Meridian 808i owners
Mar 3, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #77 of 140
As always eyeteeth, you are simply one step ahead of me in this game. Dog follows the horse. The dCS P8i, if that is the one alluded to in the San Diego shootout, is interesting, but I am focusing on CD playback primarily. I get the funny feeling that the participants in the shootout simply wanted SA-CD to win by proxy vote. Again, I have nothing against SA-CD as I am now listening to Rachel Podger's J.S. Bach: Solo & Double Violin Concertos (Hybrid SA-CD) on my Denon DVD 5910ci and it sounds wonderful. But, I stopped looking for and buying SA-CDs three years ago. I also actively stopped looking to buy high resolution formats be it audio or video altogether.

Well, at least the Meridian 808i plays stereo DVD-Audio discs. Too bad there's nothing to listen to either.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #78 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I get the funny feeling that the participants in the shootout simply wanted SA-CD to win by proxy vote. ...

I do not see how that could be the case because in the original shootout "Two pieces of well-recorded classical music on Red Book CDs were chosen because they offered a range of instrumental and vocal sonic charactistics." Later SACD was used to compare the #1 and #2 player which only served to solidify the rankings of the two players. Assuming that is a faithful representation of the proceedings it seems like a pretty useful little test. For me personally, I wish they had used an Esoteric P03/D03 combo as well.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #79 of 140
Came home from my friend's, well, umm...mansion. He's had the Meridian 808i for over two years now. He also has the DSP8000s and the MHR cables. Frickin' unbelievable! I hooked up my headphone system (all of it) to his 808i and it was just pure sonic heaven. He also has a fine analog system comprised of Linn SONDEK LP12 and some other stuff I forgot to write down. It was really a tossup between two competing by beautiful sounds. He said his 808i was the best CD player he's heard in a long time. He had almost gone pure analog until it came along.

I swear it sounds like live music even moreso with his loudspeakers. Something worth aspiring to in the future. I also got to play with the analog and digital inputs. It's pretty simple: plug, switch to source, and play. He had a Squeezebox 3 Wi-Fi and hooked it up using a TOSLink cable and it was so awesome. We were going through some of his catalog that he was still building on his Apple MacPro and it was such a revelation. Pandora, countless music organized however you wanted, and all at a touch of a button. Plus, the squeezebox could be placed wherever there was a 802.11G signal. I could get into that someday.

The most important sonics that just keep popping out are the panoramic dynamics, balance, reproduction of ambience, PRAT, and resolution with such tonal purity that it is crystalline. This 808i makes CDs sound better than DVD-Audio and SA-CD easily! It is not digital done right or an exceptional fascimilie of analog: it. is. ALIVE! Music has such joy and vivacity that it is simply addicting. Simply incredible.

Got my first paycheck from my new career. 75% goes to savings. It starts here and now. 31 more weeks or faster. I'm going to ask my friend for a copy of the key to his home in the meantime.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been in this crazy hobby for about five years now and I thought that I had seen and heard just about enough to sniff through the b u l l s h e i t z in the 'biz. The Meridian 808i smells like a freshly cut red red rose.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #80 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some numbers crunching. If I can keep my job with my import / export leather goods small company (this seems more realistic every day given the positive feedback from my manager and co-workers) and I get my old job back at Barnes & Noble, I am looking at around the week of 4th of September 2007 to do busines with Mr. Todd Green for a new Meridian 808i...while still paying down my USDOE debt and saving and contributing to my ROTH IRA. Also, if I decide to keep doing both jobs, then I will pay off my student loan debt by the last day of this year. I will have no other debts. I already own my own home and car. That alone can open up new opportunities next year for my education goals. I am not ready to pursue an advanced degree just yet. I have a busy schedule as is.

My top priority is to sail through the 90 day probation period at both jobs and to get promoted as quickly as I can and know how this year.

