Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #13,951 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm glad you like them as much as Burritoboy and I do. I have been trying to yell at everyone to buy these things for DH !

It is almost like they take the immersion and fun that some closed cans offer and perfectly mix that into an open can. 

Yes, you were right about them.  They are seriously good with Dolby Headphone.  And that bolded text is spot on.

These are probably the best headphones for gaming I've personally heard (although I've heard the T1 and HD800, I haven't heard them for gaming).  I say this because they have the highest combination of "competitive" and "fun" I've heard in one headphone.  I haven't heard the D7000s, but I bet they have a lot of both categories as well.  The X1s have have a fun home-theatery sounding signature with a mild "U" shape, with more emphasis on the left side of the "U" then the right side.  I was expecting them to have a signature like this, but I wasn't expecting them to pull of this kind of soundstage while doing it.

Their soundstage and imaging are both excellent. The soundstage comes across as being even larger and more roomy and open sounding then the Anniversaries.  It's on par with the Q701 in that regard, but the Q701 is thinner sounding and sounds primarily mid-rangey in a direct comparison (a la HD598).  The X1s keeps the same size soundstage as the Q701 but are punchier with impressively visceral bass topping everything off. 

The X1's secret to pulling all this off is in by having smaller sounding instruments with plenty of room around each other.  The T1 does this also.  The Anniversaries instruments sound larger, and as a result become more crowded and intimate sounding inside the soundstage.  As the size of the instruments increases, it becomes more of a struggle for the headphone to keep an impression of soundstage size and space.  These large intimate sounding instruments can be cool, and are nice for some music, but for gaming the X1s really benefit from having the type of presentation they do.

For music these are also excellent, but not necessarily a replacement for the Anniversary.  This is because they have different signatures so personal preferences will come into play.  The AKGs focus more attention on the mids, while the X1s spread the signature around a bit more with the bass receiving some TLC.  I'll go more into the sound sigs later, but I will say that I really enjoy the X1s signature and it's a nice compliment to the AKGs.

My new goal is to get MLE to buy a pair of these ASAP, as I think they are the perfect headphone for him.  MLE, I will take pictures of the headband for you (next to the AKGs as well) so you can see what you will have to work with as far as bending them.  I know you can make them fit your fat head if you try!!
floatsmile.png

http://www.seaboom.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1093-X1/28&REFID=PG

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #13,952 of 48,562
Not gonna happen... as much as I want to, im tapped out after my Alienware and Kingsound purchases. Seriously. :frowning2:

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #13,953 of 48,562
Get rid of that alienware hot mess already. Such a waste.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #13,954 of 48,562
No YOU'RE A MESS, POOPY HEAD. :frowning2:

I love it... when it works. #4 should be here on Tuesday. I promise... if it doesn't work properly, I won't be getting anymore.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #13,955 of 48,562
I think the fifth one will work...

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #13,956 of 48,562
The first two were messed up in the HDMI. The 3rd one had a bad AMD gfx card, but working hdmi. My 4th one is an Nvidia card, and was tested thoroughly for all the problems I had with the last 3. They told me they'd make sure the hdmi inout and gfx card were all working proerly before sending it out. There should be no reason why it wouldnt work this time.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #13,957 of 48,562
I am going to have to see what I can get the X1s for. I have a relative who works for Philips and they get stuff for cost I believe. May be worth a shot.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #13,959 of 48,562
Quote:
You can pick them up from a website like Chico linked....but it is a waiting game. Had to wait 5 or 6 weeks to get mine. 

That's a damn shame. 

I don't understand why Philips doesn't stock these with US retailers.  They would sell like hotcakes at the prices they're going for in the EU.

That website says "This item will be shipped directly to you from the nearest available shipping facility which include those in CA, FL, GA, IL, NJ, TN, and TX."
Is that false?

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #13,960 of 48,562
Told you guys back in November how good the Fidelio X1 are for gaming and how they became my best bang for the buck. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #13,962 of 48,562
Don't you guys have any fellow EU friends/headfiers gifting them?

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #13,963 of 48,562
Bring
Up
My
AD900X, A900X, DT 770, or...?

Do the A900X have good sound stage and positional cues?
What about build quality? I've read that good build quality isn't a forte of open headphones such as the AD700/AD900/X

I want both immersive and competitive game play.

I mainly listen to older/modern rock/metal, so I want some bass. I'm not a basshead, so nothing overpowering.

I don't want a harsh treble.

I also like vocals, so I guess good mids would be nice.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #13,965 of 48,562
Quote:
AD900X, A900X, DT 770, or...?

Do the A900X have good sound stage and positional cues?
What about build quality? I've read that good build quality isn't a forte of open headphones such as the AD700/AD900/X

I want both immersive and competitive game play.

I mainly listen to older/modern rock/metal, so I want some bass. I'm not a basshead, so nothing overpowering.

I don't want a harsh treble.

I also like vocals, so I guess good mids would be nice.

I think the AD900X will be too light in signature for adequate immersive gaming.  I've also heard that the imaging is a little diffuse.  They're nice for female vocals though.

The DT770 build is much more solid and heavy-duty feeling than Audio Techinicas, which use a lot of light plastic.  The wing design suspension can be controversial for some, but I don't mind it.

The DT770 aren't mid rich, and the treble may potentially be sparkly for your taste.  The bass depends on which version you get.

Do you NEED closed? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back