Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #13,171 of 48,562
Quote:
I did cancel the Momentum though. Thanks to Chicolom for basically pushing further into not wanting them anymore. I really wouldn't have used them much.

wink.gif

Quote:
As for full sized, I'm more likely to own one fun/bassy, one balanced, and one closed/portable.

Sounds like:  Fidelio X1, K712/Anniversary, and ???

You know you want to try the X1s.  Go read Tyll's review again, then do what you gotta do... 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #13,172 of 48,562
I do, but I don't wanna spend $400 on new headphones that won't fit my head. I think I'd need to demo them first. I'm pretty sure that I'd love their sound though.

BTW, adgtron (a Sennheiser refurb dealer) has some like new refurb Momentums for $208. I can swallow that price. My only gripe is that they're the brown Momentums. I want black.

I shouldn't be saying this. As far as wireless headphones go, there is something cheaper than the A50s that sound better, and also come with DH (no external headphone use though). I can't divulge anymore info until next month.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #13,173 of 48,562
Quote:

Argh!

Why are your still trying to up your A50s with your computer when you already have a Asus soundcard with Dolby Headphone?!

It would be so much simpler if you ditched the A50s and just used the Xonar to get Dolby Headphone directly to a pair of headphones/headset.

Right now your audio chain is: route sound to your Xonar card (normally this all you have to do - plug in headphones and you're DONE - but your, try to pass the signal through optical while encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1, send that signal to the Tx amp, decode the signal back to Dolby Headphone stereo, then finally send that signal out wirelessly to Rx inside the (mediocre and overpriced) A50s.

There is only ONE correct way for the mixamp (the Tx in your case) to work, and that is feeding it Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical.  If your not doing that <  it's not working correctly.  Period.

I thought you were selling the A50s?  I recommend just getting rid of them and buying some used/like new PC360s and then hook them up straight to the Xonar.  Simple, Done. 
If you want to use them on consoles adding a regular mixamp will make them work.  That's still cheaper than the A50s and with better sound.

Yes I am returning the A50s, I was asking the questions I asked because I'm still using the a50s while I wait for the PC360s to arrive, and because I want to further my knowledge before they arrive... makes my life easier :wink:

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #13,174 of 48,562
Mad's peering inside his crystal ball... Also not saying anything, just... saying...
If there is another massive launch sale price, I'm going to have to pounce on it. I can't find my portable headphones (Sennheiser PX100) and I need a replacement... Might end up with Koss though. With one of those super-cheap headbands.

Just finished playing 3-4 hours of Halo: Reach (SWAT mode) with the TurtleBeach DSS. After several days testing/demoing, I feel pretty used to the DSS' sound signature now. I wanted to double amp with my E12 despite the fact that the power section of the DSS seems pretty robust, but I couldn't find my little interconnect cable. Next time though, I'm giving it the very best chance by hooking up my tube amp, which is particularly good at projecting a soundstage and distinct imaging.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #13,175 of 48,562
Quote:
After several days testing/demoing, I feel pretty used to the DSS' sound signature now. I wanted to double amp with my E12 despite the fact that the power section of the DSS seems pretty robust, but I couldn't find my little interconnect cable. Next time though, I'm giving it the very best chance by hooking up my tube amp, which is particularly good at projecting a soundstage and distinct imaging.

You mean...getting used to Dolby Heaphone?  The DSS doesn't have much of a signature.

What tube amp do you have?

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #13,176 of 48,562
Huzzah, Mixamp 5.8 came in yesterday. $80 off Amazon, perfect condition, still has all the plastic protective covering on it. Grabbed it the day the seller posted it. Only sad thing about it is that I'll be out of the country for the next week, and I'm not taking my consoles. Oh well, when I return, I will finally get to hear the sound through these.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #13,177 of 48,562
You mean...getting used to Dolby Heaphone?  The DSS doesn't have much of a signature.

What tube amp do you have?

Yeah, getting used to Dolby Headphone for surround.

You've seen pictures of my tube amp, it's the "Rock 'n Glass," Zigis' hand-built SET amp. I have a 6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boy tube in it right now. Hint about how my acclimation to DH is coming along: I'm trying out the tube amp to help out with the surround effect, because I want it to work well so I could get a receiver with DH in the future.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #13,178 of 48,562
Spending more time with the SR-407.

I don't think anyone would NOT be impressed by it. That sound... I mean, it simply blows everything away.

