Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

zabzaf

500+ Head-Fier

We had a fantastic meet today at the Metro Detroit Head-Fi meet...Thanks to everyone who came and brought their fantastic gear!

Please use this thread to leave impressions, pictures, etc. from the meet.

I hope all of you who attended had as much fun as I did!

Thanks to kayandjohn for the above image. Nice!

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 160
Fantastic meet, people and gear. Personally, I suspect the meet will cost me a lot of money over the next few months.. The HD800 sets were nothing short of incredible. The Sennheiser amp pairs so well with them it is hard to resist, but I was really pleased how well the Decware CSP2+ mated up as well.

The Schiit gear was also very impressive. Without question, it sounds great, but it sure does run warm.. I am surprised there aren't cooling mods.. The Mjolnir paired well with the Audeze too..

Franks' system was incredible. So beautiful in sound and appearance.

So much great gear.. time went quickly. I could have spent a few more hours.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 160

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 160
I'd like to thank everyone there for my first experience with such high quality headphones and audio setups. And another thanks for being patient with me who doesn't have much experience in the headphone world(and the real world for that matter).

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 160
I'd like to thank everyone there for my first experience with such high quality headphones and audio setups. And another thanks for being patient with me who doesn't have much experience in the headphone world(and the real world for that matter).

You're welcome. It was commendable what you did to even make it to the meet...it was our pleasure.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 160
A great thanks to zabzaf for his organization and to our host for his facility.

In looking at our Detroit skyline and then at some of the other local meets, I find that other meets show a pair of headphones (usually the HD 800) rising ominously, phoenix-like, over the skyline of the city.

So here is ours...

I had a great time.  I really appreciated the fact that there were just the right number of people and headphones to really be able to talk to folks and try the headphones you wanted to.  In my case that was the LCD-2, which I enjoyed two samples of.

I was amazed to find a Grado RS-1 with the wooden buttons.  I compared them to my newer buttonless RS-1i to find they were more bassy while being almost as fully transparent... it makes me look forward to the buttoned RS-1s that I have coming to me as a result of a trade of my HiFiMAN HE-500.

I much enjoyed sharing my story of the six Grado headphones that I had brought.  From least expensive to most expensive:

SR60: ($79 list price new) - the most amazing of the Grados for what you can get for the money.  Frequency response shows them as the most bass-rich of the Prestige Series.

SR80: ($99) - not yet in my collection... the only missing member of the Prestige Series.

SR125: ($150) - while I hear them as clearer and preferable to the SR60, everyone else who made a choice gave the SR60 the edge.

SR225:($200) - this, as well as the RS1, are considered the best example of the "Grado House Sound," i.e., ultra transparent, wonderful treble and fast impulse response, light bass.  These are excellent for rock guitar, female vocals, and piano; not so great for hip hop and complicated symphonic music.  Mine had after-market leather "J-Money" headband;

SR325: ($300) - If the SR225 is the exemplar of Grado sound, this is the caricature of Grado sound, as it exaggerates the transparency, treble, and speed, and can cause listener fatigue.  But they are perhaps the most fun to hear!

PS500: ($600) - I see the PS500 as Grado's most "polite" headphone (at least of those that I have), seeking to tune down the brightness, increase the bass, and better cover some of the types of music that the other Grados neglect.

RS1i: ($700) - The most "refined" of the collection, keeping the brightness and house sound of the SR225 (and considered by some as an exemplar, like the SR225, of the "Grado House Sound"), but doing this while somewhat rounding the sharp edges of the others and having better bass response.  Was at one time the top-fo-the-line headphone of Grado.

I also had heard that the Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC/amplifier, while generally agreed to be excellent for the Sennheiser HD 800 headphone, was not too capable of driving lower impedance Grados.  Grados have 32 ohm impedance; the Sennheiser HD 800 has an impedance of around 300 ohms, though at some frequencies, it is as high as 600 ohms.  The HDVD 800 has an output impedance, chosen by Sennheiser tests with listeners, as 43 ohms.

However, an objective listener declared that the HDVD 800 was indeed a better amp for the Grado RS1i than the Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp, with much lower impedance.  So now I can use my HDVD800 on my Grados in confidence!

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 160
With all the fun today, I became inspired to finish my custom, balanced cable for HifiMan...

