Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]
Oct 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 211
Quote:
Let's hope 3x is charm! :p
Craig, great to hear about the UE6ks. I'm getting more and more interested in this hp. Would you say drums, vocals and strings sound natural and realistic to your ears?

Yes, but it is smooth as opposed to fast, analytical and detailed, so there may be better options for drums and strings.  I absolutely love vocals on these- struck me as similar to M80.

P.S.  Glad we are all playing nice again :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #33 of 211
Quote:
Yes, but it is smooth as opposed to fast, analytical and detailed, so there may be better options for drums and strings.  I absolutely love vocals on these- struck me as similar to M80.

I prefer detailed and accurate, especially cymbals. I just hope I can add to this alot of (tight and punchy) mid and sub bass too (AKG K267 Tiesto's? :p)

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #35 of 211
Regarding the ATH-WS99, my big concern with these is the "new" driver is the suspiciously odd size of 53mm which coincidentally is the same size as the ATH-PRO700MK2 driver, so my obvious concern would be using the same driver.  While the bass from that driver is like Mike Tyson in his prime punching me in the side of the head, I find them too dark, too the point that even with EQ I can't bring out the highs enough.  Has anyone confirmed if this is a new driver?  We had the same speculation with Momentum regarding rehashing the HD25 driver yet again, but did confirm it is a new driver, so I am hoping that is the case here.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #36 of 211
Quote:
Eh I never had issues with you Craig. Glad you're enjoying your new cans and I'll be looking forward to your M-100 impressions!

Me too, but I got a "feeling" on the AKG K267 Tiesto's ; )

The Ultrasone Signature DJ are out of my rang€.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #38 of 211
Still no M-100 SQ review?
confused.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #39 of 211
Quote:
Still no M-100 SQ review?
confused.gif

No, but the few small crumbs of anecdotes and tidbits have been promising.  Preorders will start arriving today for the geographically fortunate, so we should be flooded with impressions over the next few days.  Mine arrive Thursday which I expected being on the East coast.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 211
Do we know a mass production release date for the M-100s? I feel like the K267 Tiestos and the M-100s are the top 2.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #42 of 211
UE6000 vs. M-100

Since several have been asking and I am an impatient creature by nature, here is a comparison between the M-100 and UE6000 (passive mode) with the winner in each category listed.  If I felt any other headphone I have auditioned or owned in the past 6 months was in a league with either of these, they would have been included as well (I will give an honorable mention shout out to the PSB M4U2), so let me state up front that after an extensive headphone search, I am thrilled to find two fantastic, standout headphones and that, if your budget allows, I recommend owning both.  However, if you must choose one, here is my feedback, IMHO, to hopefully help assist with your decision:

Comfort- UE6000  Although heavier and larger, the UE6000 has less clamping force and, more importantly for me larger, deeper, plusher cups that fit around my ears better.  I could wear these for hours.  After an hour or so, I felt some discomfort with the M-100.

Build/appearance- M-100 The industrial design and innovative hinges of the M-100 are a thing of beauty.  I enjoy just looking at my white M-100s and will be adding my blue shields shortly.  The UE6000 is not an ugly headphone.  It looks to me like a copy of the Denon D600 design which I think is fine, but nothing special.  Regarding build quality, no comparison.  M-100 is a solid piece of electronic machinery complete with riveted stainless steel.  The UE6000 seems to have a sturdy headband, but I worry about the cheap plastic cups and battery compartment.

Bass- I have to call this a draw. UE6000 bass seems deeper and more authoritative.  M-100 bass is also deep and authoritative, yet also tighter and I feel the drivers pushing air at high volume with bass boost.

Mids- M-100 Both provide excellent mids.  Compared to other headphones I have heard (not top-tier summit-fi) Detail/resolution in the UE6000 is an 8 out of 10; M-100 is a 9 out of 10.

Highs- M-100 The UE6000 has highs I would consider very close to neutral.  This works extremely well with current popular music that seems to have a treble emphasis, smoothing out those highs and providing a highly pleasurable listening experience that is by no means dark and can even sparkle somewhat.  The M-100 fills in the small bit of rolloff that is missing from the UE6000 and smoothly extends the highs almost to brightness with absolutely no harshness- quite an accomplishment.

Overall sound- This is really a close call for me.  I initially purchased the UE6000 as something to hold me over until the M-100 came out and it turned out to be much more than I expected.  I expect to continue to listen to both headphones and have no intention of returning either, which is saying something because I have returned several headphones in the past few months while waiting for the release of the M-100 including: M-Audio Q40, Audio Technica ATH_PRO700MK2, Sennheiser Amperior, Denon D600, Denon D400 and Sennheiser Momentum.  I have also auditioned dozens more.  All of these returns were based on sonic flaws I felt were dealbreakers, so you could say I consider the M-100 and UE6000 as close to the perfect headphone for me that I have found.

Both present bass in a way that is exciting, enjoyable and adds to the rest of the frequency range.  Both have clean, accurate mids.  Both have enjoyable silky smooth highs.  In the end, I must give a slight edge to the M-100 based on the silky-smooth extended highs that are incredibly detailed.  If I can compare the M-100 to any other headphone on the market, it would be an Ultrasone Signature Pro and I would actually say the M-100 is superior.  While there is slightly less resolution than the Sig Pro, the M-100s highs are much smoother with zero sibilance and the M-100 has a superior bass presentation to the Sig Pro.  Somehow, V-Moda managed to engineer a headphone that I believe can truly sound amazing with every genre.

I congratulate both companies on developing amazing products and look forward to enjoying both for years to come.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #44 of 211
Thx for the review Craigster! I've been following your headphone quest because it seems to me that we are looking for the same characteristics in headphones.

I'm happy to hear that the M-100 sound as good as they look. Seeing as it's very similar to the U6000 according to you, I would prefer the M-100 based on looks and the fact that I don't want noise cancellation.

Before pulling the trigger, though, I'll wait for the AKG Tiesto.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #45 of 211
Quote:
Thx for the review Craigster! I've been following your headphone quest because it seems to me that we are looking for the same characteristics in headphones.

I'm happy to hear that the M-100 sound as good as they look. Seeing as it's very similar to the U6000 according to you, I would prefer the M-100 based on looks and the fact that I don't want noise cancellation.

Before pulling the trigger, though, I'll wait for the AKG Tiesto.

Makes sense to know all your options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back