I just wish it wasn't so unwieldy and hideous. Sound-wise, they are just...sublime. Since people want to hear nitpicks,mine are: The sound is very, very clean, but it could use a hint of warmth. More a subjective opinion though. It is definitely NOT sterile or overly analytical. It's still musical, IMHO, just, I prefer more warmth as it's slightly dry. (ala HD650 compared to the HD600 or Annie vs Q701)

Also, soundstage doesn't have as much depth as the LCD2 and some of the better dynamic cans. Bass is very good for neutral, snappy and super tight, but subjectively, I'd prefer a little more. The SR-407 really sounds like a perfect Q701, with a smaller soundstage, but refinement everywhere, literally.

It's definitely better than anything I've heard so far. Hifiman HE-4, HE-400, D7000, Annie, It's that good. The LCD2 is close sound-wise, but I think the SR-407 is still a more refined headphone.

However, if I can be honest, the Annie and LCD2 are more musical, better for gaming, and more immersive. So they still haven't been dethroned for me. Still, there is no doubt, the SR-407 is SERIOUS business. The SR-407 shares the same driver and apparently the sound as the almost twice as expensive SR-507, but with cheaper materials. Not sure I'd spend an extra $500 just for better build. At least in the case of the Annie, the sound was subjectively improved and fixed whatever issues a lot of people had.

If the comfort was better, and the cups were circular like the Omegas, I think I'd go for these in a heartbeat.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #13,179 of 48,562
Spending more time with the SR-407.

I don't think anyone would NOT be impressed by it. That sound... I mean, it simply blows everything away... If the comfort was better, and the cups were circular like the Omegas, I think I'd go for these in a heartbeat.

Ba-Dup.
Does the headphone really make some sort of refractive/reflective advantage out of the boxy shape, I wonder? Or if somebody used electrostatic tech and designed from scratch today, would the form-following-function look different?

I'm debating a test of Reach and DH again, now, with the soundstage enhancing effects of a properly powered headphone and tubes. On one hand, I have to be leaving for work 7 hours from right now. On the other hand, I took a nap from 5 to 9:20 tonight, and I'm impatient.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #13,181 of 48,562
That's a relief. Much better imaging with the amp. What was happening was rear cues were ok, but frontal positioning was barely better than stereo. Amped (double amped), the depth was much better, and rear positioning was even more distinct. I feel like, for my ears, DH has better rear positioning cues than frontal, but the amp lent each sound more control and authority so I could get the best my DSS had to offer. I could distinctly tell when people were coming from behind and quite a few times I was saved or got the jump on someone because I was more aware than they were. I am relieved to report that the DSS will suffice to give me console surround.

If I could combine the frontal depth and imaging of THX with the rear cues of DH, possibly with better definition from a better DAC, and less echo particularly in menu screens, I think that would be the best for me. I haven't heard SC in a while to compare side-by-side.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #13,182 of 48,562
I had mentioned that most of these headphones needed extra power than the DH amps. The HE-400 is one example. Not exactly hard to drive, but it was decent at best without the aid of an external amp. Adding an amp really improved the sense of space and rear positional cues.

As for front positional cues, I don't find anything 'clearly' better than anything else. Stereo, DH, THX Tru Studio, they all sound nearly the same in projecting a front image. DH does front-left, and front-right with better distance than the others. The Recond 3D's angled front cues are actually a bit odd, as I mentioned on the guide (and Nameless had issues with as well). The 'travel' of a positional cue from the front ceneter to the front sides is too quick, and unnatural compared to DH and stereo. It's too quick to transition from say 12 o clock to 3 as an example.

Still, front cues aren't THAT important as you can see them on screen.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #13,183 of 48,562
Hey Mad Lust Envy, what would you recommend between these two?

PC360 or the DT 990 Pros.

Does the PC360's do enough to immerse? Better than normal gaming headets like a40s or trittons etc.

And will the DT 990s do enough for competitive. I'm playing games more like WoW and other MMOs, Call of duty and battlefield maybe once in awhile. Also do the DTs need much power would a sound card/Astro Mixamp pro 2013 be enough?

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #13,184 of 48,562
The PC360 is balanced, if a little on the boring side. It's a decent all rounder, but if FPS gaming isn't a top priroty, I'd go for some DT880 Pros instead as the best of both worlds.

The 990 Pros are on the bassy side, and not the best in balance. It's clearly geared for bass and fun.

All the Beyers I've reviewed need some power behind them in addition to whatever gaming DH amp you use.

I think I'd honestly save up for a desktop amp to help power any headphone. Magni, E9K being the cheapest I'd go for. Magni is probably more ideal as it will drive the lower ohm cans without issues, whereas the E9K may alter the sound slightly.

However, the Essence STX has plenty of power (as much as the E9)

In other news:

To celebrate my 10,000+ posts, as well as things falling in place at the right time, the next coming weeks will have THREE reviews, two of them being electrostatics, and one headset.

I've basically finished the Stax-407 review, but I won't post it until it's out of my hands. I still have a whole day to further test it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back