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 160
  Thank-You to the very nice man that housed the Detroit Headphone meet this Saturday Sept.20th at his Industrial Pump Regional Office , a generous thing to do , Great Food ( JETS Deeeep Dish Pizza galore , yummy , and Greek Salad , plenty for all ) .  
  I brought along a Senior Technologist in Dr. Jon Pohl who was quite taken with the Audeze LCD-2 brought by an old acquaintance : Dale a.k.a. dbear44 ( from my days of High-End Audio Retailing : Esoteric Audio ) , nice seeing you again Dale , you look great.  In the photos of the meet one photo shows me a fat old guy wearing a red music shirt and Tigers Baseball Cap , leaning over Dale at the Computer selecting a piece of music and Jon is the tallish thin man next to me looking on .  Jon worked on the development of the Tilt Wing Osprey that the US Marines now use ( he actually owns one himself ) .   
   The equipment brought by attendees performed well , everyone had ample samplings of everything active , it was wonderful to be able to have access to so much superb equipment !!
  I was a bit shocked and awed by the sheer number of Schiit Products this group own ( I now only 3 or 4 Schiit items that my wife knows about ) , clearly  Jason Stoddard and the good Dr.Moffat have had a huge impact on the Headphone Community .  Sennheiser was probably the most popular Headphone along with Grado and a strong showing of Beyer products , those Audeze people had a few owners too and they kinda get top honors , perhaps shared with the Outstanding Sennheiser 800s and the matching Sennheiser Amp set-up brought by the Abarth Man from Ann Arbor , Mi. ( a gracious Gentleman ) who also brought a beautiful little SONY portable amp that sounded superb , in my hands ( powering a pair of Shure SE535 in-ear monitors provided by TimkWhite ) , thank you !
  Over the last 4 Decades that I've worked the CES Shows I've not encountered a more pleasant group of attendees and exhibitors , this meet was a delight to attend , I wonder if all these little headphone events are like this ? , there had to be at least $100,000 worth of gear sitting on those tables for anyone to sample , it was like a Gourmand Buffet Table , help yourself , all you can absorb and enjoy , sample everything , no problem , an Audio Orgy of beautiful equipment , a person could never audition this much gear , at one time , in the history of High-End Audio .   Has me wondering : what would RMAF be like ? 
  Tyll and Steve G. originally endorsed Schiit and Sennheiser for me to own and begin my exploration of this engaging hobby , at the time I had no idea headphones could be so delightful , now it's become my "off-the-grid oasis" that I can retreat to no matter where I am .  
  In years past , a person would need a quiet listening room , a very nice Record Player , some very expensive Electronics and a proper Full-Range Loudspeaker System to enjoy a superb Music Presentation .  Today a person need only an iPhone and a pair of Grado 225 Headphones to enjoy an even more pleasant Nirvana ( thank you Mr.Abarth Man for pointing this out ) . 
  We are now at the point where  "Everyman" has easy access to great music , I , for one , am delighted .
  Thank you again to the Detroit Headphone Show organizers , very nice work indeed !! 
  Tony in Michigan 

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 160
    Thank-You to the very nice man that housed the Detroit Headphone meet this Saturday Sept.20th at his Industrial Pump Regional Office , a generous thing to do , Great Food ( JETS Deeeep Dish Pizza galore , yummy , and Greek Salad , plenty for all ) .  
  I brought along a Senior Technologist in Dr. Jon Pohl who was quite taken with the Audeze LCD-2 brought by an old acquaintance : Dale a.k.a. dbear44 ( from my days of High-End Audio Retailing : Esoteric Audio ) , nice seeing you again Dale , you look great.  In the photos of the meet one photo shows me a fat old guy wearing a red music shirt and Tigers Baseball Cap , leaning over Dale at the Computer selecting a piece of music and Jon is the tallish thin man next to me looking on .  Jon worked on the development of the Tilt Wing Osprey that the US Marines now use ( he actually owns one himself ) .   
   The equipment brought by attendees performed well , everyone had ample samplings of everything active , it was wonderful to be able to have access to so much superb equipment !!
  I was a bit shocked and awed by the sheer number of Schiit Products this group own ( I now only 3 or 4 Schiit items that my wife knows about ) , clearly  Jason Stoddard and the good Dr.Moffat have had a huge impact on the Headphone Community .  Sennheiser was probably the most popular Headphone along with Grado and a strong showing of Beyer products , those Audeze people had a few owners too and they kinda get top honors , perhaps shared with the Outstanding Sennheiser 800s and the matching Sennheiser Amp set-up brought by the Abarth Man from Ann Arbor , Mi. ( a gracious Gentleman ) who also brought a beautiful little SONY portable amp that sounded superb , in my hands ( powering a pair of Shure SE535 in-ear monitors provided by TimkWhite ) , thank you !
  Over the last 4 Decades that I've worked the CES Shows I've not encountered a more pleasant group of attendees and exhibitors , this meet was a delight to attend , I wonder if all these little headphone events are like this ? , there had to be at least $100,000 worth of gear sitting on those tables for anyone to sample , it was like a Gourmand Buffet Table , help yourself , all you can absorb and enjoy , sample everything , no problem , an Audio Orgy of beautiful equipment , a person could never audition this much gear , at one time , in the history of High-End Audio .   Has me wondering : what would RMAF be like ? 
  Tyll and Steve G. originally endorsed Schiit and Sennheiser for me to own and begin my exploration of this engaging hobby , at the time I had no idea headphones could be so delightful , now it's become my "off-the-grid oasis" that I can retreat to no matter where I am .  
  In years past , a person would need a quiet listening room , a very nice Record Player , some very expensive Electronics and a proper Full-Range Loudspeaker System to enjoy a superb Music Presentation .  Today a person need only an iPhone and a pair of Grado 225 Headphones to enjoy an even more pleasant Nirvana ( thank you Mr.Abarth Man for pointing this out ) . 
  We are now at the point where  "Everyman" has easy access to great music , I , for one , am delighted .
  Thank you again to the Detroit Headphone Show organizers , very nice work indeed !! 
  Tony in Michigan 

