Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6,331 of 48,562
Quote:
Good luck.
Unfortunately for me, my Yamaha receiver is displaying "Decoder off" and neither I nor customer service can figure this one out. Analogue inputs do work however. Insult to injury I can find the remote anywhere among my stuff, but it should work automatically anyway.
Update: interesting, I think it's the Xbox's fault. I noticed in Settings that it thinks the display is connected via DVI despite the connection being through HDMI. Anybody know how to change this behavior? I've been having display troubles since the last Xbox update.

The xBox update might have reset the xBox to default settings.
Guess it's time to find that xBox manual and call out the dogs to sniff out that Yamaha remote.
Should be able to download the xBox manual from the Internet.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #6,332 of 48,562
Nah, the trick is that for the day that I wanna use the Pro 900s, not to touch the D7000. if I know I'm gonna have a long session, the Pro 900 is what I'm gonna wear. For shorter sessions, the D7000 is king. Also, the Pro 900 is VERY good for gaming. The issues I have with the Pro 900 are pretty much non-existent when I'm gaming in Dolby headphone. The soundstage opens up a ton, and the spreading of sound makes the mids less recessed.
This is exactly why I need a lot of time with them, to see if the pros outweigh the cons, and they surely do. That bass especially, it'll be hard to replicate such awesomeness with some other cans. Also, the Pro 900 is very picky about the quality of audio. Seriously. It can be quite brutal to less than perfectly mastered audio.
Sorry to hear about your receiver. So you haven't been able to play with Silent Cinema at all?

I think I just figured it out! I turned on then off Display Discovery on the Xbox, and suddenly the console realized it isn't plugged in to a DVI cable. I have sound! The decoder info displays PCM, and I turned on the "Action Game" CinemaDSP because I remember reading you have to enable one of the DSP settings to get silent cinema. Seems to be adequately powering the Q701.

WOW IT'S DEFINITELY WORKING! I tried it in stereo when the Xbox was being Bleh, and now the directional AND distance cues are spot on! My last save happened to be in the arena training room, so conveniently I have an Orc hacking away and another guy shooting arrows. I can hear the sound move porportunate to where I go... This is awesome! Too bad it took almost 2 and a half hours to set up and get working, lol, but the results seem worth it.

Do you have any specific questions while I'm listening to this?

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #6,334 of 48,562
Not sure, I'll have to try SC at some point in my life, lol.

Lol I guess I ought to hear Dolby Headphone if I get the chance, but right now don't care.

I think the standard movie DSPs have less echo...

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #6,335 of 48,562
That's all that matters. I'm willing to bet SC and DH are two sides of the same coin anyway. The Beyer Headzone (costing as much as it does), was very similar sounding to Dolby Headphone, just cleaner. Surround emulation was very close. Plus, you gain the added benefit of possibly being able to use SC with DTS (not sure of this), where the Mixamp does not. This gives me grief to no end, as I have a perfectly functional PS3 with many games that support DTS... not to mention most Blu-Rays only use DTS. :frowning2:

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #6,336 of 48,562
That's all that matters. I'm willing to bet SC and DH are two sides of the same coin anyway. The Beyer Headzone (costing as much as it does), was very similar sounding to Dolby Headphone, just cleaner. Surround emulation was very close. Plus, you gain the added benefit of possibly being able to use SC with DTS (not sure of this), where the Mixamp does not. This gives me grief to no end, as I have a perfectly functional PS3 with many games that support DTS... not to mention most Blu-Rays only use DTS. :frowning2:

Well I was thinking I'd try to sell this Yamaha and get a Denon, well that's what I thought till I read about silent cinema. If you figure how much more versatile this receiver is than an Audioengine N22 and the nice way it's driving these difficult headphones, I think I got a really good deal. I'd comment on the amp improvement except all I can say is everything is amazingly crisp and hefty.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #6,337 of 48,562
I think only OLDER Denon receivers have Dolby Headphone. Not sure. I know Harman-Kardon has some too.

The Q701 sounds different on practically everything you hook it up to, so experiment away. XD

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #6,338 of 48,562
Quote:
Lol I guess I ought to hear Dolby Headphone if I get the chance, but right now don't care.
I think the standard movie DSPs have less echo...

You can listen to some Dolby Headphone Demos on youtube.  Not sure if there are silent cinema demos, I haven't really looked. 

Quote:
This gives me grief to no end, as I have a perfectly functional PS3 with many games that support DTS... not to mention most Blu-Rays only use DTS.
frown.gif

Hopefully the next gen of consoles will support DTS or at least something a little less compressed than DD 5.1.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #6,339 of 48,562
I haven't found a legit Dolby Headphone demo, other than the one I linked on the first post. The rest have been binaural or nothing. The russian vids were legit, but they weren't on youtube.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #6,340 of 48,562
Quote:
You can listen to some Dolby Headphone Demos on youtube.  Not sure if there are silent cinema demos, I haven't really looked. 

There is no software drivers, players or software codecs for Silent Cinema, it only exist on Yamaha hardware.
(At least as far as I've been able to find).

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #6,341 of 48,562
Quote:
I haven't found a legit Dolby Headphone demo, other than the one I linked on the first post. The rest have been binaural or nothing. The russian vids were legit, but they weren't on youtube.

If I had a capture card, I could easily make some =\

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #6,342 of 48,562
If I had a capture card, I could easily make some =\

Ugh, I had one AND I did save a vid with Dolby Headphone, but it was a short test, and I deleted it. I should've played a few rounds with DH on. :frowning2:

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #6,343 of 48,562
There is no software drivers, players or software codecs for Silent Cinema, it only exist on Yamaha hardware.
(At least as far as I've been able to find).

True it's a hardware based decoder, but like the other two said, if I could record the audio out from the headphone jack in sync with video, everything would already be decoded and rendered and should play back with the sound effect applied.

I bet Battlefield 3 would be jaw-droppingly good sound.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #6,344 of 48,562
Battlefield 3 isn't good for positional cues, IMHO. It has really good audio, yes, but it's too chaotic for positional cues.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6,345 of 48,562
Quote:
Battlefield 3 isn't good for positional cues, IMHO. It has really good audio, yes, but it's too chaotic for positional cues.

And if it's anything like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the Frostbite engine's sound mixing just sucks in terms of positioning. The sound effects themselves are pretty good, but I can't really tell where they're coming from all that effectively.

I wish they'd bring back OpenAL like they used for Battlefield 2 and 2142, but I don't think that would help console gamers like yourself all that much.

On the flip side, I'd probably just keep playing Battlefield 2 anyway given what they've done to the series, even if a friend of mine suggests that BF3's unlocks are nowhere near as broken as BF:BC2's M60 + Magnum Ammo in the early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back