Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,186 of 3,070

Congratulations on receiving your Solo GG!

Mike

Hey Mike. It appears that my copy+paste link did not show up in my post. I re-read my post just now after I came back from work and I sounded so disrespectful. I didn't mean it :frowning2: I copy and pasted the link after I searched the thing for you but it didn't appear. I guess it's because I should've used the code for it. url=blahblah. But yeah, glad someone else helped ^^

Thank you ^^ I'm still amazed with how the solo just ... Each time I put my headphones on, I just can't help but smile. Now to sell my w1000x when the 3A comes out ^.^ I think I'd much prefer the lowprofile IEMs.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,187 of 3,070
to my dismay, i just noticed my xp8000 did not come with a ab05 right angle plug
it is a hassel to find the ab05 on energizer's tip finder, in which i have to rifle through the laptop model one by one....

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,190 of 3,070

It's a shame we have to buy these tips that were supposed to come with the XP8000, but at least that's an available last resort. 
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,191 of 3,070
Just checked the tracking, the tips should be here tomorrow, unfortunately no tracking with energizer so probably another week for that, can't wait to hear the system with this cable in place!

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,192 of 3,070
The difference between powering the Stepdance at 12-Volt and 15-Volt is subtle with some recordings but undeniable with others (at least with my source - Sony PCM-M10, my headphones - LCD-2, and my ears.) 

I wouldn't begin to claim that I am a skilled listener - not at all like many people here in these forums who can describe nuances that I'm sure I can't even perceive.  But I'm getting there, thanks to my relatively recent advancement to using nice (well... nicer) hardware. 

At the risk of embarassing myself with my limited vocabulary of acoustic descriptors, I will attempt to describe the difference between what I hear with 12-Volts vs. 15-Volts (or 8.4-Volts and 15-Volts, for that matter) - again, using the Sony PCM-M10 and Audeze LCD-2.  Don't laugh! 

tongue_smile.gif

Recordings that have a lot of texture sound tighter, more precise, cleaner, more distinct.  If I were to use photographic terminology, I'd say that the sound has higher acutance and resolution, where acutance is edge sharpness and resolution is a measure of detail.  Everything is more in-focus, less diffracted.  A recording of a sustained note from a flute wouldn't exhibit much of a difference in terms of detail, but recordings that have an electronic buzzing sound, for example, where the notes, if put to paper, would have to be described as 1/64th notes or even faster, are greatly improved by an increase in supply voltage to the Stepdance.  These really fast on-again-off-again sounds are much more crisply presented - there's just less smearing of the boundaries between when each note starts and ends.

Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for the movie Inception has many such sections that are rich with detail that just become all the more finely presented when the Stepdance is outputting higher voltages (more watts) to the LCD-2s.

But an even more pronunced improvement (again for my ears, my hardware), is the increase in dynamic range that can be heard with recordings like Rickover's Dream from Michael Hedges album, Aerial Boundaries.  There are instants of startling impact, where the forceful plucking of guitar strings are already stunning with the Stepdance operating at 8.4-Volts (internal LiPo battery), but when I switch to 15-Volts, these moments that call for a lot of power go from being a dog that barks to a dog that bites.  The signal is just unleashed - presented without constraint, with what are surely accuracies of signal amplitude in addition to accuracies of frequency, that just aren't available with fewer watts.

I genuinely understand now, why it's said that having more watts at your disposal isn't about playing at higher volumes.  I can only imagine what a truly powerful (15-Watts RMS per channel) amp like the Leben CS-300SX (or whatever it's called) must sound like. 

I'm not going to go anywhere near trying to describe soundstage and imaging differences, if any, because frankly, I'm not sure I even understand those terms yet, much less how to make comparisons of such attributes.

Ugh - I'm such an engineer.  I hate writing about abstracts like this.  I'm going to hit the Submit button and try not to look back.

Mike

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #1,194 of 3,070
Mike.
As per usual your knack of Explaining things to non techy folk is amazing. What you describe is what I have experienced with the step up from 8.4 to 12.. I can't wait to hear the step from 12-15v!

Thank you so much again!

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,198 of 3,070

I'm not interested for myself, but let me clarify what you're offering by asking...

Are you selling the following items as a bundle?

1) Energizer XP8000 with complete package contents except for the Media Tips NB04, NB05, and NB06 (NB05 is needed for 12-Volt operation of Stepdance.)

2) XPAL Willy Cable WI15 (15V regulator that plugs into the XP8000 19-Volt jack)

3) PowerStream Slip-On Barrel Connector Assortment (7 pieces, including the one that allows the WI15 cable to be connected to Stepdance)

Thanks,

Mike

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,199 of 3,070

I'm not interested for myself, but let me clarify what you're offering by asking...

Are you selling the following items as a bundle?

1) Energizer XP8000 with complete package contents except for the Media Tips NB04, NB05, and NB06 (NB05 is needed for 12-Volt operation of Stepdance.)

2) XPAL Willy Cable WI15 (15V regulator that plugs into the XP8000 19-Volt jack)

3) PowerStream Slip-On Barrel Connector Assortment (7 pieces, including the one that allows the WI15 cable to be connected to Stepdance)

Thanks,

Mike

I'm selling the XP8000 with complete everything except NB04 and NB06 (NB05 included), the Willy Cable, and all 7 slip on connectors as a package for $150 shipped
I'm also selling the Stepdance for $360 shipped
Both for $470 shipped.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #1,200 of 3,070
Girls Generation.

I'm surprised that you're selling your Stepdance when you requested my spare silver Solo case specifically to colour match with the amp. 

Incidentally, does anyone know how long the replacement XP8000 tips take to arrive from Taiwan?

Cheers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back