Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 30, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #13,906 of 48,562
I have finally decided it time to upgrade my headphones. I'm currently using Tritton 5.1 gaming headset they are uncomfortable and just are a little lacking. I mainly play FPS so I'm really after good sound positioning. But I also listen to music(all genre, but mainly electronic) and have a pretty large blu-ray collection on my PC, the headphones will be my only source of sound. I can run open back(bachelor pad, no kids etc) so please consider that as well.

Would stepping up to Q701 K702 or HD598 rather then a700x or 900x ~$150 range to~$250 be worth it for me running off just the creative Z amp? I'm not interested in purchasing more gear just some cans.. I'm no audiophile so distinctions in music may be hard for me to notice. I'm mainly after a better soundstage for gaming, I also do enjoy a little bass for immersion but not overwhelming. Money isn't really the problem I just don't like unnecessary spending I'm currently leaning towards the Q701 simply because it is said the sound positioning is amazing! would the a900x be similiar in this aspect? So many decisions, it would probably be easier if I could try them on..

May 30, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #13,907 of 48,562
Quote:
Think I may have to buy the DPX21 which actually comes bundled with the original DSS at <$110.

Or get another one off eBay for $30.

May 30, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #13,908 of 48,562
Quote:
There is a great deal of activity going on below 50Hz in many movies and games that very few headphones can convey effectively. Even the D7000 doesn't do quite as well as my stereo + sub when it comes to subterranean bass, though Dolby Headphone makes up for that.

It certainly explains why you never cared for Stax much...

The only real solution I see to that is to run headphones in tandem with a subwoofer that can punch down to 20 Hz cleanly, but then I'd seriously annoy everyone else in the house-and probably the neighbors too-just by having that subwoofer running.

May 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #13,909 of 48,562
Quote:
It certainly explains why you never cared for Stax much...

The only real solution I see to that is to run headphones in tandem with a subwoofer that can punch down to 20 Hz cleanly, but then I'd seriously annoy everyone else in the house-and probably the neighbors too-just by having that subwoofer running.

Yup. It's very hard to deal with coherency issues in such a setup -- I believe some enthusiasts did headphones+sub with the AKG K1000 which was okay since it was being driven by the speaker amp to begin with.

My Nova integrated disables the speaker-outs when headphones are connected, but not the preamp-out which is connected to my subwoofer. This provides some supplemental activity down to ~20Hz with high-sensitivity or isolating headphones, but the solution is completely unmanageable with open or low-sensitivity headphones (since the subwoofer is being driven to a higher volume via the pre-out relative to the headphones). I'd have to have done some serious fiddling to get it to work acceptably with my HD 650s and not destroy integration with my speakers, if even possible. I'd only consider it a worthwhile investment of time, money and effort with something like a SR-009, and then you're still talking about quite a pretty penny just for enhanced movie and game enjoyment..

May 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #13,910 of 48,562
Recommendations? 

Looking for a headphone with a big soundstage and good bass for immersion while gaming. 
Budget $250 and no more. 

Asked around here before but did not really get any clear recommendations. 70% regular gaming 30% competitive multiplayer. Was looking at the DT 990 pro but I got a chance to demo the DT880 from a friend and found those a little to bright for my tastes so I think the DT990 is out of the question.

I want to get a really nice cinematic sound when gaming but still have decent soundstage for multiplayer.
The DT990's seemed to be it but that treble is scary me away. I was looking at the senns HD 598 but I don't think those have the nice immersive bass. Also looked at the HE-300 but I cant find enough info about those with respect to soundstage and positioning for gaming. 

I will be using these with my ps3, mixamp, magni. 

Decisions, decisions, my head hurts :frowning2:
I think my budget might be hurting my options but I just can't go over it right now.

May 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #13,911 of 48,562
Quote:
Recommendations? 

Looking for a headphone with a big soundstage and good bass for immersion while gaming. 
Budget $250 and no more. 

Asked around here before but did not really get any clear recommendations. 70% regular gaming 30% competitive multiplayer. Was looking at the DT 990 pro but I got a chance to demo the DT880 from a friend and found those a little to bright for my tastes so I think the DT990 is out of the question.

