Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,172 of 3,070

Hi Armaegis,

Quote:
Arising from a discussion of using the XP8000/18000 as "clean" power sources over at AMB, from the man himself...

Anyone have comments on this?

I really don't know how the XPAL power packs end up with three different output jacks - 5V, 12V, and 19V - but the XP8000 sounds great with the Stepdance!   No hum, buzzing, hiss, or anything else undesireable.  The noise floor is wonderfully black (with a good source, or no source signal at all).

I'm just conjecturing, but I think it would be much less expensive a design to just tap multiple cells in different combinations of serial or parrallel circuits to come up with the three different output voltages.  That, in combination with some diodes to control current flow, would be less expensive than a design that uses DC-to-DC convertors.  (Just guessing.)

In any case, I don't hear anything unsavory when using the XP8000 with the Stepdance and LCD-2s.  Ianmedium, Racio, and cukis350 have not complained of any noise problems either (at least when powering the Stepdance from the 12-Volt jack of their XP8000s).  YMMV

Thanks for sharing that info, though.  We're all experimenting here, so we really should keep our eyes and ears open for problems.

Speaking of which:   If anyone decides to power their Stepdance at 15-Volts, please understand that I can accept no liability for any negative consequences, but I will gladly accept at least partial credit for positive experiences associated with 15-Volt operation!   
wink.gif

Use a voltmeter to measure the power you are supplying to the Stepdance (tip positive, < or = 15VDC) before you connect it and proceed at your own risk. 

Mike

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,173 of 3,070
Firstly, thank you for your kind words Mike, they are much appreciated!

Secondly, I experience no noise whatsoever with the XP8000 connected, just inky black background to which the music can come forward. I was just listening to an Angela Hewitt recording of Beethovan piano sonata's, the silence behind the notes was deep and black. I really think this portable power supply is a great way to go, mains power potential with absolute non of the bad attributes of mains power without expensive conditioning. I am really looking forward to hearing the difference between the twelve volts and 15!

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,174 of 3,070
So the NB tips didn't come with mine and I ordered from B&H.

If anyone in Canada is wanting to get the powerstream tip, lets buy it together so we don't pay $20 dollars for this -_-

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,175 of 3,070
GG,

So, you got all of the other tips shown in the package contents PDF, but not the NB04, NB05, and NB06?  

See:  http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/vn/downloads/package-contents/PC-XP8000.pdf

That makes two of us, now, with me ordering from Amazon and you ordering from B&H Photo.  It's an Energizer factory production error.

I can't get them to respond to my queries about it, either (not yet, anyway...)

The NB05 tip would allow use of the XP8000 as a 12-Volt supply for the Stepdance (without having to purchase the XPAL Willy Cable WI15 or the PowerStream Slip-On connector required for 15-Volt operation.)

The 15-Volt setup does not require the missing NB05 connector.

Mike

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #1,176 of 3,070
Yep. I ordered the slipon connector T_T $30 shipping just for those ugh. And Expedited shipping method for the WI15 and NB05 from xpal. $70 just for that. I'm so... depressed -_-; I just ordered the Nb05 just because I can get another tip :p -sigh-. $70 is a day's worth of work.... Well, atleast the solos came today. I think from now on, I'll use FedEx for shipping method. Atleast they include all the customs fees in the original payment. It would've been cheaper to use fedex than go with usps and pay customs tax separately in this case with the Solo. dumb? Yes. USPS took 14 days. FedEx would've took ~4-5 days. :) Ridiculous. I hate Canada. :D

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,177 of 3,070
If the brokerage fees are excessive, you can always choose to broker them items yourself. It involves a bit of legwork though, and a trip down to the customs office as well as the shipping depot.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,178 of 3,070

GG,

I love Canada!  But I would probably hate the postal expenses, so I understand your frustration.

Please tell me precisely how you ordered the NB05 tip.  

I can NOT figure out how to do that - I keep getting told that it comes with the XP8000 and thus, is not available as a standalone purchase.

Thanks!

Mike

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #1,179 of 3,070

GG,

I love Canada!  But I would probably hate the postal expenses, so I understand your frustration.

Please tell me precisely how you ordered the NB05 tip.  

I can NOT figure out how to do that - I keep getting told that it comes with the XP8000 and thus, is not available as a standalone purchase.

Thanks!

Mike

XPAL tip finder http://tipfinder.xpalpower.com/02ti...er&bid=12&brand=Axion&mid=1009&model=AXN3808R

Wow. Charged my solo, and I'm listening. I'm amazed.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,180 of 3,070
Mike,

To order another NB05 tip you need to register your XP8000 and enter these details into the tip finder utility on the Energizer website -

Device : Portable DVD » Brand : Axion » Model : AXN3808R

This brings up the NB05 tip.

Cheers.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,181 of 3,070
This is all OT, but I can confirm not getting any NB-type plugs with the XP8000 that arrived today from B&H. Google "nb05 site:http://tipfinder.xpalpower.com/" and you'll find items, change 'nb05' to 'wi15' or anything else for others. Hope that helps.

Then on topic, anyone ready to respond to post post #1140? :rolleyes:

The Stepdance is no doubt a great amp, but it is difficult for me to judge what could improve just looking at specifications or differences in design principles between Stepdance and others. I am not qualified to properly understand their designs and I never listened to any amp using OPA1611 opamps (or OPA211, for that matter).

Maybe someone with more experience is willing to comment on how the qualities of the Stepdance hold up against 'simple' but adjustable DIY builds such as the Pimeta?

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #1,182 of 3,070
Wow, I am counting myself very lucky as mine came with everything!

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,183 of 3,070

GG, smial1966, and ZMN - I have successfully ordered an NB05 tip.  Thank you!

ZMN - I don't have any experience with any amp other than the Stepdance.  Sad, but true - so I can't compare it to anything else and I suspect most people in this thread have very little exposure to DIY amps.  You're in a different league having built your own gear. 
smile.gif

Ian - Yes, you seem to have lucked out, receiving all the tips shown in the package contents PDF! 
biggrin.gif

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back