Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #3,481 of 6,783
  Honestly, I just wish the mod didn't give it a super mid-bass hump. It's really too much..the punch is so much to the point that it distracts me from the real music even if it isn't bleeding into the mids etc

You're not a basshead, then.
Because that is what "they" seem to crave.
You can ameliorate that midbass crush with a (a) strip of open cell foam in the earcup atop a slightly wider strip of chamois directly beneath the Rabbit Hole, (b) no heavy felt at the bottom of the earcup, (c) no Blue-Tak and (d) some Dynamat on the driver housing.
Midbass still comes up, but sans pile-driver slam, and plays more of a supporting role.
But agreed, this mod produces a slightly different balance compared to the stock configuration, specifically targeting the mids and generating a larger soundstage.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,482 of 6,783
  Honestly, I just wish the mod didn't give it a super mid-bass hump. It's really too much..the punch is so much to the point that it distracts me from the real music even if it isn't bleeding into the mids etc

doctorjazz,
Are you reading this?
smile_phones.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,483 of 6,783
You can ameliorate that midbass crush with a strip of open cell foam directly beneath the hole, no heavy felt at the bottom of the earcup and some dynamat on the driver housing.
Midbass still comes up, sans pile-driver slam, and plays more of a supporting role.

Yeah, definitely not.
Any tips on the imbalance?... really ridiculous tbh

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3,484 of 6,783
You can ameliorate that midbass crush with a (a) strip of open cell foam in the earcup directly beneath the hole, (b) no heavy felt at the bottom of the earcup, (c) no Blue-Tak and (d) some Dynamat on the driver housing.
Midbass still comes up, but sans pile-driver slam, and plays more of a supporting role.
But agreed, this mod produces a slightly different balance compared to the stock configuration, specifically targeting the mids and generating a larger soundstage.

I'm fine with that part, but it's ridiculous how sensitive the hole is that it would be impossible to replicate everything precisely enough to balance the two channels. Like What.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #3,485 of 6,783
Putting the open cell foam over both holes fixed the BASS imbalance almost perfectly but the vocals and only the vocals are much geared toward the left channel.

This mod is stupid... too many problems with it

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,486 of 6,783
  ...I think I pushed that "thing" in far into that hole when using the pin....damn
Dunno if that matters

Quote:
Hmm...the left side also has it. Maybe I should "even it out" by doing that to it too? lol

This is a pic that Lors supplied of his left side driver. It's kinda hard to tell if his has it or not:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/3270#post_10338521

This is a pic of my left driver:

And again, here's the right driver hold for comparison:

Because the wire is so short, it is hard for me to get a better shot of the hole (without breaking the wire), but so far as I can tell, my left driver doesn't have it.

At any rate, my left driver was producing significantly more bass than my right driver (also to the point where it was distracting). And doing that "partial covering up of the hole with label" mod did indeed even it out to my ears.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3,487 of 6,783
Now everything but the mids are balanced... What (after covering just a part of the hole with some tape)

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3,488 of 6,783

very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #3,489 of 6,783
I almost give up. This is stupid. Bass is perfectly balanced, then mids are completely ****ed up. If I cover up the left with more tape, the bass dies down but the mids are still just as imbalanced as before.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3,491 of 6,783
  I'm not enjoying the Mikros 90 as much as everyone here. It's just missing something in the sound, and is uncomfortable.

$50 if anyone wants it (or as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th pair)

Honestly, I might be up to doing the same... will see if I can get this right first though. Maybe some other people are just better at modding than me? IDK

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,492 of 6,783
  I'm not enjoying the Mikros 90 as much as everyone here. It's just missing something in the sound, and is uncomfortable.

$50 if anyone wants it (or as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th pair)

If you were in Canned land and shipping wasn't $35, I'd be all over that.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,493 of 6,783
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,494 of 6,783
  I almost give up. This is stupid. Bass is perfectly balanced, then mids are completely ****ed up. If I cover up the left with more tape, the bass dies down but the mids are still just as imbalanced as before.

Are you using that Tone Generator app to determine this, or just your ears?

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,495 of 6,783

Are you using that Tone Generator app to determine this, or just your ears?

Both. Also using just music as well as mono setting for my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back