Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #6,302 of 48,562
Quote:
Great thread, I just received my astro mixamp and zalman mic today and I'm using it with the HD595 and I love it! Because last year I didn't found this thread with all the information(searched in the wrong section on headfi xD) I bought the Tritton's AXPRO but those things really hurt my ears after an hour and were so heavy and uncomfortable.
Will probably also buy the Antlion MODMIC with mute button when it is released! Check out this tweet:

I will be one of the first in line to pick that up then. My biggest hope is that they keep the mounting mechanism the same so I can use the ones already installed on my headphones. I love my modmic but the lack of mute is an inconvenience.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #6,303 of 48,562
I will be one of the first in line to pick that up then. My biggest hope is that they keep the mounting mechanism the same so I can use the ones already installed on my headphones. I love my modmic but the lack of mute is an inconvenience.

So true, really miss a mute button but I hope the price is not too steep(eg $40-$50) because for €100,- I can buy a PC360 with added bonus that I don't have to constantly change the headphone between my PC and PS3.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6,304 of 48,562
Problem is, once you've got a great setup, you realize "Hot-damn, there's nothing easy left to make me a better player but to practice my skill. What a chore!"
Lol.
Mad,
Do you use an adapter at any point with your microphone, or does the Mixamp provide the bridge between mic-only plug and 2.5mm controller jack? Both sizes of microphone plug accommodated?

I take a nap, sorry if you didn't need to know that.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6,305 of 48,562
You have to use the Y-cable that splits the mic and headphone audio to different plugs to be able to hook up a your own mic to the mixamp. Then the mixamp is connected to the xbox controller directly via a 2.5mm interconnect cable.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6,306 of 48,562
Problem is, once you've got a great setup, you realize "Hot-damn, there's nothing easy left to make me a better player but to practice my skill. What a chore!"
Lol.
Mad,
Do you use an adapter at any point with your microphone, or does the Mixamp provide the bridge between mic-only plug and 2.5mm controller jack? Both sizes of microphone plug accommodated?
I take a nap, sorry if you didn't need to know that.

The Mixamp comes with a small 2.5mm to 2.5mm cable that goes from the 360 controller to the Mixamp. the mic itself will go to the y cable supplied, that goes to the Mixamp's headphone/mic jack. For the PS3, the Mixamp Pro's USB will be all you need to get voice chat to your mic, and on the Mixamp 5.8, you need a special usb cable that connects from the Tx unit to the PS3.

I hope you understand... it can be confusing.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6,308 of 48,562
Yeah, my nap powered me up and I understand that the Mixamp has a smartphone style 3-rings-and-a-ground plug with an adapter to make it like a PC's headphone and mic ports. I don't have a PS3, so I don't care much, but do the Mixamps act like an external USB DAC/amp from just the USB connection? Or do you also need an optical/RCA cable plugged in?

I had more typed, but my iPad battery died and forgot my unsubmitted text. Basically, I'm going to crack out my Yamaha tomorrow and do an analysis of how well Silent Cinema (SC) works. I wish I could compare directly to Dolby Headphone, but I don't have the equipment right now. Maybe someday... lend-ies? There is a paucity of objective analysis of SC positional accuracy, and ocomparisons I've seen with DH are all over the board and very subjective, no details from anyone. I think a good controlled test since I own ES:Oblivion will be to walk up to two people having a convo and spin slowly, testing if the speaker comes in view when expected and trying different distances. Is there anything else I should try?

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6,309 of 48,562
The USB DAC is stereo only, and it was never intended for audio use, but for mic use. It can however work with PCs in that way, but again, stereo only.

The Mixamp Pro. Not sure if the 5.8 does USB Dac duties. Can't be arsed to try it out. (My Mixamp setup is tucked away from my PC area).

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6,311 of 48,562
Damn, going from the Pro 900 to the D7000 is sad. Like... it's a MASSIVE leap in SQ. There is absolutely no comparison. NONE. AT ALL. The only thing the Pro 900 does better overall is bass quantity. I hadn't touched my D7000 for days. So I decided to do a quick A/B, having listened to the Pro 900 for plenty of hours today.

