Manbag Fetishists, Pace Your Urges: Jack Spade Private Sale, NYC Only
Sep 8, 2006 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
Now, voyager.

Among the items glimpsed:

"Dad" field bags (usually $150) for $65; laptop sleeve/bags for $20 (12"), $25 (15") and $30 (17"); military runner bags (usually $195) for $60; Warren St. leather messenger bags (usually $495) for $185-$225. Also: free Peroni Italian beer, mineral water and soda.

For a look at regular prices, see this page. I could never have afforded a minty defect-free bridle leather field bag without private sales such as this.

I needed a laptop sleeve for my field bag but ended up augmenting same with the sort of posh armwear that Bangraman covets (but for a third of the ordinary cost).

Hint: If you don't see what you want and are sincerely ready to buy, wear them down like Columbo until they locate and produce it out of sheer exasperation.

(BTW: I've seen Jack Spade's offerings at the outlet store in Jersey. This trumps their fare.)

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 18
Has anyone gone? Does anyone plan to go? How serious about superficiality are you foonts?

I might stop by for a last lingering leer this afternoon.

Typically, the best bags are gone by the end of the first day, but a few morsels are often put out on the day for bonus motivation. Additional discounts go into effect as well.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Has anyone gone? Does anyone plan to go?

Is this truly a "private sale" or what?

I probably would have gone yesterday afternoon had I known about it earlier, or at least sent my GF over to check it out during the workday. Previous plans preclude going by today
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Is this truly a "private sale" or what?

Private sales are rarely private (except in the sense that previous customers and mailing list volunteers are their marketing targets).

The doorman who stood outside the Spades' conspicuously orange digs seemed to suggest exclusivity, but of course he let people in without checking any sort of list. After all, the object was to sell manbags and accessories for men, not select participants for an occultists' orgy. I was there from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m., during which time, I counted roughly thirty civilians in attendance.

Oddly, I know where the Spades actually live: twenty-two blocks away from this very orange sale. Their building (and I mean that literally, since they own the entire building) stands opposite the dwellings of a dear friend.

Pity I didn't know about the sale until the night before. Otherwise, I'd have given you more notice.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 18
were the vintage bikes reasonably priced? i passed up a nice pair of baby blue boardwalkers for 300 at a faire earlier this year due to lack of cash (uh, still a problem) but ever since i keep an eye out.

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 18
I made the mistake of going back to buy a chocolate-hued "dad" messenger bag (for gigs involving a laptop with additional equipment) and nearly spent $180 on a stunning chocolate bridle leather "delivery" bag (it has the shape and basic design of the square messenger bag, which was discontinued two years ago, but has a reversible leather strap with steel pivots and is slightly smaller). Unfortunately, I couldn't justify the expense, as a macbook would barely fit inside. Even so, I haven't seen a bag that beautiful (let alone affordable) in quite some time. As nice as they are, the leather bags I own already can't compare.

I forgot to look at the bikes, even though I made a mental note to look for your sake. On the nether hind, I doubt you'd have wanted to hear you missed your chance to buy spiffed wheels on the cheap.

However, you might want to have a leer at this bike shop, which is running a sale as I type:
www.nycvelo.com
64 2nd Ave. (at 4th St.)
(212) 253-7771

I also passed a retro and import game store at this address:

www.videogamesnewyork.com
202 E 6th Street (off 3rd St.)

If you find yourself fiending for a pink DS Lite, or a Japanese iteration of a hoary Sega 32X, look no further.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 18
Man...I wish I was in NY. But then again, I still have my Field Bag and Utility Bag to hold me over.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 18
I like to call this type of accessory a "Murse". Note that, "Murse" can also be used in describing a male nurse.

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 18
i had a Jack Spade messenger bag, and i have to give fair warning: it was very poorly made.

the thing started falling apart after about 9 months of ownership. i do use my bags every day, but i don't abuse them. and while the canvas fabric itself is quite strong, the seams are not well sewn and do not age well. the strap is especially vulnerable, freeing itself gradually from the bag and rendering it useless.

i recommend looking elsewhere. i now use a Jost bag, from Germany, and couldn't be happier with the workmanship. not to mention, you don't see it everywhere now, like with the Jack Spade bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back