Make the Pledge-- Be a "Beard-O"...
Jun 25, 2008 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
After 25 years of shaving, I've decided I'm just going to stop. I've had enough.
tongue.gif

That's right, no more shaving away the potential scruff/fuzz that might grow up to be a proper full-fledged beard.

Will it be full and thick?

Or, will it be thin and fuzzy?

What color will it be? Like you, I'm a mutant. I have blonde-brown hair (with pre-maturely gray streaks). But a hastily grown goatee from my twenties revealed my ginger red-haired roots.

So, whatever the result, I'm going to do it. I've always wondered what I'd look like with a beard and now I'm going to find out before its too late and I'm locked into one look. Do you ever wonder if this is the haircut you will be buried in? Let it go, and grow that beard, you know you've always wanted to know what you'd look like.

Will it be ZZ Top long or just enough to get a glimpse of what I'd look like?

Not sure, but I'm also leaning toward letting my hair also grow out long, just to see what I'd look like with the full "Jesus" make-over. In my early twenties, I grew my mop out and it was way too much hair contained in too small a space. Now, I may just try it again.

So, who's with me? Will you reject what society expects you to do and grow your beard out?

Dudes, you've got one life. Maybe you were born to have a beard, and not be clean-shaven? How will you know unless you try one?

(P.S. If I decide I don't look right, I reserve every right to shave it off!)

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 96
I have tried this.

I am 21, and I cannot put up with the itching after about 2 weeks.

However, I look pretty rugged with a beard, and I get a lot of compliments about it, but it itches so damn much.

good luck, enjoy it.

If someone finds a way to combat the itching, or knows of one that they use please tell us!

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 96
I've been a beard-o for some thirty years, I just trim it closer than I used to, and it's grayer than it used to be. I like a man with a beard.

Laz

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a beard-o for some thirty years, I just trim it closer than I used to, and it's grayer than it used to be. I like a man with a beard.

Laz

Men with beards FTW!
wink.gif

I grow out my beard every now and again, when I'm feeling low and I need a manly boost. I can never quite make a full box though, my moustache is a seperate beast and has never been shaven (only trimmed, very lightly).

Also, no effort required!

redface.gif

EK

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 96
God didn't bless me with enough testosterone to grow a beard
frown.gif
Heck, I don't even have side-burns no joke, but I can grow a faint sew-patch, goatee, and mustache. My hair is kind of weird as well, I have brown hair with black eyebrows and facial hair.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 23. I wish I could grow a full face of hair. I can't. Even a full goatee would do.

Hmm, I'm running my fingers through my goatee right now...

I would post a picture but all you'd see is thick, black mass, gripping the edge of a chocolate precipice.

wink.gif

EK

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 96
I come from a long line of Sasquatch. I can grow a very thick and full beard in about 2 weeks but I don't because it bugs the crap out of me. I keep a neatly trimmed goatee instead. Sure, shaving sucks, but I feel like a skeeze when I haven't shaved for a week.
eek.gif

Good luck to you markl...I bet you shave it off after a month!!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 96
Gotta say, middle of summer is probably not the ideal time to try out a beard.

I've had a goatee on and off since college days when the rest didn't grow in so well, but went full beard last 2-3 years. It's nice. Still keep it trim and there is no worry about looking a hairy weirdo.

I'm struggling to shave once a three days, but I made my commitment to be Beard-No for the summer. But I'm with you in spirit.

Small town round here guys start growing beards on 1st January and then have a regular beard growing contest on St. Patty's day. You might guess there is beer involved. One guy is the beard king. It's a good time.

If you for whatever reason can't make the beard this summer, give it another try once the weather turns cooler. Nothing like not shaving on a cold morning.

Now the first week of shaving after 2 years of beard...that was a painful and degrading experience.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 96
a2703ec2.gif

I'd love to grow a goatee but 1) my wife hates facial hair and 2) I'd have to fill in some spots with eyeliner pencil (I'm Asian).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back