers the wood grill as an option.

@Tulon would you be able to confirm if the wood grills are still being offered and if so.. is there any concern about them breaking easily? (I can't imagine that this would be the case but safer to ask). Also, what is this option called if I want to request it on my personal order (if it is possible to still order this style of grill).

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #1,302 of 3,105
I think that happened to Zeos in his video of the demo product and it only happened because that particular wood grill had not been "reinforced" which is fixed in the production version. At least that's what I understood about it. I wonder if Ryan still offers the wood grill as an option.

@Tulon would you be able to confirm if the wood grills are still being offered and if so.. is there any concern about them breaking easily? (I can't imagine that this would be the case but safer to ask). Also, what is this option called if I want to request it on my personal order (if it is possible to still order this style of grill).

Thanks!
Hmm I'm actually not sure if the wood is still being offered. I thought it noted on the product page that you could pick from a selection of wooden grills and that they weren't as durable as the Cerakote aluminum grills but it seems to no longer have any mention of wooden grills. Probably takes too long compared to the standard grills + paint job.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #1,303 of 3,105
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #1,304 of 3,105
He seems like he wants to do his own thing. At some point if the demand gets big enough, he'll probably start scaling his business and hire some people to help him out to keep up with the demand.
Yeah, he's got ZMF & Viking Weave collaborating with him, showing real support from within the community. He just needs to sell/produce enough units to reinvest in infrastructure and personnel and he'll be off to the races.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #1,305 of 3,105
Nice review by Resolve. What i learned: This headphone is an allrounder. For the people that don't have a collection / are searching for only a single headphone to use, this seems to be perfect. For me, the review did sound like there was nothing new or groundbreaking in terms of sound what you can't get in a better way with multiple different other cans. Of course price plays also a role here (though you need a good amp for it), so i can fully understand the hype.
That being said, i no longer want to go out of my way to own the Tungsten. If i get the opportunity, sure, but the only truly "groundbreaking" thing is the very balanced tonality combined with the comparatively low price point to other TOTL's.
For me personally, i'd chase the 3-5 "coloured" headphones which make certain genres (or what i'm in the mood for) sound "the best" rather than one allrounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back