Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6,316 of 48,562
Quote:
I did! I'm telling you... some velours on the D7000 = sell everything else! XD
I don't think I'm being fair to the Pro 900. I'm sure if I heard it before the D7000, I'd be a lot more impressed by it.
This is one of the VERY few closed headphones I have used, that also happen to isolate very well. I guess that is the sacrifice you make. the D7000 isn't what I'd call closed.
I guess open headphones just really are that much more impressive (asides from bass).

Maybe you just try and find an upholsterer or a tailor or something. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #6,317 of 48,562
Maybe something like this but less ugly....

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d7000-headphones/reviews/3791

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #6,319 of 48,562
I'd really like to see an honest assessment between the AD700's and Samsons SR 850. I have both and have used both for quite a bit of gaming and now the AD700's are collecting dust. I mostly play FPS (MW3), but for skyrim and other non-fps games, the Samsons seriously pull ahead of the AD700's.

The thing is, I'm no audiophile so I'd really be interested in a more technical and analytical review from a FPS and gamer perspective, in relation to dolby headphone, between the two - if nothing else, just as a sense check to make sure my own brain isn't fooling me!

So yeah, this is more or less, a request :). Any takers?

-Dirk

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #6,320 of 48,562
Quote:
I'd really like to see an honest assessment between the AD700's and Samsons SR 850. I have both and have used both for quite a bit of gaming and now the AD700's are collecting dust. I mostly play FPS (MW3), but for Skyrim and other non-fps games, the Samsons seriously pull ahead of the AD700's.

The thing is, I'm no audiophile so I'd really be interested in a more technical and analytical review from a FPS and gamer perspective, in relation to Dolby Headphone, between the two - if nothing else, just as a sense check to make sure my own brain isn't fooling me!

So yeah, this is more or less, a request :). Any takers?

-Dirk

I think you just gave an Honest Assessment.
I own both headphone and never use the ATH-AD700s anymore.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #6,321 of 48,562
After reading different reviews for a few hours I think my head is about to explode, so maybe someone can help.

I am looking for a closed headphones for under 60.  don't game competitively so being "fun" is more important.  They will be used for PC gaming and I have a  xonar dg so they will be amped.  

I live in room with noisy roommate so decent isolation is pretty important.  If there is something with less than perfect isolation but is much better than any closed options in that price range , I'm definitely flexible.

thanks!

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #6,322 of 48,562
MLE,

go back to the DT990s. :D It's where I will going now after having removed the desire to get the T90 (which is 600 Dollars here).

Or take the very hard cure:

The only Ultrasone that you will be keeping would be the Signature Pro. That beast would be the best alternative you could get but the price is unforgiving. And once you have it you'll be keeping the D7000 only for the soundstage, if at all.

Anyway, MLE:

Do you think the 600 Ohm Premium version of DT990 justifies the +100 dollars compred to the DT990 Pro? Soundstage, bass, impact etc..

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #6,323 of 48,562
Quote:
After reading different reviews for a few hours I think my head is about to explode, so maybe someone can help.

I am looking for a closed headphones for under 60.  don't game competitively so being "fun" is more important.  They will be used for PC gaming and I have a  xonar dg so they will be amped.  

I live in room with noisy roommate so decent isolation is pretty important.  If there is something with less than perfect isolation but is much better than any closed options in that price range , I'm definitely flexible.

thanks!

used KRK KNS 8400 or used Sony MDR-V6.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #6,324 of 48,562
I don't think the DT990 Pro and Premiums are that different at all. The Premiums however don't have that really strong midbass that the Pros do, which is the biggest reason I prefer the Premiums. The Pros were injecting midbass to things that didn't need it, and its presentation of bass hurt my ears. FWIR, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other owners of the 990 Pros, so YMMV.

I think I rather return the Pro 900 and just not get any headphone for now. I'm still undecided. The Pro 900 needs a lot more testing before I make that decision.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #6,325 of 48,562

thanks!

Besides PurpleAngel's suggestions (I have no head-time with those, but there is plenty of Head-Fi reading material on those), I also found the closed JVC HA-RX700 and HA-RX900 to have a surprisingly pleasing sound signature. If your roommate is so noisy (chatty & thumping music) that it pulls you away from concentrating on your headphones &/or gaming, nothing compares for isolation like IEMs. I have Etymotic ER-6i IEMs, and while they don't have much in the way of soundstage depth or the physical feeling of bass, they are EXTREMELY detail-revealing and directionally pin-point accurate. IEMs aren't for everyone, but it's like putting on a sound-proofed room.

Off Topic: That reminds me, I'll have to listen to Etymotic/EDGE Gaming's holographic sound demo on my AKGs when I get home, before I do my SC test.

