Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #3,452 of 6,783
Bass is still a too much, but the other freq seem great... Treble might be too recessed though I'm not too sure.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #3,453 of 6,783
Bass is still a too much, but the other freq seem great... Treble might be too recessed though I'm not too sure.

What's your current config again?

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #3,454 of 6,783
What's your current config again?
Right now I'm messingn with Ryan (modulor)'s idea of putting tape over the hole and using a pin to widen it little by little. Works OK.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #3,455 of 6,783
  (2)
Left Earcup: that wire was shorter inside this pair than in the previous set I opened up.  Had to be very careful.  Had to rotate the chrome plate/perforated grill coupling to be able to get them out of the way and stand them up on edge without unduly stressing that wire.  

Ha, so the wires are different lengths between headphones! That explains why I'm always freaking out about how careful I have to be with it but the rest of you didn't seem all that concerned. What you are having to do there is exactly what I have to do. I am amazed and thankful that I haven't broken that wire yet after all of my forays.

[Will try to post pictures later.]

Soundstage is more voluminous and 3-dimensional.  
Bass is fuller and warmer, not bloated [but could stand to be just a shade more taut].
Midrange is more developed; vocals are chestier/throatier.
Treble is more open and better differentuated, e.g. with massed strings [but could stand to be just a tad more transparent] .
Textures, overall--treble, midrange and bass--are more dense, with a better sense of both macro- and micro-dynamics.
Tones are sweeter, rounder and fuller, adding a further layer of differentiability to instruments/vocals.
Localization in space of various instruments/performers is more pinpoint.

I will say that I think there is a slight trade-off in absolute transparency with either of the mods I have tried so far [Lors' MIKROSHEARTHRUBASS and this one--still in progress].  Some of that gossamer/spiderweb-like connectivity is lost [a plus for the stock configuration].  But the significant gains, I think, come about in added bass warmth and heft, improved tonal density/truer timbre, improved sense of dynamics and a larger, more open and more cleanly differentiated soundstage. 

That sounds very nice. I would use a lot of that to describe what I'm hearing out of my config as well. You are fortunate that you have a stock pair to do your comparos with.

After reading the last string of posts between Lors, Wayne and Nim, I may make the following adjustments:
(a)  replace faux-chamois with real chamois or deerskin [soft-side up]
(b)  put fiberloft or very open/transparent acoustic fabric directly over the Rabbit Hole
(c)  maybe introduce incrementally small amounts of Tacky here and there.

Also, have been auditioning with the Auvio cable, which is comparatively bright alongside the ET-4 or the Teds custon UPOCC silver.  So I will have to do some more auditioning using other cables together with the latest mods.

Playing with the hole and different materials to cover it sure makes a huge amount of difference from what I'm hearing. For now I'm going to stick with the elastoplast bandaid material since it is sounding so good for me (and the fewer times I play with that left driver the better!). But once I get my hands on some dynamat, I'll probably try replacing the leather and stuff in the cups with it (and on the drivers) like Darknet did.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,457 of 6,783
This modding thing sucks. Once you've started, it's hard to stop. Becomes obsessive. They sound awesome right now, so why am I resisting the urge to open them up again??? Who's idea was this in the first place? Damn you Maxx134! 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,458 of 6,783
This modding thing sucks. Once you've started, it's hard to stop. Becomes obsessive. They sound awesome right now, so why am I resisting the urge to open them up again??? Who's idea was this in the first place? Damn you Maxx134! :wink:  
+1

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #3,459 of 6,783
Maxx is orbiting...Wayne, go find another pair...your current pair is going up the WALL of FLAME :p

Endcode...u tweaking the wires? i havent opened up my can since i hit my sweetspot. 
maybe someone can take a look on next grand opening. 

https://soundcloud.com/chicagosymphony

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,460 of 6,783
Honestly my problem is making the drivers match. It seems whenever I get one freq right, the bass or treble or mids aren't matched up.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,461 of 6,783
Lol! I think that we need to organize a worldwide Mikros 90's modding meet!

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,462 of 6,783
Honestly my problem is making the drivers match. It seems whenever I get one freq right, the bass or treble or mids aren't matched up.

Huh, that's interesting. I had extreme mismatch after I took off the cover holes.... waaayyyy more bass in the left driver. The right driver has something in it that you can see, but from what I could tell my left driver didn't, so I figured that I somehow removed the stuff from the left driver and that was causing the imbalance. My theory goes askew though because Lors's picture of his left driver also shows nothing in it. So I don't know what's going on. All I know is that the imbalance was there, and I had to do this to get it fixed:

I have no idea if this is also your issue though.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,463 of 6,783
30hz and lower is stronger in left driver and treble peaks are more apparent in the left driver as well. It also sometimes seems that vocals are ever so slightly geared to the left side, but not all the time (when running in mono).

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,465 of 6,783

Huh, that's interesting. I had extreme mismatch after I took off the cover holes.... waaayyyy more bass in the left driver. The right driver has something in it that you can see, but from what I could tell my left driver didn't, so I figured that I somehow removed the stuff from the left driver and that was causing the imbalance. My theory goes askew though because Lors's picture of his left driver also shows nothing in it. So I don't know what's going on. All I know is that the imbalance was there, and I had to do this to get it

Nothing bolted out of my left driver... to my ( aged ) hearing. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back