Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #13,157 of 48,566
Quote:

I don't doubt the PRO900/2900 but I haven't tried them. My distaste for the PRO 550 drew me away. I may have overreacted by saying the soundstage was "terrible" but it was definitely disappointing, however. They also lacked highs, IMO, and were quite bass heavy.

They were fun cans, no doubt, but didn't fit my taste. I would give the soundstage more of a 6 than a 7.5. But then again, at the time I was used to sound whoring cans like the AD700...and now currently own the Q701. I guess open cans are my preference, especially for gaming. Which is crazy because I like closed cans for when listening to music. I had purchased the PRO 550 solely for that purpose, and was still disappointed. Maybe it WAS the S-logic driver placement that threw me off... but who knows because they are long gone, now
tongue.gif

Ok, did some comparison session with the AKG K 702 and the Ultrasone PRO 550. Black Ops 2 MP PC. Xonar USB @ Dolby Headphone Gaming setting. The 702 wins hands down that's for sure, but the PRO 550 is a good choice for an affordable closed gaming can.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #13,158 of 48,566
ScarsHD,
The famous MDR-V6 would probably fare... average. You'll probably be able to pick out a few tactical noises like footsteps if you know what to concentrate on, but DH won't help you pick out directional cues very easily, possibly just sound weird rather than giving you the sensation of surround at all. Probably much better than TV speakers or a soundbar, but not enough to create realism.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #13,160 of 48,566
I'm having a hard time figuring out how surround sound works with my setup. Right now, I'm using the Astro A50 (TX amp) with my soundcard (Xonar DX). I have a SPDIF cable going from my soundcard's optical out to the TX amp optical IN...

Here are my questions:

- In "Playback devices" must I set SPEAKERS to default (Xonar DX audio device) or should I set it to "S/PDIF Passthrough Device (Xonar DX audio device) or should I set it to "Headset Earphone" (astro device) ???

- In the XONAR dx panel, apart from setting the SPDIF out to Dolby Digital Live, should I also check the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter box ???

- And from my tests, it seems like the best configuration is to set the Default Playback device to ASUS xonar Dx speakers and set the SPDIF out to Dolby Digital Live. Because when I do this, it feels like the directionnal cues are quite like when using the 5.1 speaker setup I have in my office... (I guess using this method the Sound Card does all the work and the audio quality should be better... however when I use this config, I sometimes get weird Trebles in my sound... if I use Skype, people's voices sound like they're on helium... there's a little of that in PC games as well... kind of annoying)

I figured my other option is to use the SPDIF out (from the Xonar dx) as a PASSTRHOUGH, which would mean that the mix amp would receive stereo sound and then convert it to surround sound (if I press the dolby button) Correct ???

But that would defeat the purpose of using my Xonar DX processing capabilities. So I guess I'm trying to figure out why is it that when I set my Xonar DX speakers as playback device's defaults, I do get surround sound (without even having to enable the 7.1 virtual shifter checkbox) but with a slight displeasing treble effect in the headset (it sounds like playing a cheap mp3 file at 54kbps...)

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #13,161 of 48,566
Uh... You do? Lol. I think you're it, most of the other long-time thread participants have desktop amps for their stay-home headphones. The C5 was designed especially for great performance with sensitive IEMs, while power output is usually the needed attribute for the full-sized headphones highlighted for gaming use. The AKG flagships are kinda weird... They have an intermediate amount of impedance and dampening factor, yet their lower sensitivity means they benefit more than usual from a larger supply of current.

I'm actually surprised the C5 is only rated at 14 hours battery life, since the E12 is more powerful yet is rated for 12 hours. Then again, the E12 has a bigger battery, and it may carry juice for less time than 12 hours. Both are fine with the AKGs, but the C5 may be a little underpowered for some of the more demanding headphones.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #13,162 of 48,566
I'm having a hard time figuring out how surround sound works with my setup. Right now, I'm using the Astro A50 (TX amp) with my soundcard (Xonar DX). I have a SPDIF cable going from my soundcard's optical out to the TX amp optical IN...

Here are my questions:

- [COLOR=0000CD]In "Playback devices" must I set SPEAKERS to default (Xonar DX audio device) or should I set it to "S/PDIF Passthrough Device (Xonar DX audio device) or should I set it to "Headset Earphone" (astro device) ???[/COLOR]

- In the XONAR dx panel, apart from setting the SPDIF out to Dolby Digital Live, should I also check the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter box ???

- And from my tests, it seems like the best configuration is to set the Default Playback device to ASUS xonar Dx speakers and set the SPDIF out to Dolby Digital Live. Because when I do this, it feels like the directionnal cues are quite like when using the 5.1 speaker setup I have in my office... (I guess using this method the Sound Card does all the work and the audio quality should be better... however when I use this config, I sometimes get weird Trebles in my sound... if I use Skype, people's voices sound like they're on helium... there's a little of that in PC games as well... kind of annoying)

I figured my other option is to use the SPDIF out (from the Xonar dx) as a PASSTRHOUGH, which would mean that the mix amp would receive stereo sound and then convert it to surround sound (if I press the dolby button) Correct ???