Edit: Aw! Etymotic took down their gaming website with demos and whatnot. I was going to try and find for you, thinkdude, the comparative noise isolation of closed headphones vs IEMs. Sorry :frowning2:

I don't think the DT990 Pro and Premiums are that different at all. The Premiums however don't have that really strong midbass that the Pros do, which is the biggest reason I prefer the Premiums. The Pros were injecting midbass to things that didn't need it, and its presentation of bass hurt my ears. FWIR, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other owners of the 990 Pros, so YMMV.
I think I rather return the Pro 900 and just not get any headphone for now.

Good luck.
Seems to be hard for anyone to stay immune to upgradeitis if you continue visiting Head-Fi, where people talk about $200-$300 items being a bargain, and spending $1000 on a whim to get a new sound is just a small matter of selling part of their collection and saving up two paychecks. I'm not knocking the choices of people here, I'm just saying such an attitude has an effect on observers, who then rationalize that they too could squeeze out the high life from their budget. That's why I was absent for two years, until stupid Sennheiser HD202s (and boredom) of all things brought back the itch.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #6,326 of 48,562
Thanks for suggestions so far-- have been reading posts from this forum all week and getting progressively more and more indecisive.

Actually my latest cans were the JVC HA-RX700 which I liked a lot once they were burned in but recently got broken. I am not opposed to getting another pair, just thinking about trying to find something with slightly better isolation, and wanted to hear what kind of suggestions you audio genius's could come up with.  Also just wanted to say thx to Mad Lust Envy for making the definitive gaming headphone thread on the Internet as far as I can tell.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #6,327 of 48,562
Yeah it sure haven't seen a more comprehensive comparative reviews on headphones and optimal listening characteristics than Mad's.

I now think I remember the HA-RX series isn't completely sealed (semi-closed since it is mostly closed?), so PurpleAngel's suggestions and the cheaper options from Mad Lust Envy's guide (the Creative Aurvana Live! comes to mind for your price point) might provide a little better isolation. If you want to mute your roommate who is hollering at the sports on tv or "studying" with his girlfriend, IEMs can be a welcome relief. Mine got a LOT of use during college... helped me stay on task while studying or just wanting to rest.

This isn't what you were asking for, but I think this app I just found looks fascinating: http://www.etymotic.com/awareness/

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #6,328 of 48,562
The CAL isn't great at keeping outside noise in, but it does fine enough keeping sound from leaking out. Seriously, the CAL is a fantastic headphone for those that want bass, the better closed headphone soundstage, and warm, pleasant tone. Think of them as the D7000's baby brother (which they are, as they are essentially the D1001, rebadged and improved slightly.)

I'm again enjoying the Pro 900 again. I really have to keep the D7000 away from my listening sessions.

Just for the hell of it, I did swap again, and now I'm missing the Pro 900's bass! Lol. So yes, the D7000 is better, but there are times when the Pro 900 is immediately more impressive. A quick switch, and the D7000 sounds bright and airy, with a lack of bass. Crazy how your ears need time to adjust. So today, I'm enjoying the Pro 900 more than the D7000. :D

For aggressive D&B, and rock, the Pro 900 is awesome.

Also, I can wear them ALL day. As closed as they are, they cause infinitely less sweat than the D7000. It's crazy. The clamp could stand to be a little more loose, but it's not a big deal.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #6,329 of 48,562
The CAL isn't great at keeping outside noise in, but it does fine enough keeping sound from leaking out. Seriously, the CAL is a fantastic headphone for those that want bass, the better closed headphone soundstage, and warm, pleasant tone. Think of them as the D7000's baby brother (which they are, as they are essentially the D1001, rebadged and improved slightly.)
I'm again enjoying the Pro 900 again. I really have to keep the D7000 away from my listening sessions, so as to not make me miss their sound.

Good luck.

Unfortunately for me, my Yamaha receiver is displaying "Decoder off" and neither I nor customer service can figure this one out. Analogue inputs do work however. Insult to injury I can find the remote anywhere among my stuff, but it should work automatically anyway.

Update: interesting, I think it's the Xbox's fault. I noticed in Settings that it thinks the display is connected via DVI despite the connection being through HDMI. Anybody know how to change this behavior? I've been having display troubles since the last Xbox update.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #6,330 of 48,562
Nah, the trick is that for the day that I wanna use the Pro 900s, not to touch the D7000. if I know I'm gonna have a long session, the Pro 900 is what I'm gonna wear. For shorter sessions, the D7000 is king. Also, the Pro 900 is VERY good for gaming. The issues I have with the Pro 900 are pretty much non-existent when I'm gaming in Dolby headphone. The soundstage opens up a ton, and the spreading of sound makes the mids less recessed.

This is exactly why I need a lot of time with them, to see if the pros outweigh the cons, and they surely do. That bass especially, it'll be hard to replicate such awesomeness with some other cans. Also, the Pro 900 is very picky about the quality of audio. Seriously. It can be quite brutal to less than perfectly mastered audio.

Sorry to hear about your receiver. So you haven't been able to play with Silent Cinema at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back