Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 9, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #3,436 of 6,783
I have some microspore tape sitting here... I am tempted to try it. It seems very...porous....and transparent.
Edit: Not transparent enough haha. No bass again. Literally none.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #3,437 of 6,783

Foam? I was talking about the foam in my post above (the donuts). What felt? I have a feeling the grill cloth from my he-500 is EXACTLY what would be perfect for covering the hole slightly...

ok , tune according to your gut feel.. no hard n fast rule...its a wild wild west.. what works for your ears is BEST :)  ENJOY..its fun Modding !

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,438 of 6,783
What's working for me are Lors mods + elastoplast over the holes + stock cable (through c3 dap + c&c bh amp). Yes indeed.

ok great.. filter the HOLE if it works for u...i rather leave it open..with reference to my ipad, 
on my homesetup, i use the stockcable+ultrasone ext cable to add a little fullness to the sound. 

Gud job guys.. lets hit some MUSIC..n DANCE !!

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3,439 of 6,783
I think i almost got it. I put some very plush foam and packed it in to where it pressed against the hole. It didn't really decrease the bass much, but the other frequencies don't seem as recessed / hollow as before. Bass is still BARELY too much for me. I will try more things.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3,440 of 6,783
Ooo this is definitely good. The mids are so lush, soundstage and imaging are much better, bass isn't overpowering or bloomy, treble is extended and not sibilant or anything. Ooo me likey.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #3,441 of 6,783
Ooo this is definitely good. The mids are so lush, soundstage and imaging are much better, bass isn't overpowering or bloomy, treble is extended and not sibilant or anything. Ooo me likey.

Sounds like a healthy baby..congrats !!

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #3,442 of 6,783
I ended up modding my original, fully broken in pair last night.  On the new (third) pair that I opened, I have to extend/slide the cups about an extra 1/2" down along the tubes compared to my original pair.  They seem to fit better, too, that way, so I decided to mod the originals and let these new ones become my "stock" references.  Also noteworthy is the fact that I prefer LESS GIVE in the memory foam pads that a brand new pair seems to offer.  After break-in, the foam seems to relax, which I feel de-optimizes the fit for me.  I would like to try some denser memory foam for the earpads in the future [as part of a more thorough modding scheme].

A few things:
(1)
The newest/3rd pair sounded completely innocuous straight out of the box: NO bass; confused, bright and congested mids and treble; puny soundstage.  [Never had a stock pair sound this radically different from a fully developed pair before.]  After about 20 hours these were really beginning to sing--sounding even "better"(?), I thought [scratching my head] than my original stock pair.  So, between the better fit and the way these newest ones were opening up, I took apart my original pair.  

(2)
Left Earcup: that wire was shorter inside this pair than in the previous set I opened up.  Had to be very careful.  Had to rotate the chrome plate/perforated grill coupling to be able to get them out of the way and stand them up on edge without unduly stressing that wire.  

(3)
Removed the Rabbit Hole covers, this time intact.

(4)
Put a dynamat strip, about 1/2" x 1/4", on the driver casing, just above the fully open Rabbit Hole.

(5) 
Cut a piece of faux-chamois 30mm x 15mm and double-sided taped it to the bottom of the earcup, centered and aligned along the major axis of the eliptical outline etched into the plastic down there.

(6)
Cut a strip of 3/8" thick open cell foam 2-1/4" long x 7/16" wide and wedged it from top to bottom, also aligned along the major axis of the earcup atop the chamois.

No Blue-Tak was used, except a little dot's-worth to batten down a corner of the chamois.

(7)
Closed up.  The very last screw went in a little weirdly--hopefully it did not get cross-threaded. 

[Will try to post pictures later.]

Soundstage is more voluminous and 3-dimensional.  
Bass is fuller and warmer, not bloated [but could stand to be just a shade more taut].
Midrange is more developed; vocals are chestier/throatier.
Treble is more open and better differentuated, e.g. with massed strings [but could stand to be just a tad more transparent] .
Textures, overall--treble, midrange and bass--are more dense, with a better sense of both macro- and micro-dynamics.
Tones are sweeter, rounder and fuller, adding a further layer of differentiability to instruments/vocals.
Localization in space of various instruments/performers is more pinpoint.

I will say that I think there is a slight trade-off in absolute transparency with either of the mods I have tried so far [Lors' MIKROSHEARTHRUBASS and this one--still in progress].  Some of that gossamer/spiderweb-like connectivity is lost [a plus for the stock configuration].  But the significant gains, I think, come about in added bass warmth and heft, improved tonal density/truer timbre, improved sense of dynamics and a larger, more open and more cleanly differentiated soundstage. 

After reading the last string of posts between Lors, Wayne and Nim, I may make the following adjustments:
(a)  replace faux-chamois with real chamois or deerskin [soft-side up]
(b)  put fiberloft or very open/transparent acoustic fabric directly over the Rabbit Hole
(c)  maybe introduce incrementally small amounts of Tacky here and there.

Also, have been auditioning with the Auvio cable, which is comparatively bright alongside the ET-4 or the Teds custon UPOCC silver.  So I will have to do some more auditioning using other cables together with the latest mods.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,443 of 6,783

Is it part of the headphone then? And is that what that Dynamat will fix? Or are these just THAT revealing?! Explain plsss
:p

They ARE "just THAT" revealing.
I hear microphone and recording room queues with the Mikros 90 that I do not/have not heard on any other headphones.
Dynamat will not make the reverb/echo go away on the recording of Andy Williams' "Moon River" for example.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,444 of 6,783
keep tuning, u will hit your sweetspot sooner or later ...u found chamois in your toolbox? lol
u meant 30mm x 15mm on the chamois?  not centimetres rite :p

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,445 of 6,783
They ARE "just THAT" revealing.
I hear microphone and recording room queues with the Mikros 90 that I do not/have not heard on any other headphones.
Dynamat will not make the reverb/echo go away on the recording of Andy Williams' "Moon River" for example.
I found that out. It's true, it is the recording.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,446 of 6,783
  keep tuning, u will hit your sweetspot sooner or later ...u found chamois in your toolbox? lol
u meant 30mm x 15mm on the chamois?  not centimetres rite :p

mm, right!
Duly noted and corrected.
That's what happens when you mix English and SI units.

I have some small strips of Gabon ebony that I am dying to try out, too.  : )

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,448 of 6,783
  Well, Nim, what do you think of them now?  . . . and they are not even fully ripened with burn-in yet!!

I think they are grrreat...

...in their stock form. 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3,450 of 6,783
They are a different beast that's for sure. Can't say anything too soon so I will remain silent :D someone should try to mod these with woodie cups LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back