Metrum Pavane
Aug 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #61 of 682
  Considering I really love Stax I don't think I'll fall back into dynamics or planars so I'll be looking to downsize in gear. I may be interested in keeping another
DAC for a different presentation. But all this stems on finding out how the T2 reacts to tube rolling. I'll be building around that and the 009.

Agreed. Isolating power seems to be one of the keys to greater SQ. I think aside from clocking it has the biggest impact on sound.

Focus on the input tubes for your amp.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #62 of 682
I am not really a headphone guy but I am on the Dac merry-go-round. When DSD started I got a Mytek stereo 192. This uses a Sabrechip
Got tired of DSD and the Mytek pretty quick. I then picked up an Audionote 2.1 IIB along with an Audionote CDT II transport. Really beautiful sounding and I
really liked it. Started reading about the Teredac Chamelion and How analog sounding it was and being only $500 I bought one. It is a dac you just can't stop listening to.
Next read a review of the Metrum Hex by John Darko who also loves the Chamelion. When I asked him should I get the Hex he said if I really loved
the sound of the Chamelion then don't by the Hex. Well I bought the Hex and for the last 9 months it was my reference. Recently bought an UpTone AudioRegen with
an outboard linear power supply and tried it with both the hex and Chamelion. I am back to this $500 dac as my reference. You guys should try the Regen if you are streaming over USB
Currently looking at the GD Reference 7. Somebody stop me. This is crazy. All these dacs except the Mytek are R2R multibit dac. The Hex and Chamelion both use 16 parallel chips
I think I will go listen to my Chamelion
Alan

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #68 of 682
I tried everything man. Trust me I want to listen to this dac but not if it is an hour of troubleshooting every time. Call me crazy but no manual other than a CD that does not work is unacceptable for a $5k dac. I hear if you run mac no driver is necessary? Any mac users want a crazy deal on a Pavane? I don't recommend the Pavane to Windows users at all. As a matter of fact run away from the Pavane if you like Windows.

Auralic Ark mx+ may not sound as nice but it came with a nice manual that made it very easy to get setup. I never had even small drop out for well over a year and its a fourth the price the Pavane, both used.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #69 of 682
  I tried everything man. Trust me I want to listen to this dac but not if it is an hour of troubleshooting every time. Call me crazy but no manual other than a CD that does not work is unacceptable for a $5k dac. I hear if you run mac no driver is necessary? Any mac users want a crazy deal on a Pavane? I don't recommend the Pavane to Windows users at all. As a matter of fact run away from the Pavane if you like Windows.

Auralic Ark mx+ may not sound as nice but it came with a nice manual that made it very easy to get setup. I never had even small drop out for well over a year and its a fourth the price the Pavane, both used.

I am convinced the Pavane need a driver. My Metrum Octave MK2 does. Email Metrum directly. It needs installing, then you need to enable it is settings. On a Mac that is in Audio Midi, on Windows different. I am sure you will sort it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #70 of 682
They designed those Transient blocks to hide something, either because it is easily copied, or for marketing fluff and mystery. Since there doesn't appear to be a lot of marketing around them I'll say hiding. Here's the datasheet

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #71 of 682

I am in the market for one what will you sell it for?

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #73 of 682
  I believe there is another purpose, that's for unifying the temperature of the resistors in the R2R structure. 

Don't bother windwolf447. Some on here are just angry with the world.....

Going back to the 'bust' Pavane. I don't get it. I know users of the Hex and Octave in Windows with no hassles. It must be the installation of the drivers.

go here:
http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/SupportEN.html

Unless you are on Windows 10 there should be no problem.... If you are on Windows 10 there may be a fix, telephone Metrum, they are a good company and don't deserve this.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back