But that would defeat the purpose of using my Xonar DX processing capabilities. So I guess I'm trying to figure out why is it that when I set my Xonar DX speakers as playback device's defaults, I do get surround sound (without even having to enable the 7.1 virtual shifter checkbox) but with a slight displeasing treble effect in the headset (it sounds like playing a cheap mp3 file at 54kbps...)

You wouldn't want to process Dolby Headphone in both the soundcard and your TX amp. DH causes a little distortion to create the directionality, that helium effect you describe may be from double-processing. You should be able to get the same 5.1 speakers feeling straight from the Xonar without using the TX amp to process a 5.1 Dolby Digital Live signal.

I don't have the card or screen in front of me now to figure out how it should be set up, but NamelessPFG (or PurpleAngel) is the right person to ask. Your setup is a little more tricky because you have that wireless dongle that does/can do it's own surround processing (not sure if it would leave a 2 channel signal alone, even if DH had already been applied once already). You will also be experiencing artifacts from the wireless compression, so take that into account.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #13,163 of 48,566
Quote:
Uh... You do? Lol. I think you're it, most of the other long-time thread participants have desktop amps for their stay-home headphones. The C5 was designed especially for great performance with sensitive IEMs, while power output is usually the needed attribute for the full-sized headphones highlighted for gaming use. The AKG flagships are kinda weird... They have an intermediate amount of impedance and dampening factor, yet their lower sensitivity means they benefit more than usual from a larger supply of current.

I'm actually surprised the C5 is only rated at 14 hours battery life, since the E12 is more powerful yet is rated for 12 hours. Then again, the E12 has a bigger battery, and it may carry juice for less time than 12 hours. Both are fine with the AKGs, but the C5 may be a little underpowered for some of the more demanding headphones.

I'm the 3rd person to say the bass boost of the C5 pairs well with the newer K 701, so I'm not completely crazy. One person thought they were hearing the Anniversary K 702's with the bass boost on, and with the Anniversary K 702:
Quote:
Bass: Sound-wise, this is the most significant change coming off the older models. The Annie presents bass quite well. You can consider it slightly above neutral. Natural if the source doesn't have a need for bass, and quite full and involving when the need for bass is there. There were times where I found them to have more bass than even the HE-400. Overall, it certainly does not, but make no mistake, the bass can be quite full, layered, textured, and infectious.

What it improves over the Q701 is that the bass is no longer situational. It doesn't just hit with really bass heavy songs. It hits at all times, in a very natural way. Put on a bassy track, movie, game, etc, and the Annie WILL impress bass-wise. Make no mistake. I always found the Q701 and especially the old K701 to be slightly below neutral, bass-wise. The bass would decay too quickly, and wouldn't hit with enough energy to give a sense of naturality. No longer an issue with the Annie. Unless you're a basshead, I don't think there will be much to complain about here.

Mids:
The Annie further improves on the mids by integrating them even more with the bass and treble. Due to the fuller, warmer sound signature, the mids are still forward, but not as distant due to a thicker sound.

I haven't heard the Anniversary K 702's yet, but the description of its sound compared to the Q 701 (newer K 701) sounds similar with the C5's bass boost. It doesn't have the same soundstage as with an O2, but other than that, sonically the C5 and O2 are pretty close. Given the headphone list in the first post, I don't think an insane amount of power is needed for the headphones. Again, does power = better? The E12 can output way more power than the C5 yet I much prefer the sound of the C5 to that of the E12. Likewise goes for Schiit Bifrost/Lyr or Asgard combos against an ODAC/O2 from what I heard at local meets with the K 701.
Quote:
Now, if you’re a headphone guy, you’re thinking “Holy Schiit! 6 watts! That’ll make the magic smoke come out of my headphones! Why the hell do you need that kind of power?”

C5's battery is just an iPod battery. It can be modded/swapped out, and it can still be used while charging.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #13,164 of 48,566
Wow, seriously, I just imagined explaining everything you have going on in your setup by having a theater troup act it out with the help of a waffle. It was thrown through the air at some point and stepped on to crush flat (in which case you might as well have ordered an pancake), but I totally forgot instantly how that was at all going to explain anything. I had less than 2 hours sleep last night, it's suddenly hitting me and a lot of things don't make sense right now.

