MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jun 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,846 of 2,609
Will this amp drive the new HE 1000 with enough power to appreciate.its full potential?. Many other tube amps are not powerful enough.

It is a unique topology, so yes!
I bought my MicroZOTL2 specifically for my HE-1000 headphones, after listening to the pairing at a local meet. It is powerful enough.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,847 of 2,609
Will this amp drive the new HE 1000 with enough power to appreciate.its full potential?. Many other tube amps are not powerful enough.

It drives them well, great soundstage and imaging. It does an excellent job with the HE1000. 

Wow, listening to Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Paavo Jarvi. . . great dynamics, soundstage, raises the hair on the back of your neck. Fun stuff!! The MZ2 and the Pioneer SE-Master1. Fun. Whiplash 8 braid to the headphones, special silver IC from the Hugo to the MZ2 and National Union round plate tubes 6F8G. Go to go now.

Now with the HE1000. Beautiful open sound. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,848 of 2,609
I am running 2 Sylvania 6J5 round black plate from metal base early 1940 per channel instead of 6SN7, using an adapter. The 6J5 is like one half of a 6SN7. I also have adapters to use the 76 tube, a single triode, which is an excellent tube. I have those in RCA round black plate, the best IMO. No, these are not exactly the same but for me, close enough to have fun with. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,849 of 2,609
I am running 2 Sylvania 6J5 round black plate from metal base early 1940 per channel instead of 6SN7, using an adapter. The 6J5 is like one half of a 6SN7. I also have adapters to use the 76 tube, a single triode, which is an excellent tube. I have those in RCA round black plate, the best IMO. 

And????..........

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,850 of 2,609
And????..........

Well the 6J5 adapters need to burn in but I got anxious and wanted to listen to my favorite tube, besides the 27 mesh plate. The sound is excellent, very open and transparent with the RCA 76. I was hearing some sounds in the mid range and hit pause because I thought it might be in the tubes, as in tube noise but it was/is the music, one song so these are very resolving. They aren't bumping the mids because the highs and low end are there as well. But they need time as the adapters and the NOS tubes that I have had for years, need some time. The 76 tubes are the coke bottle shape and to accommodate the size I had to flex the sides of the MZ2 some. No big deal. 

I have 2 76 tubes that are mesh plate, very, very rare but only 2 and I haven't seen any others in years. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #1,851 of 2,609
Could someone tell me if the fuse in the microzotl is a fast or slow blow?  I'm afraid I grabbed the wrong tubes earlier tonight and blew the fuse so I thought I might ask if ya'll might have any advice on different fuses.  I noticed some talk about different fuses changing the SQ and since I'm going to change it out, I may as well try a new type of fuse and see it it makes a difference.  Recommendations are welcome.
I received the Zotl last week and have been completely blown away by the clarity and sound stage this little thing puts out with just the stock tubes.  It really shines with HE1000 and Fostex th-x00. 
I ordered some Amperex 7062's that should be here next week and any other tube recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I listen mostly to jazz and classical and the microzotl really does great with both genres.
I'm happy to be here and looking forward to gaining some tube knowledge from ya'll.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,852 of 2,609
  Could someone tell me if the fuse in the microzotl is a fast or slow blow?  I'm afraid I grabbed the wrong tubes earlier tonight and blew the fuse so I thought I might ask if ya'll might have any advice on different fuses.  I noticed some talk about different fuses changing the SQ and since I'm going to change it out, I may as well try a new type of fuse and see it it makes a difference.  Recommendations are welcome.
I received the Zotl last week and have been completely blown away by the clarity and sound stage this little thing puts out with just the stock tubes.  It really shines with HE1000 and Fostex th-x00. 
I ordered some Amperex 7062's that should be here next week and any other tube recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I listen mostly to jazz and classical and the microzotl really does great with both genres.
I'm happy to be here and looking forward to gaining some tube knowledge from ya'll.

Fast blow. I use the fuses for appliances that are a ceramic instead of glass and sand filled fast blow same rating. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,854 of 2,609
The 76 tube used with an adapter is insane for SQ. Very, Very layered and transparent. I need more time on them though as tubes can change as they burn in. The 6SN7W got better and has stayed that way, very good. I also will try the 6J5 again and need to let them burn in but the RCA black round plate is excellent, just like in the preamp I built. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,855 of 2,609
Im about to get my newly upgraded microZOTL2 back from Ben Z at Mojo Audio after after being
upgraded with his "less is more " philosophy of audio engineering.  Heard his own ZOTL2 last
week and it was about 30% clearer without binding posts, preamp outs or twisted wire traffic jams,
and PRAT was even more amazing.!! power supply connection hard wired....for use with Joule V
Mojo power supply or other .....

so i surrendered my own ZOTL2 prototype for his tinkering, including the above plus some new
silver wires, better volume control potentiometer and such. Picking it up in about an hour
and very excited!!!!  no tube rolling yet even...

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,856 of 2,609
Go Blue!
Keep us updated!

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,857 of 2,609
Im about to get my newly upgraded microZOTL2 back from Ben Z at Mojo Audio after after being
upgraded with his "less is more " philosophy of audio engineering.  Heard his own ZOTL2 last
week and it was about 30% clearer without binding posts, preamp outs or twisted wire traffic jams,
and PRAT was even more amazing.!! power supply connection hard wired....for use with Joule V
Mojo power supply or other .....

so i surrendered my own ZOTL2 prototype for his tinkering, including the above plus some new
silver wires, better volume control potentiometer and such. Picking it up in about an hour
and very excited!!!!  no tube rolling yet even...
I was not aware that the microZOTL stock construction included a Twisted Wire Traffic Jam.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,858 of 2,609
You make a right turn after the potentiometer bottleneck, can't missed it :)

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,859 of 2,609
For those of us sitting on the sideline, would be helpful to include some pricing information for the full-nelson package - seems we are about to read about.
Regardless, still excited to read impressions!

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,860 of 2,609
I don't think it has been fully built yet...we're still at the exploring stage, if I understand correctly

For those of us sitting on the sideline, would be helpful to include some pricing information for the full-nelson package - seems we are about to read about.
Regardless, still excited to read impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back