Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #1,111 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so since i just got the latest shippment of the d1 does that mean i already have a Jan 5670W tube inside? i dont want to open it up and look yet, lil too busy for tinkering around with it, just curious on whats in there so i know what im listening too

Congrats on the purchase. It should be similar my XS Dac-01 you tried with your headphones at the OC meet. Hope you enjoy it.

If you asked for the JAN 5670 tube when you ordered (I think it's an additional cost) then it should be installed. If you just ordered the stock Mav I believe it's the Chinese tube inside. BTW, If you are just using headphones then you are listening to Solid State. I tried the JAN tube feeding my power amp and I must admit I find the SS output better for my taste. I would recommend connecting the SS Pre-out to your Bravo for headphones.

What are you using as a source ?

Best,
Guy

Hope this helps,
Guy

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #1,112 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the purchase. It should be similar my XS Dac-01 you tried with your headphones at the OC meet. Hope you enjoy it.

If you asked for the JAN 5670 tube when you ordered (I think it's an additional cost) then it should be installed. If you just ordered the stock Mav I believe it's the Chinese tube inside.y

I paid $20 extra when I ordered mine with the upgraded NOS 5670 GE tube, shameless plug/pics here.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #1,113 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually looking into the Tung-Sol 2C51. How does it sound compared to a stock and ge tubes? Im trying to justify the tungsol for 90 a pair
frown.gif

couldnt compare to chinesse stock cuz i got my mav with upgrated one but from a research i know that tung-sol made one of the best tubes. its still burning in but to my ears it sounds better than GE already . read that there is even a better replacement TESLA but rare and expensive to get. bought 10 of them tung-sols on ebay and im selling 6 of them also on ebay if anyone is interested. im holding to 3 spare ones in case if i or one of my freinds get another d1.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,114 of 2,660
I got some Tung Sol 5670's off of eBay for around 20.00 each. they look a bit fuuny in the amp because they are about 25% shorter in height from the stock tubes.

Spanky,

I'll post some PIC's later of all three with thier tops. I was going to put some Oak sides on but was concerned about the heat from the power transformer being so near to the left side.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #1,115 of 2,660
ajuztam, could u pm me a link to your ebay sale?

I would mind having one of these to try. I hear they can be thin sounding tho but you never know. I also just picked up 2 raytheon windmill getters and 2 of the.. actually on second thought ill tell you guys about the other 2 after the auction goes through
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,116 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice post Fireson

Curious about your impression on the LM Ericsson vs the jan tube. I used the LT1364 in the tube out and just recently switched to the opa627au and may stick with those. The sound with either opamp seems recessed so Im wondering if the LM Ericsson 2C51 could make the sound more open for me. Just so were clear you tested the ericsson from the tube out or the headphone amp?

Muad thanks, I tested it out of the tube pre, I have not rolled the Jan yet as I originally had the stock chinese tube and am giving the Ericsson as much burn in as possible and would like to listen to a wider variety of music before making my mind up.
I imagine your phones will make a difference to the sound also and the Shures have a slight rep for being forward also so I worried about the combo with this dac but the opamps seem to have reduced most of that problem.

I have been reluctant to plug the Shures into the headphone out until I can check the DC offset in the rolled opamp as I cant afford to replace them!! As such I have been A/Bing between my Denons tube pre and the direct button for DAC sound. Will do so soon though and post any findings.

Interestingly I note people saying the tube preouut is hot but it is lower in volume tha my denon with the DAC only and I usually have to crank it up a notch or three when cahnging back to tube pre out.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #1,118 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish there was a way to arch the tube upwards and make it stick out the box. I don't use the tube out atm but I think it would be awesome to just stare at the tube as it lights up.

there is always a way of doing sth. this doesnt seem to be a hard task. just some tools and skills.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,119 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajuztam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is always a way of doing sth. this doesnt seem to be a hard task. just some tools and skills.

Well there is a way but I lack the tools. My sheet metal cutting skills are not the greatest either, making an angled adapter would be the easiest part for me. (something I could remove if I decided to seriously use the tube).

Though if I did replace the top cover I would probably get it brushed so it can match the front.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #1,120 of 2,660
im kinda interested in buying the Maverick but im not sure.How does this compare to a little dot DAC II?the difference i see is in price and the amount of inputs and outputs.i dont know about the performance of each.Maverick seems best for bang for buck.i plan on buying for computer use.i use k702 headphones.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #1,121 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullettactics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im kinda interested in buying the Maverick but im not sure.How does this compare to a little dot DAC II?the difference i see is in price and the amount of inputs and outputs.i dont know about the performance of each.Maverick seems best for bang for buck.i plan on buying for computer use.i use k702 headphones.

Couldn't give you a subjective difference, but the Little Dot II looks more configurable.(I don't mean the internals) The display that I assume shows output sample rate is nice.

Though I don't think it has swappable opamps so any change in this would require solder work. Regardless it comes with highly regarded opamps, and the dac looks a little more advanced.

The D1 is a new product so i am sure even more features will be added as the device becomes more advanced. To be honest I am happy my D1, and I don't think you will regret going either way.

If you are going the USB route the little dot might have a real usb driver which would allow for bit-perfect audio out of vista.(I am using coax)

This is assuming you are only using the headphone output. The D1 is definitely a great value though even if you only use the headphone output.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,123 of 2,660
Does the pre-amp out sound significantly tube-y? I was thinking of using the iBasso D10 as an amp from the D1 and I want a taste of a tube amp
happy_face1.gif

Also, I found a GE 5670 tube on eBay for a little less than $9. Would this be about the same as the extra $20 dollar option from Maverick?

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,124 of 2,660
One thing about "Tubing" is that the results are very subjective. I don't find the tube pre-out to be that much "Tubier" than the Headphone out, but that's stock tubes so you can't know until you try.

Although it's an upgrade from the stock, There are many tubes better than the GE 5670. The Mullard, Tung Sol, and Telefunkens are more tubey and not that much more if you shop around and as you need only one, they are easier to find than "Matched Sets"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back