I want to get a really nice cinematic sound when gaming but still have decent soundstage for multiplayer.
The DT990's seemed to be it but that treble is scary me away. I was looking at the senns HD 598 but I don't think those have the nice immersive bass. Also looked at the HE-300 but I cant find enough info about those with respect to soundstage and positioning for gaming. 

I think my budget might be hurting my options but I just can't go over it right now.

We spoke of these earlier but there isn't much info on them for gaming. Try researching the SoundMAGIC HP200 and see what you think. I own the HP100 (as my fun can) and have been told the other one sounds better and has a good soundstage (open back headphone).

May 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #13,912 of 48,562
Recommendations? 

Budget $250 and no more. 

Get the HD 598 with the Turtle Beach DSS and use the bass boost to turn up the bass.

May 30, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #13,913 of 48,562
Man, those pads sold quickly!!!
biggrin.gif

I'm really glad I was able to get a few bucks back. The amount I spent on the Annie sounds more reasonable for me, now.

May 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #13,914 of 48,562
Quote:
Yup. It's very hard to deal with coherency issues in such a setup -- I believe some enthusiasts did headphones+sub with the AKG K1000 which was okay since it was being driven by the speaker amp to begin with.

My Nova integrated disables the speaker-outs when headphones are connected, but not the preamp-out which is connected to my subwoofer. This provides some supplemental activity down to ~20Hz with high-sensitivity or isolating headphones, but the solution is completely unmanageable with open or low-sensitivity headphones (since the subwoofer is being driven to a higher volume via the pre-out relative to the headphones). I'd have to have done some serious fiddling to get it to work acceptably with my HD 650s and not destroy integration with my speakers, if even possible. I'd only consider it a worthwhile investment of time, money and effort with something like a SR-009, and then you're still talking about quite a pretty penny just for enhanced movie and game enjoyment..

Fortunately for me, the situation's a lot simpler; I don't use loudspeakers at all. The computer room isn't suited to it at all, and besides, the typical Quad/Acoustat/Beveridge/etc. ESL set is well out of my budget.

I only got an SRD-7/SB with my SR-Lambda, which also means that I have this old integrated receiver sitting on my desk solely to drive headphones (more specifically, the power-hungry transformer box that then drives the headphones) instead of having a dedicated Stax amp. Since there are two sets of output channels on this particular Onkyo receiver, I could, in theory, have a subwoofer running in tandem with little trouble.

Even if I was using a more conventional dynamic/ortho headphone, it's a strange case of a receiver that does NOT mute the speaker output if something's plugged into the front headphone jack...

May 31, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #13,915 of 48,562
Fidelio X1s get here tommorow.

popcorn.gif

May 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #13,918 of 48,562
Ok so this might be a really stupid question: When using a amp like the magni connected to a tritton mixamp do you set the mix amp volume to its maximum?
I always have mine set to like half way and use more volume on the magni.  
confused_face(1).gif

May 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #13,919 of 48,562
Quote:

We spoke of these earlier but there isn't much info on them for gaming. Try researching the SoundMAGIC HP200 and see what you think. I own the HP100 (as my fun can) and have been told the other one sounds better and has a good soundstage (open back headphone).

Thanks for the help. Cant find those HP200 on ebay or amazon. Couldnt find much info on them. Dont think i'll be going for these.

Quote:
Get the HD 598 with the Turtle Beach DSS and use the bass boost to turn up the bass.

I just might get HD 598 because it seems what I am looking for (good soundstage, immersive bass, not harsh treble) just doesn't come in headphones at my prince rang ($250 max). 

Won't bother with the DSS already have a tritton mix amp

May 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #13,920 of 48,562
I just might get HD 598 because it seems what I am looking for (good soundstage, immersive bass, not harsh treble) just doesn't come in headphones at my prince rang ($250 max). 

Won't bother with the DSS already have a tritton mix amp

The HD598 doesn't really have that, especially not without EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back