Missed out on an RSA Tomahawk :-(
Mar 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #16 of 34
I got my used Tomahawk from the classified section of head-fi a couple of months ago. After having this item for the short time so far I would suggest holding out for the item you really want. I think if you get something as a consolation to what you really want (within budget) you will only end up spending more by upgrading later. Out of all the RSA amps I think the Tomahawk is the one I see most commonly in the classified section. Patience is the key.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 34
For ES7s? What? Sell them and buy ES9s rather than buy an amp, seriously.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. I bought that Tomahawk from Todd.

pwnd !

Youre evil, youre evil, youre evil !!!

So how do you like the Tomahawk?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 34
It's a very nice amp, but I just sold it to Nick from the UK. I am anxiously waiting for my S:Flo2, and I felt even paired with my 8GB Zune with WMA lossless, carrying an amp was a little over kill as the sound improvement to my ears was very slightly noticeable, but enough to live without and still listen happy.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 34
ES7 is definitely not something I'd buy a tomahawk for alone (the differences have been marginal in pretty much every amp I've tried, from low to mid/high end amps), so I personally wouldn't be sorry that you missed out, but my condolences for your frustration of missing out on it.
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 34
ES7 retails for like 60-70 doesnt it? The tomahawk used goes for 150-250 in the FS forums here. It would make more sense to get better phones first before getting an amp :p

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

It's a very nice amp, but I just sold it to Nick from the UK. I am anxiously waiting for my S:Flo2, and I felt even paired with my 8GB Zune with WMA lossless, carrying an amp was a little over kill as the sound improvement to my ears was very slightly noticeable, but enough to live without and still listen happy.

Oh,...so not only do you buy it before he can snatch it,...but you sell it to somebody else besides...lol

EVIL !!!!!
ph34r.gif

ksc75smile.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 34
Anybody interested in one for $200, $6 shipping? If so, I'll post it up in the F/S section first come first serve as usual. Excellent condition, only thing I really use it for is to drive my phones when using the JVC 5.1 surround unit (aka, it sits in front of my bedroom TV, never left that spot).

Basically, if there's a interest for it, I'll list it on Amazon. If not, I won't bother with it.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Yeah nice going dude.
Flipping is against the rules on Head-Fi, but whatever.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For ES7s? What? Sell them and buy ES9s rather than buy an amp, seriously.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like my ES7. I think they have really good bass definition, and they are nicely isolating.

I can't bear in ear phones, so it has to be cans...

I may upgrade, but I wanted to get the amp first.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by grifforama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah nice going dude.
Flipping is against the rules on Head-Fi, but whatever.

Doing it once isnt flipping.
Flipping is buying numerous items regularly and getting them cheap, then jacking the prices to make a profit, like a business.

Plus i was just teasing him, so dont everyone go jumping on him or anything!!!

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by grifforama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my ES7. I think they have really good bass definition, and they are nicely isolating.

I can't bear in ear phones, so it has to be cans...

I may upgrade, but I wanted to get the amp first.

Seriously though, you're wasting your money buying an amp for such cheap cans. If you spent the money on an ESW9 you'd get a much bigger improvement, whereas with an amp, you might get more bass, but it will be putting lipstick on pig, so to speak.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #29 of 34
Headphones are surely the biggest upgrade, Currawong is right about that.
I buy portable amps because i like them, and i collect them because i am just a gadget freek...lol.

Most portable phones do not need an amp at all. Sometimes you get a slight improvement, but if i threw $200-400 into better phones instead, id get a much bigger improvement than putting an amp on my $50 portable phones.

Worse is these guys with a $200 amp, an Ipod, $100 IEMs and a $200 cryo cable!!!!

The stupid cable costs as much as any piece of equipment in the chain and does the least!!!

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones are surely the biggest upgrade, Currawong is right about that.
I buy portable amps because i like them, and i collect them because i am just a gadget freek...lol.

Most portable phones do not need an amp at all. Sometimes you get a slight improvement, but if i threw $200-400 into better phones instead, id get a much bigger improvement than putting an amp on my $50 portable phones.

Worse is these guys with a $200 amp, an Ipod, $100 IEMs and a $200 cryo cable!!!!

The stupid cable costs as much as any piece of equipment in the chain and does the least!!!

I think he's talking about me.

Amp--300
IEMs--250-350
Imod--450 or so
Cable--195

Then "saw the light" and sold iMod and 195 cable and bought an iPod 80gig Classic for about 200 and two WHiplash cables for 70 each--one silver and one copper--sold the IEMs for a very nice 150 set of Etys.

Still thoroughly enjoying the sonic qualitites without spending all the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back