Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #13,127 of 48,566
I'm still not sure if I'd rather own one flagship pair or a several "mid-fi" pairs, like the Anniversaries/Q701s, X1s, plus something else like MA900 or AD900x or whatever.

It would depend on whether one of the flagships did everything better than my AKGs or not.  Based on my last (very brief) listening session, I'm not sure...I would need more critical listening time before I made a decision like that.

People say the HD800s need a good source/amp, and I don't really like the idea of having to upgrade my chain in an expensive way in order to take advantage of them.

Seems like mid-fi is the best value and price/peformace ratio though.  I'm not a fan of diminishing returns.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #13,128 of 48,566
That much is true. $250-400 is where it's at. At this point, I'm tossing money for incremental improvements. But upgraditis is a disease.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #13,129 of 48,566
Quote:
Closed due to possibly going to LANs. Sounds like you're saying neither of these two would be good?

If so, what should I get? :L

You might want to try the Ultrasone PRO 550, very comfortable closed can with good compatibility to Dolby Headphone for long LAN sessions. I know that from my own experiences. Has all features of the Higher end PRO headphones, like speed switch earpads and a very sturdy case but comes with non metallic drivers.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #13,130 of 48,566
Quote:
You might want to try the Ultrasone PRO 550, very comfortable closed can with good compatibility to Dolby Headphone for long LAN sessions. I know that from my own experiences. Has all features of the Higher end PRO headphones, like speed switch earpads and a very sturdy case but comes with non metallic drivers.

I beg to differ. They ARE very comfortable... but sound wise, the soundstage is terrible. It's only my opinion, though...

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #13,131 of 48,566
Quote:
The STX is a powerful soundcard. Whomever said it can't drive those headphones is a liar. It's the equivalent of an E9 in power which is plenty of power.

Oh I see, that was what I originally thought too it just seems that when I was trying to do some Google searches every now and again I would come across a post sort of being negative on only using the soundcard to power any of those headphones because it would not be "recommended" or drive it to its full potential and it sort of scared me off.
In which case I just want to know, is there a better sound card out there than the STX?

Based off my mostly gaming needs with some music and movies,what headphones would you pair up with the STX? Just out of interest.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #13,132 of 48,566
For the STX? The K702 Anniversary, for sure. Though not sure that's in your budget.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #13,133 of 48,566
In which case I just want to know, is there a better sound card out there than the STX?

There absolutely are plenty, but what I think you're asking is: Is there a better sound card out there for headphone gaming?

My opinion is yes and it's the X-Fi Titanium HD. Better support for games and I prefer CMSS-3D over Dolby Headphone as I find it to be more accurate. You will need an out-board amp with them, though.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #13,134 of 48,566
Quote:
There absolutely are plenty, but what I think you're asking is: Is there a better sound card out there for headphone gaming?

My opinion is yes and it's the X-Fi Titanium HD. Better support for games and I prefer CMSS-3D over Dolby Headphone as I find it to be more accurate. You will need an out-board amp with them, though.

Hmm yeah for now at least I would just like to get the sound card and be able to use some headphones with it and perhaps get the whole proper setup with an amp later on when I have saved up some money. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like in comparison to what I have now which is a cheap headset with on board sound.

Quote:
For the STX? The K702 Anniversary, for sure. Though not sure that's in your budget.

You know what I was having major difficulty finding a retailer that sold that in the UK, then I actually managed to find one and looked at the price and thought yeah.... Probably a bit much.

I would prefer to keep it in the £150-£300 range if possible, what would you say then? then again I am not sure how the translates to usd.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #13,135 of 48,566
So using the Stax 407 for gaming.

Hooked up the Stax amp to my Marantz's headphone out. Very clean sound, and the 407 works very well with DH. Safe to say, 7.5 fun / 8.5 competitive (preliminary scoring). God tier clarity, nicely balanced sound with good energy for fun, and great positioning. Not the best for hardcore gaming, but great.

Safe to say, based on sound alone, the 407 is a winner as an all-purpose can.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #13,136 of 48,566
Looks like somebody's got a case of the Stax honeymoon period. Short of the 009 (haven't heard it), it wears off.
I'm still not sure if I'd rather own one flagship pair or a several "mid-fi" pairs, like the Anniversaries/Q701s, X1s, plus something else like MA900 or AD900x or whatever.

It would depend on whether one of the flagships did everything better than my AKGs or not.  Based on my last (very brief) listening session, I'm not sure...I would need more critical listening time before I made a decision like that.

People say the HD800s need a good source/amp, and I don't really like the idea of having to upgrade my chain in an expensive way in order to take advantage of them.

Seems like mid-fi is the best value and price/peformace ratio though.  I'm not a fan of diminishing returns.

One flagship as the be-all-end-all gets boring. I've had the JH13s for 3.5 years and I'm so used to them they don't surprise me anymore unless I use something lesser for considerable periods of time.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #13,137 of 48,566
Honeymoon never ended with the D7000, Annies, HE-4, HD650, HE-400, LCD2. I might always wanna go for new things, but I would've been quitehappy with any of those.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #13,138 of 48,566
You do seem to permanent honeymoon with lots of things, I've learned to take most of your initial impressions as a small bit of hyperbole.  
tongue.gif

I personally never honeymoon'd with LCD2 or HD650.

I really think I'd like a Stax SR-007 too.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #13,140 of 48,566
I could never afford any of those alone, lol.

Hyperbole, when nothing outside of the Denon and AD700 has had a perfect score in a rating? All the ones I mentioned have avaraged to like an 8 or 8.5.

A great headphone is a great headphone. I'm not a typical head-fier, fickle in what they like, then don't like. As soon as they they a new headphone, the last one is suddenly not worthwhile. That's the sort of mentality you SHOULD avoid. So because I like new headphones, and still see how amazing the older ones are, it's hyperbole? Please.

It's not like all the sudden the last headphone lost it's quality.

I may get excited about a new product, yet I don't dismiss what I've felt was great to begin with. The AD700 was my first main headphone, yet it remains the king of competitive gaming for me, so many years later. My ears have gained enough experience to hear and understand their faults (as with any headphone), but I wouldn't ever dismiss them (or any headphone I've felt was good).

If I can personally point out my main fault, it'd be that I'm a slave to my impulses in trying new headphones. Just so happens, that I've chosen/heard consistently better and better (with a few exceptions (like the Mad Dogs, which I like but don't find to be a giant killer like people wanna lead others to believe).

As with every headphone, I'm quick to point out their faults, as well as their strengths. The only headphone I've really truly gushed about lately has been the Annie, and that's because it's almost everything anyone can ask for in a balanced headphone, IMHO. If I only had like $600 and no current gear without being able to get anything after, I'd buy the Annie with a Modi/Magni. In a heartbeat. The Annie IS the best headphone I've heard in their price range that does everything I want.

The 407 has it's faults too, but it IS an electrostatic headphone worthy of note. It certainly stacks up next to any Dynamic I've heard. I can only imagine how good the higher end ones are. It's not hyperbole to believe they'd best basically anything I've reviewed as I keep going higher and higher in the 'stat chain.

I certainly think the LCD2 is overall better for me than the 407, but to say it's clearly better is a stretch. I say its better for my preference, but the 407 is technically masterful, and I don't hear any main issues with it in it's SQ. The mids aren't as forward as the LCD2, it doesn't have the body or the bass fullness, but the treble is certainly the best I've ever heard. A product of it's electrostatic design, I bet. It does sound a bit 2 dimensional and flat, and more headphone-like than the LCD2, so it's imaging isn't near the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back