Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]
Oct 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 211

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus

>INTRODUCTION<

So, as many of you know and are discussing, quite a few of the big name - and small name - brands are releasing $200 - $600 closed portable headphones. What's more, is they've all launched within the past 3.5 months, or are launching within the next two weeks. (Based on current info) So - seeing as this rarely ever happens in a higher-up category of headphones like this, we need to manage & compare this large influx of possible winners, and decide what headphone is best for what use, and which should not be talked about ever again - ever. 
 ​
For Clarification: For the purpose of this thread, Mid-Fi is considered any $200 - $600 headphone where the sound quality is considered good or great for the price paid. 
Sub-$200 cans may be Mid-Fi if SQ is high enough, and $600+ cans may be Mid-Fi if SQ is low enough. It all depends on the value.
 ​

>MAIN GOAL<

Through the use of this thread, and the active & helpful users of Head-Fi, I'd like this thread to the center of discussion and comparison between all of these exciting new headphones, so that it will be easier for both veterans of the site and 'noobs' to find what they need within this price bracket. Knowing that there are simply too many headphones coming out in this wave for one person to give an opinion on... ​
 ​
...I'd like everyone who comes into possession of any one or more of the headphones below to come forward and:
 ​
Give impressions, images, reviews..​
... answer questions, provide support..​
... and overall - just be an awesome head-fi'er.​

>HEADPHONES<

These have been released or will be released within the past 3.5 months or next 2 weeks. All are closed headphones with at least a minimum focus on portability.​
 ​
(There will be no more additions to this thread or poll - other headphones can be mentioned in posts, but I will not be updating this post again. Thank you for those who contributed to this final list.)
 ​

From AKG:

AKG K167 Tiesto​
AKG K267 Tiesto​
 ​

From Audio Technica:

Audio Technica ATH-WS99​
 ​

From DENON:

DENON AH-D400​
DENON AH-D600​
 ​

From Logitech:

Ultimate Ears 6000 (W) & 9000 (W+BT)​
 ​

From PSB:

PSB M4U 1 & 2​
 ​

From Sennheiser:

Sennheiser MOMENTUM (Jude's Review)​
 ​

From SONY:

SONY MDR-1R Series (1R/BT/NC) (Jude's Images)​
SONY XB900​
 ​

From Velodyne:

Velodyne vTrue​
Velodyne vFree​
 ​

From V-MODA:

V-MODA M-100​
 ​

From YAMAHA:

YAMAHA Pro Series (400/500)​
 ​

>HOW TO USE THE POLL<

Poll closed until all headphones have begun shipping. (Estimated: Mid December)
 ​
The purpose of the poll should be clear from the question, but for those who do not know what to vote for, just know that it's a very broad poll, to show which headphone generates the most sales based on reviews, listening sessions, word of mouth, and more Please use the thread for interest, and the poll for actual sales and demos.. 

DO NOT Check a headphone on the poll if...

... that headphone is high on your "to buy" list.
... that headphone "sound" great in other opinions - aka: from reading the reviews on it. (FWYR)

Use the comments for this!

DO Check a headphone on the poll if...

... that headphone sounds great in your opinion from your own personal listening(FWYH)
... or you have bought and/or enjoyed that headphone.

Checking multiple headphones is allowed, so vote for any that fit the above definitions.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 211
Let's see if this time this is the real final thread... 
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 211
I don't understand, is this poll suppose to let people vote for what they think will be the best based on looks? Or people's perception of people's impression, or hype?

where the sound quality is considered good or great for the price paid

How can people already vote for headphones they have never heard?

I was hoping that once impressions were out for all of the headphones on the list, people could read them and comment on which sounded like it was the best.

Since the entire point is to compare headphones, the end result would usually lead to the person buying the one they felt came out on top, right? I wouldn't mind the poll being used to see which one users picked in the end, that would still help in its own way.

Please clarify the purpose of the poll.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 211
The purpose of the poll should be clear from the question, but it's a very broad poll, to show which headphone generates the most interest/sales.

Do not check a headphone on the poll if...
  1. ... that headphone is high on your "to buy" list.
  2. ... that headphone sounds great in your opinion from reading the reviews on it. (FWYR)
Use the thread and posts to mention your interest.

Please check a headphone on the poll if...
  1. ... that headphone sounds great in your opinion from your own personal listening. (FWYH)
  2. ... or you have bought and/or enjoyed that headphone.

Again, it's a general poll, and it's not meant to be taken overly seriously. I will add the above description to the first post to clear some confusion.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 211
Can you maybe disable and delete the poll until all the headphones are released?

On another topic, man I like Yamaha products, but those look like blatant Beats ripoffs. I can't imagine them sounding better.

The Velodyne have hideous design and color scheme.​

I know I prefer sound over looks, but dang, I have little faith if that little thought was put into the design.​

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 211
I could disable the poll - but it would only be until late next week, or early the week after, seeing as the AKG K267, M-100, Velodyne, and Yamaha will all be shipping around that time.

Do you want me to disable it until we have confirmed shipping/receiving of all headphones?

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 211

Quote:

Check a headphone on the poll if...
  1. ... that headphone is high on your "to buy" list.
  2. ... that headphone sounds great in your opinion from reading the reviews on it. (FWYR)

1. ... that headphone sounds great in your opinion from your own personal listening. (FWYH)
  2. ... or you have bought and/or enjoyed that headphone.

Now that you have disabled the poll, may I know which group of options you want to fulfil for this poll? Top 2 together, and bottom 2 together. You see, the top 2 will usually evolve when people read more, and when more reviews come. The 2nd group is more deterministic. Both are subjective for people using it as a guide. For example, one think that the Momentum is too bassy, another thinks it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back