Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #13,937 of 48,562
I believe the SR4002 also has DH.

The problem with mine is that none of my line outs work, so i can't use my receiver as a dac only, though the pre-outs do work, so I can use it as a dac with volume control, wh8ch is sort of double amping. Optical outs does thankfully.. Hdmi doesn't, at least not with the PS3. Freezes my ps3, ever time.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #13,939 of 48,562
No. They use their own virtual surround now. Only older ones do, same with Denon and Marantz receivers.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #13,941 of 48,562
Quote:
Chico, I need you to bend the hell out of the headband into a longer shape so it can fit my head. I'm not gonna mod your cans.
biggrin.gif

Haha

Dude.

These X1s are flipping GOOD

Seriously. 

I'm comparing them to the Anniversaries and they're definitely on par and are even beating them in areas.  These are no joke.

You need to stop screwing around, order a pair, and find a way to make the headband fit  - because I'm confident you will LOVE the signature coming from these.  I'll keep trickling out some details on the sound so you know what I mean.

These are pretty much what I hoped they would be, and I seriously think these are also what you have been looking for. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #13,942 of 48,562
Quote:

Haha

Dude.

These X1s are flipping GOOD

Seriously. 

I'm comparing them to the Anniversaries and they're definitely on par and are even beating them in areas.  These are no joke.

You need to stop screwing around, order a pair, and find a way to make the headband fit  - because I'm confident you will LOVE the signature coming from these.  I'll keep trickling out some details on the sound so you know what I mean.

These are pretty much what I hoped they would be, and I seriously think these are also what you have been looking for. 

I think I know where this is going...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #13,943 of 48,562
The sound signature was never my concern. I know from impressions that the X1 would be probably end game worthy for me. The problem is the fit and headband extension that will always be my problem. Bend the shizz out of the headband and send them my way!

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #13,944 of 48,562
Quote:
So if I was to get a newer model receiver I would need to keep my mixamp for DH, right?

Bump.

Also, with a receiver would I be better off with passive or active speakers?

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #13,945 of 48,562
New model receivers do not have Dolby Headphone. Do your homework on whatever receiver you're looking into. You would basically be using them as a basic dac/amp at that point.

I don't know speakers, so I can't answer that. I assume passive = no volume control, which I'd say is the better choice, as receivers have their own.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #13,946 of 48,562
Quote:
New model receivers do not have Dolby Headphone. Do your homework on whatever receiver you're looking into. You would basically be using them as a basic dac/amp at that point.

I don't know speakers, so I can't answer that. I assume passive = no volume control, which I'd say is the better choice, as receivers have their own.

Yes, I understood that the new ones don't have DH. That's why I asked if I should keep the mixamp to use with the receiver if I took the newer route. So I'm assuming yes? Use the mixamp with the recever as if it was a dac/amp like you said?

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #13,947 of 48,562
Quote:

Please tell me if the soundstage is on par. That answer is what will ultimately decide if I return the Annies and purchase the X1. I'm having doubts about the bass, though. I definitely don't want too much bass when gaming (my preference) and also don't want it to overpower my HP100s bass. The HP100 has bass that is just above neutral and is pretty much where I like it.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #13,948 of 48,562
Quote:
Bend the shizz out of the headband and send them my way!

Never!!! 
I can tell you right now that I'm keeping this pair.  And I don't want to bend these babies as they fit me perfectly at stock.
floatsmile.png

So you're going to have to jump in and bend a pair eventually, but not mine!

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #13,949 of 48,562
Quote:

Please tell me if the soundstage is on par.

That answer is what will ultimately decide if I return the Annies and purchase the X1. I'm having doubts about the bass, though. I definitely don't want too much bass when gaming (my preference) and also don't want it to overpower my HP100s bass. The HP100 has bass that is just above neutral and is pretty much where I like it.

Yes.  Better then on par actually. 
evil_smiley.gif
  Stay tuned!!

I'm still working on the bass.  There is definitely more than the Anniversaries, but it seems to be behaving itself.

Also, keep in mind that if you use a DSS you can actually reduce bass by dialing it back.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #13,950 of 48,562
Quote:

Never!!! 
I can tell you right now that I'm keeping this pair.  And I don't want to bend these babies as they fit me perfectly at stock.
floatsmile.png

So you're going to have to jump in and bend a pair eventually, but not mine!

I'm glad you like them as much as Burritoboy and I do. I have been trying to yell at everyone to buy these things for DH !  It is almost like they take the immersion and fun that some closed cans offer and perfectly mix that into an open can. 

X1 just went down to $349.99 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back