Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #1,097 of 2,660
I have had the Maverick D1 since December and changed the stock tube recently for an LM Ericsson 2C51 which I obtained for the princely sum of £5 in UK money. I also changed the opamps yesterday for the lm4562 and lt1364.

The vocals on the stock tube sounded pretty recessed as well as some roll off on the upper mids, I have around 30-40 hours on the Ericsson with a much more vibrant if slightly forward vocal sound but the soundstage sounded narrower and there was less separation on some tracks until I rolled the opamps.

Initial impressions since rolling the opamps are improved soundstage width, separation of instruments and vocals and a more balanced sound overall. This has been initially using my Shure HD840`S through my Denon UDM 300 integrated receiver/CD trying both the solid state and tube pre out. I found some percussion on the solid state hard to listen to prior to rolling the opamps but am now very happy with the solid state sound.

Acoustic and some rock guitar sounds from some familiar tracks have also improved with the change in opamps, I have the Jan GE 5670W to roll and a TESLA 6CC42 on its way to try in the tube as I am not 100% convinced by the Ericsson on female vocals or bass response as yet though will give it further burn in time.

I had to give up my kit 4 years ago with the advent of kids but badly missed my music at night when they are in bed so invested in the Maverick and Shures having previously owned some decent mid to high end hifi over the past 20 years. The only previous phones I owned were some Sennheiser HD480`S which got `lost` a few years back and saw little use in my last system which was about £1500-2000 pounds worth of quality kit including Arcam, Cyrus and Ruark.

I can`t really make a comparison with that kit as its like comparing apples with oranges but lets say I have a smile on my face again and have not been disappointed in what I got for the money.Looking forward to reading on about improvements and tweaks on the Mav though enjoying it for what it is at the moment.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #1,098 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaluss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you make the plexiglass cover yourself? Now I want to do the same.
wink.gif

I got a sheet of Plexi-glass ( Lexan) from Home Depot and used my table saw to cut it to size. I run velcro across the top four corners and simply attach it with the velcro. There should be enough gap in the velcro for heat discipation.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #1,100 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a sheet of Plexi-glass ( Lexan) from Home Depot and used my table saw to cut it to size. I run velcro across the top four corners and simply attach it with the velcro. There should be enough gap in the velcro for heat discipation.

You peaked my interest when you first brought that up but in this post it sounds like you left the cover on, put velcro on top of the metal case and then put plexiglass on top? If so, may I ask why? I thought you took the cover off, used a sheet of plexiglass and used the 4 hex screws on the top to screw it down, that's what got me excited. That way I could cut holes for the HDAM's, have better ventilation and not void the warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #1,101 of 2,660
I just got my opamp order from Digikey. Now that I've popped the top off the unit, I see that there are 2 LF353N devices (U5 near the tube and U6 near the side edge of the board). Browsing back through this monstrous thread, I found one reference to putting the LT1364 near the tube (for DAC use) and putting the LM4562 in the headphone amp (near the edge of the board?). Can someone please confirm these assumptions (LT1364 to U5 and LM4562 to U6)?

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #1,104 of 2,660
Ah, I should probably get more specific with the U5 and U6. In short, it doesn't really matter which goes where, just a preference of sound. Lot of people including myself like the 1364 in the DAC and 4562 in the HP amp. I'll update the thread a bit with some more info and specifics. Sorry about that
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,105 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed, dhl shipping was extremely fast for me as well, and the crazy customs that Canadian borders charge ended up being 8 something, i was so happy i tipped the guy 5 bux

Damn, mine shipment from DHL does not have any update since Wednesday. It sits in New York somewhere. Not impressed with DHL. Does not looks like I'm going to get it this long weekend. I have to endure a few more days of listening HD650 directly out of Squeezebox headphone output.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #1,106 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You peaked my interest when you first brought that up but in this post it sounds like you left the cover on, put velcro on top of the metal case and then put plexiglass on top? If so, may I ask why? I thought you took the cover off, used a sheet of plexiglass and used the 4 hex screws on the top to screw it down, that's what got me excited. That way I could cut holes for the HDAM's, have better ventilation and not void the warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

I should have clarified, For the Compass and Zero I only needed to place a plexiglass square on top in place of the original covers as they have sides on them after the top is removed, but for the Maverick I had to put plexiglass on both sides as well as the top to safely enclose the box.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #1,107 of 2,660
nice post Fireson

Curious about your impression on the LM Ericsson vs the jan tube. I used the LT1364 in the tube out and just recently switched to the opa627au and may stick with those. The sound with either opamp seems recessed so Im wondering if the LM Ericsson 2C51 could make the sound more open for me. Just so were clear you tested the ericsson from the tube out or the headphone amp?

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #1,108 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have clarified, For the Compass and Zero I only needed to place a plexiglass square on top in place of the original covers as they have sides on them after the top is removed, but for the Maverick I had to put plexiglass on both sides as well as the top to safely enclose the box.

Pics?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm thinking of doing the same thing except just leaving the sides off and adding a few personal touches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back