The only drawback will be that I will be working every day with no days off. However, the commute times will still be far less than 1 hour daily and I will be in good working environments with friendly and helpful co-workers along with friends. So, yes, I will enjoy doing it while I am still relatively young.

I am going to do these two goals this year. I have a realistic financial plan that is written down, copied into my day timer planner, and a heck of a lot of motivation driving me.

Thank God I am an American.

Thank you for reading my thread. I will update as I draw nearer to my deadlines.

Welly, IMHO no cd player is worth working 2 jobs for. I would seriously put that money towards paying off your debt. We are all human beings and unexpected is part of our lives. Just remember that this thing is only supposed to play discs.
biggrin.gif
There are far more important things out there.
biggrin.gif
I would reconsider only if you had all my debts paid off etc etc.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #81 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welly, IMHO no cd player is worth working 2 jobs for. I would seriously put that money towards paying off your debt. We are all human beings and unexpected is part of our lives. Just remember that this thing is only supposed to play discs.
biggrin.gif
There are far more important things out there.
biggrin.gif
I would reconsider only if you had all my debts paid off etc etc.

If I do pay off all of your debts Dimitrius, then I would reconsider buying it myself too.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Enough. I'm charging ahead with my goals.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #84 of 140
Dimitrius:

I saw those Audiogon advertisements. Please read BHD812's posts as I do concur with him.

If you trust me, then PM me. We can get together and listen to each other's music systems.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #85 of 140
wow i didnt know the 808i could serve as preamp with DAC as well. looks like your next headphone amp could be potless... hmm potless GS-X running into various balanced headphones with digital (remote) volume control
600smile.gif

i say go for it Welly, i sure would if i felt i could afford it but a better car and my first mortgage will hopefully be coming soon. it would be kind of ridiculous to have a $12,000 source sitting in a small apartment thats rented.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #86 of 140
Maybe you might offer the $7500 A'Gon seller $7K for their 808 and see what happens? S/He will probably counter-offer something in between or even accept your offer if you are nice about it. Is the only reason you don't want to buy used because of the risk of warranty? I would imagine if the player worked reliably for the previous owner it will continue to work reliably for you. I haven't heard of many problems with really high end sources like this. Also, if some insane digital does come out that you want more than the 808, you will be losing A LOT of $ selling a unit you bought new. If you get a used one and you find that you really couldn't afford it, you will lose some $ on the used market, but not very much. Maybe none at all if you need to turn it around quickly. You will have it in your system all that time and you can feel comfortable about the price you paid and the $ you will be able to recover.

If I were unethical, I could probably flip the source I have on the way for a $700-800 profit. I really think buying used is worth the risk for high end items like this.

Of course, while I enjoy spending other people's money, I don't want to encourage you to make a decision you might regret. Take it all with a grain of salt. Even though my advice is pretty damn good if I do say so myself! I'm kidding, I'm kidding! [size=xx-small]No I'm not...[/size]

I wish you good luck on your search. The price of used 808's will only go down. Have patience. But not too much!
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #87 of 140
yeah when you consider the price difference, given the small chance the player would have a catastophic failure out of waranty you could still probibly have Meridian rebuild the whole thing (replace the motherboard) and still come in less than retail.

i would contact Meridian directly and ask about service estimates, see what would most likely go wrong in a defective unit and what it would cost to repair. AFAIK the transports are literally $20 Toshiba DVD drives. alos, how long is the Manufacture Warranty on a new unit?

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #89 of 140
Buying used is tempting to save several thousand........one caution Meridian warranty is not transferrable, only valid for original owner. Meridian G08 has 2yr warranty

Meridian service center is in Georgia and it is easy to contact live person to answer questions

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #90 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the other problem with both of the A'gon units is that they are 808's not 808i's and Welly explained that he needed/wanted the preamp capabilities of the 808i.

I just realized that... Never mind, Welly. The pre-amp function is not insignificant and might justify more $. Still, buying new for these kinds of items is just anathema to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back