There is simply no way anyone could consider the Pro 900 to come close to the D7000. The Pro 900 sounds closed in, muffled, mid recessed, and just outright outclassed by the D7000.

Usually when you jump in from one headphone to the next, the next usually sounds weird because you're accustomed to the sound of the previous headphone. Didn't happen this time. The D7000 just devours the Pro 900 in all aspects but bass. No contest.

Ah well... now I'm not sure I wanna keep the Pro 900. AGH. That is quite disheartening. At least the Q701 had the jump in airyness and mids that trumped the D7000. Since the Pro 900 would be fighting the D7000 in the same genres, with the same strengths, it's very hard to recommend as an alternative to the D7000. Impossible, really. Of course, price is a factor, but damn... it's an ass whooping, if I've ever heard one.

Like, I'm having a hard time putting down the D7000 now.

I mean, the Pro 900 IS my best alternative for whenever I get tired of the pleather in the D7000, but I know in the back of my mind that the Pro 900 is significantly trailing behind. Please don't get me wrong. The pro 900 is a damn good headphone. The D7000 is just an absolute monster next to them though. That being said, I just went back to the Pro 900, and they have their own charm, mainly that sweet, sweet bass. Makes them a guilty pleasure... one that is making me wanna keep them, just barely.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #6,312 of 48,562
I guess that's to be expected when you're going from a $350 headphone to a $650-900 one, and the latter actually earns its pricetag.

It's also likely that the D7000 is the one for you, aside from those pleather pads. In the meantime, you could try cutting up a soft cloth (I don't remember the exact type, but it does feel kind of velour-ish) and attaching it to the D7000's earpads as a sort of ghetto velour alternative, like spacemanspliff did with the SR-Lambda he sold me and with his current SR850. It helps quite a bit, though I'd suggest doing it to a spare set of D7000 pads if you don't want glue or other crap all over them.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #6,313 of 48,562
I need to find something of the sort... all I really want is just a layer of velour that would go over the stock pads, to keep the stock SQ.

Still, I have gone from the DT990, Q701, and other headphones in the >$250 range and still came out impressed overall. The Pro 900 for some reason just didn't impress me. Like, it's a really good headphone, but the fact that it's directly comparable to the D7000 in what it's SUPPOSED to do, it comes up short, like really short. The others have aspects of their sound that please me in ways the D7000 can't. The Pro 900 doesn't have anything that stands out other than bass, which is very prominent, but wonderfully clean and unobtrusive. Still, that's not the makings of an audiophile headphone, which is why it's disappointing. It doesn't do anything to save itself in a comparison. If the D7000 pads didn't bother me after some time, the Pro 900 would have been sent back IMMEDIATELY.

Still, I'll be fair to them and say that outside of a direct comparison, they are good. They would make lots of people happy for general purposes.

I just haven't had a headphone that sounded so congested like the pro 900s in a long time. I think that is the killer. There is no sense of airiness for most music. S-logic doesn't help AT ALL. The DT770s and D7000 sound quite airy in comparison. I was spoiled by the bigger than typical closed soundstages of the D7000/DT770.

That being said, the Pro 900 has really good soundstage in Dolby headphone, which can't be said of other closed headphones like the M50.

Almost makes me wanna go back to the DT990... for the 4th time. :rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #6,314 of 48,562
It really seems that S-Logic either:
  1. Doesn't do anything
  2. Makes people queasy
  3. Gives placebo effect for soundstaging (as a result of the binaural recording CD)

MLE, the Denons clearly do it for you in terms of being not congested. That's great--it's so rare that a closed headphone achieves that. It really looks like you found the holy grail already.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #6,315 of 48,562
I did! I'm telling you... some velours on the D7000 = sell everything else! XD

I don't think I'm being fair to the Pro 900. I'm sure if I heard it before the D7000, I'd be a lot more impressed by it.

This is one of the VERY few closed headphones I have used, that also happen to isolate very well. I guess that is the sacrifice you make. the D7000 isn't what I'd call closed.

I guess open headphones just really are that much more impressive (asides from bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back