Seriously, a waffle? Would like to eat a nice crispy Belgian waffle right now.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #13,165 of 48,566
Hello again I would like to ask another question actually. AT the end of the Guide there is a section dedicated to mics that you can attach to the headphones so you can have a mic with a high quality set of headphones. However the ones listed at the end of this guide I can absolutely not find them anywhere to buy in the UK.
In fact honestly it seems that it is quite difficult to buy anything in the UK when it comes to this guide apart from some brand names like Sennheiser etc.

Can you give me some decent alternatives to something that might be available in my country?

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #13,166 of 48,566
I'm the 3rd person to say the bass boost of the C5 pairs well with the newer K 701, so I'm not completely crazy. One person thought they were hearing the Anniversary K 702's with the bass boost on, and with the Anniversary K 702:
I haven't heard the Anniversary K 702's yet, but the description of its sound compared to the Q 701 (newer K 701) sounds similar with the C5's bass boost. It doesn't have the same soundstage as with an O2, but other than that, sonically the C5 and O2 are pretty close. Given the headphone list in the first post, I don't think an insane amount of power is needed for the headphones. Again, does power = better? The E12 can output way more power than the C5 yet I much prefer the sound of the C5 to that of the E12. Likewise goes for Schiit Bifrost/Lyr or Asgard combos against an ODAC/O2 from what I heard at local meets with the K 701.

[rule]C5's battery is just an iPod battery. It can be modded/swapped out, and it can still be used while charging.

What? Oh, the C5 with Annies. I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said there are a lot of headphones that have been auditioned here, and the C5 probably wouldn't be the first choice for, say, a Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser HD 650. I'm sure the C5 is fine with the AKGs. Didn't I say that?
I think the Annies are K701 65th anniversary model.
I prefer swappable batteries, if you're on the road it lets you keep going and also lets you replace a battery that doesn't hold a charge anymore. FiiO asked during development if they should have swappable batteries, or batteries that could be used during charging. Chalk that up to another design feature I lost the vote on. I don't think the E12 sounds all that great while it's charging. I don't know why it couldn't work both ways in the first place, but I guess FiiO had it's reasons (maybe lower target MSRP?).

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #13,167 of 48,566
Hello again I would like to ask another question actually. AT the end of the Guide there is a section dedicated to mics that you can attach to the headphones so you can have a mic with a high quality set of headphones. However the ones listed at the end of this guide I can absolutely not find them anywhere to buy in the UK.
In fact honestly it seems that it is quite difficult to buy anything in the UK when it comes to this guide apart from some brand names like Sennheiser etc.

Can you give me some decent alternatives to something that might be available in my country?

You don't actually attach the mics to the headphones. Well... You don't plug the mic's wiring into the headphones. Deal Extreme is a reseller that is based in Hong Kong and ships internationally, I don't see why they could ship here and not to the UK? For other choices, just search "lapel microphone" on Amazon or something, that's how I found mine. You can't find AKG online to ship to the UK? They're made in Austria (or china). Which models did you want?

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #13,168 of 48,566
Quote:
Quote:

C5's battery is just an iPod battery. It can be modded/swapped out, and it can still be used while charging.

What? Oh, the C5 with Annies. I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said there are a lot of headphones that have been auditioned here, and the C5 probably wouldn't be the first choice for, say, a Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser HD 650. I'm sure the C5 is fine with the AKGs. Didn't I say that?
I think the Annies are K701 65th anniversary model.
I prefer swappable batteries, if you're on the road it lets you keep going and also lets you replace a battery that doesn't hold a charge anymore. FiiO asked during development if they should have swappable batteries, or batteries that could be used during charging. Chalk that up to another design feature I lost the vote on. I don't think the E12 sounds all that great while it's charging. I don't know why it couldn't work both ways in the first place, but I guess FiiO had it's reasons (maybe lower target MSRP?).

It is the "AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition", but same difference. :p

I figured most people here would already have their gaming rig set-up, but I was just curious.

Also, an exotic crispy waffle for you:

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #13,170 of 48,566
Quote:

Argh!

Why are your still trying to up your A50s with your computer when you already have a Asus soundcard with Dolby Headphone?!

It would be so much simpler if you ditched the A50s and just used the Xonar to get Dolby Headphone directly to a pair of headphones/headset.

Right now your audio chain is: route sound to your Xonar card (normally this all you have to do - plug in headphones and you're DONE - but your, try to pass the signal through optical while encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1, send that signal to the Tx amp, decode the signal back to Dolby Headphone stereo, then finally send that signal out wirelessly to Rx inside the (mediocre and overpriced) A50s.

There is only ONE correct way for the mixamp (the Tx in your case) to work, and that is feeding it Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical.  If your not doing that <  it's not working correctly.  Period.

I thought you were selling the A50s?  I recommend just getting rid of them and buying some used/like new PC360s and then hook them up straight to the Xonar.  Simple, Done. 
If you want to use them on consoles adding a regular mixamp will make them work.  That's still cheaper than the A50s and with better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back