Metrum Pavane
Aug 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #78 of 682
+1 that it's not fair to bleat on about an issue without even first trying to contact the seller or the support team.

Jibzilla,  I do hope that you downloaded the Pavane Windows Driver from the Metrum website when you "tried everything".

Admittedly, there's no instructions manual on the website on first glance - that would have been useful, even if most of the time the correct driver for the job will usually just work.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #79 of 682
  Don't bother windwolf447. Some on here are just angry with the world.....
Going back to the 'bust' Pavane. I don't get it. I know users of the Hex and Octave in Windows with no hassles. It must be the installation of the drivers.

go here:
http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/SupportEN.html

Unless you are on Windows 10 there should be no problem.... If you are on Windows 10 there may be a fix, telephone Metrum, they are a good company and don't deserve this.....

I had to turn the sleep mode off on my laptop. For some reason sleep mode messes with the drivers. 

I'm sure Metrum is a nice company with nice people working for them but the bottom line is I have spent more time troubleshooting than listening. If your going to build a $5k commercial dac then your going to have to put up with customer complaints. Didn't mention yet but it has also gotten stuck and dropped out on tidal more than once already. It sounds wonderful. I'm not denying that. But Metrum has ALLOT of work to do still to make this dac more user friendly. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #81 of 682
Can't see how Tidal is a Pavane problem, sorry. A dac doesn't know anything about the software you use, it's not a player and it's only task is to decode a PCM signal. If Tidal drops is Tidal app fault.

Nah I actually had this happen with a few different laptops and a serato sl-3. Serato denied it for a while but eventually came out with a mac recommendation. Plus the Auralic was just playing and not a single drop out for months on end. I don't think it would matter if it was youtube, tidal, whatever I think this dac and my laptop are just going to have drop outs.

I think its a laptop issue like serato not a Windows issue. Who knows. All I know is I had another couple hours on it and counted 12 drop outs and the dac lights up when it drops out so you know for sure know it.

I will hook the Auralic back up but I'm 100% sure the dropouts will stop.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #82 of 682

Nah I actually had this happen with a few different laptops and a serato sl-3. Serato denied it for a while but eventually came out with a mac recommendation. Plus the Auralic was just playing and not a single drop out for months on end. I don't think it would matter if it was youtube, tidal, whatever I think this dac and my laptop are just going to have drop outs.

I think its a laptop issue like serato not a Windows issue. Who knows. All I know is I had another couple hours on it and counted 12 drop outs and the dac lights up when it drops out so you know for sure know it.

I will hook the Auralic back up but I'm 100% sure the dropouts will stop.

Sounds like they have a ways to go get this dac right.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #83 of 682
I was driving my Hex with a pc running Windows 8. I switch ove to a MacBook pro and
it wouldnotrecogize the Hex. Spoke to Metrum and they told me the new operating system (Yosemite) does not work with th Hex
They sad they were working on a fix by changing the USB input away from t Hiface Mytek they use. But they were not sure how the would fix the units in the field. Tey told me
HiFace was working on a new driver for the mc but did not know whn it would  be redy. Took a chance and went to the Hiface site ad at the top of the page in red was a link to the
new Metrum driver. Down loaded it and it has worked pefelyth no problems at all.
Alan

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #84 of 682
I have a story about the Auralic bridge. Had one for 4 months. Worked great forabout 2 weeks and then started with dropouts all the time. Spent months
with the head tech guy from Auralic and could never get it to work. I was streaming from a router over WiFi. Bought the latest greatest router and that
didn't work either. I sent it to them and they said it worked fine. They did refund my money. What was interesting I tried streaming Tidal over WiFi
with a Lenova PC. This wouldn't work either. Finally tried a MacBook pro and it has performed perfectly without a single dopout. So it might not be
Tidals problem but a computer or streamer problem. Tidal is great and I love it. I also stream Classicsonline which streams files up to 24/192 also with no problems
I am sure the Pavanne proble is a driver prolem.Metrum should be able to fix the problem
Alan

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #85 of 682
I didn't encounter any problem when using it with windows though. I think you should contact Metrum to see if it it your unit's problem, they response email quite fast and I like their service.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #86 of 682
The Hex now uses a Amanero usb board, and it doesn't have any problem with Linux or Mac. I used to own one with the old hiface module for a while but decided to send it back to Metrum for the usb board upgrade. I posted about this a few months ago in the Hex thread. I spent about £200 but the service and the communication was first class and in a week my Hex was back home.
It's strange they are now using again the hiface module for the Pavane, are we sure about it? It doesn't mention anything in the specs page on the Metrum site

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #87 of 682
Hooked the Auralic up and yeah no dropouts, for hours on end. I spent who knows how many hours with a phone tech with Serato support. We literally tried everything to get to work till finally he just told me to return my laptop to best buy and buy something different. I have a feeling myself and a metrum phone rep are going to go through the same thing but I can't do that cause it's the Netherlands and I use a cheap trakphone.

I will give it one more try but after this it is $3k. I bought it used so I won't completely lose my butt and I doubt it stays for sale long.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #88 of 682
It's strange they are now using again the hiface module for the Pavane, are we sure about it? It doesn't mention anything in the specs page on the Metrum site

On the Metrum support page, the "USB 3" module for the Pavane and Musette looks completely different to the old module for Hex and Octave. Although both modules appear to be made by M2Tech.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #89 of 682
  Hooked the Auralic up and yeah no dropouts, for hours on end. I spent who knows how many hours with a phone tech with Serato support. We literally tried everything to get to work till finally he just told me to return my laptop to best buy and buy something different. I have a feeling myself and a metrum phone rep are going to go through the same thing but I can't do that cause it's the Netherlands and I use a cheap trakphone.

I will give it one more try but after this it is $3k. I bought it used so I won't completely lose my butt and I doubt it stays for sale long.

I will buy it for 3k where are you located?

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #90 of 682
  On the Metrum support page, the "USB 3" module for the Pavane and Musette looks completely different to the old module for Hex and Octave. Although both modules appear to be made by M2Tech.

The Hex now uses a Amanero usb board, and it doesn't have any problem with Linux or Mac. I used to own one with the old hiface module for a while but decided to send it back to Metrum for the usb board upgrade. I posted about this a few months ago in the Hex thread. I spent about £200 but the service and the communication was first class and in a week my Hex was back home.

Hi realmassy
I think Metrum preferred the M2Tech as regards SQ, what I heard, but if anyone knows different? The M2Tech hassle of the driver support issue and Mavericks was not funny and went on too long IMO. I talked to M2Tech many times over my EVO SPDIF 3 stack box, and they finally got a coder to do the update, and I got back onto Asycronious and Integer mode. M2Tech's original coder left and worked for a competitor I was told, and ran off with some of their work / property. I also read the same story on the computeraudio website.

I think M2Tech can produce great gear but seem a bit disorganised. Possibly the small size of the company? dunno. It is less risky for Metrum if they can make their own USB interface of course, and if they can build it 'software free'. There are problems with the way a Mac and a PC handle the data stream, and to avoid all of those problems, software seems to be required.

The Pavane is interesting and I can see Metrum have spend some expensive time designing it. Whether it is better than the Yggy? The R-2R market IMO is expanding quick, so probably enough room for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back