Manbag Fetishists, Pace Your Urges: Jack Spade Private Sale, NYC Only
Sep 11, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i had a Jack Spade messenger bag, and i have to give fair warning: it was very poorly made. . . . i recommend looking elsewhere. i now use a Jost bag, from Germany, and couldn't be happier with the workmanship. not to mention, you don't see it everywhere now, like with the Jack Spade bags.

While I don't doubt your experience, mine refuses to correspond. Even my first Jack Spade bag, which has been abused endlessly, is completely intact and shows no signs of falling apart despite years of heartless beatings. I also have friends who own Spade bags, none of whom has experienced the shoddiness of which you complain. It's also worth noting that the Spade store does repairs. I've never needed one, personally, but it's a good option for people who live in NYC: the equivalent of a warranty.

However, certain Jack Spade bags at outlet stores do seem rather flawed. (They also cost far less.)

Nearly all of the discounted bags I considered at the private sale were as well made as the ones sold in the official SoHo store. The chocolate journal bag was as finely constructed as any mid-to-high-end fare I've seen to date.

Still: If ever I have an experience like yours, I'll remember what you've said and report my corroborative findings here.

Regarding Spadean ubiquity: Part of the point of going to private sales is the ability to pick up bags one doesn't see everywhere. The chocolate leather square bag variant I ogled is a one-off and won't be made again. My latest leather bag, which cost less than a third of what it does at the store, is far too expensive in real life to be seen everywhere around town. (If you want to experience true ubiquity, go to Munich and count the Josts.)

Still, I have to compliment your taste in mentioning Jost: An excellent rec for Brits. If I could find the sorts of deals and variety in Jost fare that I do in the sales of New-York-based designers, then I'd put out the word. Until then, I'll content myself with applauding your shoulder accessorizing from afar.

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #17 of 18
If I was in NYC, I'd be all over this sale. I wouldn't have minded picking up a few items to hold my gears

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 18
Having never heard of Jack Spade until recently (justifiably since Europe has a glut of superior leather/bagworkers) I was pretty intrigued that the US is capable of turning out something as intrinsically tasteful as the Spade wares.

Talking about what I covet, regarding laptop sleeves I have swung from the suavely professional to the sublimely ridiculous. My Macbook Pro shall be sheathed in this shortly.
http://www.barrysfarm.com/index.php?p=36

To compensate however, I have commissioned Swaine Adeney for a new 'casual bag'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back