Well said, Mr. Tony Kaz...

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 160
With all the fun today, I became inspired to finish my custom, balanced cable for HifiMan...

you know, Physics teaches us that red and black headphone cables (and headphone amps, and headphones) sound the best!

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 160
Hello Sir ,

I forgot to note your Name Tag when mentioning you in my little comments , I hoped you'd be ok with Abarth Man as the only possible identifier I could think of .   
For sure , you opened my eyes to the greatness of the HD800 System , an astonishing musical instrument in-of itself , easily the finest transducer system I have ever encountered !!  I can see why Tyll clings to them as his Standard of Comparison Wall of Fame Headphone ! 
Your little Sony portable is another breath-taker , it made me start dancing ( I should've been embarrassed but felt wonderful instead , it captured and held my emotions , made my body go to moving funny ways , such is it's powerful capability ) .  
  Then , later , blind-siding me in the hallway you presented your little Grado Phones playing straight from your iPhone ( it was a phone wasn't it ? ) , it was at that moment I came to realize that nearly everyone has easy access to wonderful musical performances .   
 You tripled me , or maybe even quadrupled me by letting me have a casual look at that wonderful little Fiat .  Phew , you are riding the razor edge of technology . 
  Dr.Jon Pohl is already , this evening , looking deeply into owning one of those Sony Devices , he too was a bit dazzled , not at all an easy to catch this man by surprise but you did . 
Thank You , especially , for being there and sharing your discoveries with us .  

Tony Kaz

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 160
Hi everybody, and good morning. I just wanted to thank all who shared their gear, knowledge and experience yesterday at the meet. I learned a lot and had a good deal of fun auditioning the wide array of headphones and sources. I will definitely be sending Sennheiser some money in the near future. Possibly Fios as well, unless I end up upgrading my Schiit first! Nice to have met all the great guys! I'll try to make myself more present on this site in the future as well. Thanks again to all you guys, to Dan for the use of his building and my good friend Brian for organizing this event.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 160
Hello Sir ,

I forgot to note your Name Tag when mentioning you in my little comments , I hoped you'd be ok with Abarth Man as the only possible identifier I could think of .   
For sure , you opened my eyes to the greatness of the HD800 System , an astonishing musical instrument in-of itself , easily the finest transducer system I have ever encountered !!  I can see why Tyll clings to them as his Standard of Comparison Wall of Fame Headphone ! 
Your little Sony portable is another breath-taker , it made me start dancing ( I should've been embarrassed but felt wonderful instead , it captured and held my emotions , made my body go to moving funny ways , such is it's powerful capability ) .  
  Then , later , blind-siding me in the hallway you presented your little Grado Phones playing straight from your iPhone ( it was a phone wasn't it ? ) , it was at that moment I came to realize that nearly everyone has easy access to wonderful musical performances .   
 You tripled me , or maybe even quadrupled me by letting me have a casual look at that wonderful little Fiat .  Phew , you are riding the razor edge of technology . 
  Dr.Jon Pohl is already , this evening , looking deeply into owning one of those Sony Devices , he too was a bit dazzled , not at all an easy to catch this man by surprise but you did . 
Thank You , especially , for being there and sharing your discoveries with us .  

Tony Kaz

Wow... Thanks for your kind words

Yep, I'm proud to be called Abarth Man. Much more interesting than "kayandjohn" as my handle here.

That was actually an iPod Touch 5th Gen that I was showing you the Grados on in the hall. While Grados are great with any iPhone product, the iPod Touch 5 has the lowest output impedance (0.73 ohms!) and works well with many low impedance headphones like the Grados.

The little Sony amp, called the PHA-1, is often available used at a very attractive price (e.g. $250 rather than $500 new), since Sony has come out with the PHA-2 (more battery life and additional audio digital formats) and said to be coming out with the PHA-3.

Oh and I slightly misstated the amp that many find so good with Grados. It is the Little Dot 1+ (no M in the model number). It is a tube amp costing just a bit more than $100 new.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back